17 Questions re-born: Now called '23 Questions'

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? 23 Questions (Sequel to 17 questions) 17 Questions re-born: Now called '23 Questions'

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Following close on the heels of the abnormally hugely successful ’17 Questions’ forum that was born back in 2015, this new year of 2018 sees a brand new ’17 Questions’- type forum being created with a totally different set of questions PLUS a few more. The new iteration is called ’23 Questions”, titled after discovering that John has a fascination with the number 23. Although it now appears in the ‘What else is on your mind?’ forum for the time being, it will soon have an honorable place among the list of other forums so as to make it easier for you to access.

In the previous iteration of ’17 Questions’, a certain amount of time was allocated to each question for members’ replies before the next question was asked.  This format seemed to work just fine; and a similar format may be considered for use with this latest iteration.  Members will be notified via the forum regarding any changes to the format.

So, for all you ‘deep thinkers’ out there, why not drop in to the brand new ’23 Questions’ forum and have a go at answering the very deep and meaningful questions.

Please note:  For this entry only, and until the forum is listed among the other forums on the main forums page, the first question will be asked within the ‘What else is on our mind forum?’ for this one time only and will be moved to the new ’23 Questions‘ forum in due time, once created.

Looking forward t seeing you there!
    Great Scott    🙂

• This topic was modified 2 years ago by John (BGD)John (BGD).
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Oh, goody goody! More mind-bending questions from the skewed encephalon of Great Scott! 23 is actually my 2nd favorite number (after 17), so nice choice! But can we really handle 40 questions from GS?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Spine-chilling!

Great ScottGreat Scott

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Question #2:
    “Well, fiddle–dee–dee, and fiddle–dee–doo. Here is question number two!”  🙂

This question comes with two (2) parts.  Feel free to answer either just Part A , Part B, or answer both.

Question:
    You have decided to learn to play the fiddle. Some of you already play other musical instruments. From a musical perspective (regarding any musical instrument — including voice)…

Part A:
    What do you believe is preventing you from realizing your full potential as a musician?  i.e; What obstacles are getting in your way? E.g. Finances, Isolation, Health issues, family, technical issues, difficulty learning, etc.

Part B:
    What do you think you can do to move beyond these obstacles?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well, in my case…there are technical problems…like getting your fingers where they are supposed to be at any one time…which requires practice.  But more than that, to me, the biggest challenge in any instrument I’ve played, including the fiddle, to answer part A…not enough practice time.  But ultimately, when I do practice or play, the thing I want to accomplish is to first, learn the notes; second, forget the notes and learn what the notes are building, the passages or musical sentences, you could say; and third, to then pay attention to the notes once again, realizing their purposes.  That’s part B maybe…or maybe still A…what can I do to correct this?  Listen to what I am playing…see if it makes sense or is it just a string of notes, not connecting to one another, like isolated words or a sentence with meaning.  Here’s part C…make time for practice…and learn to listen better.  I guess that’s all I can think of.

Great ScottGreat Scott

I can see where you are coming from,Cricket. Regarding your answer,  I think technical issues are a major hurdle for most people learning to play an instrument.  You are already a fairly well-accomplished musician, and I am sure that you will get better and better as your journey continues — time permitting.  I never doubt your abilities.  🙂

I have amended the question to make it a little clearer.  I needed to emphasize in my amendment that the question is pertaining not only to the technical issues; but it also includes such things as Finances, health issues, financial problems, isolation, family, time, incarceration, etc.

cricketcricket
    Participant

My husband used to teach GED in jail, and according to him, they don’t allow fiddles in there but as a extra special gift for his students, he’d take them earplugs to help them tryto keep their sanity…note to self…don’t ever break any laws….lol.  The other stuff…I don’t know…I used to make a list everyday so I could keep up with stuff around here, get in a workout, play some music, etc.  After having been retired for a while I just quit trying…people need stuff…most can’t manage and have big problems and it seems we have been the only ones who could help…my lists don’t survive the chaos.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Part A: 1st and most honest answer is “Laziness”! It takes a heck of a lot of effort and struggle to be able to play music on any instrument. Putting forth the effort – often riddled with struggle – is discouraging at best. Yes, I’ll agree there’s a flow experience when things begin to fall into place; but it’s getting there that one remembers when the mood to play strikes him/her.

For me, I like to commit everything to memory so that I can play it without having to look at any sheet music available. Many of the tunes I play (especially most of my Bluegrass breaks) I’ve learned from repeatedly listening to them and figuring out the notes with no sheet music available at all and arranging them to my liking.

So, I guess Part A would be “Laziness” and somewhat a “Difficulty in learning”.

Part B: Normally, I practice every day. I may practice banjo more than fiddle each day for a while until I swing the other way and practice more fiddle for a few days and then repeat the whole process. Rarely do I miss a day where I do not play some musical instrument and learn something. The obstacle is laziness and to move beyond it will require a “new” challenge.

The “Flow Channel” has to do with the quality of experience. If I’m bored with a certain practice routine, then I’m outside of the channel because I have more skill than my task at hand requires. If I’m frustrated with the task, it generally means I lack the requisite skills and need to slow down, accept the challenge and learn those skills to get back in the channel.

So, if I’m bored (too many skills) or frustrated (too few skills) I need to take inventory and see where I’m at and adjust accordingly. That decreases the difficulty in learning and increases the enjoyment for the effort and struggle I put forth and keeps me in the channel.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

[Part A ] Not putting enough time to memorize my tunes , Its easier to play from the tabs , but that’s not helpful at a jam or to move forward and play by ear !

[ Part B ] Put Forth the effort to memorize each song one at a time ! I know from experience that each song gets easier , and after doing enough tunes to cover the bases  , It gets easier for me to pick up on other tunes by ear as tunes are related , I think for me the guitar was about fifty or so tunes I could follow just about any tune once I heard the tune through the verse and chorus , So I am hoping the same works for me with the fiddle

cricketcricket
    Participant

In a way it might be a lucky thing I have trouble reading tab or music.  I can use tab on the fiddle, banjo or guitar as a tool here and there, but I can’t sit and read off and play tab…so…if I learn anything new, it’s always just memorized by learning.  I can read music, but not play any instrument with the music…I have to translate the written music by learning to hum it, then find those notes on an instrument by ear, and then playing it…so, once again…it can be a tool, but not as helpful as tab…still, it’s all gotta go to memory automatically.  Still…I just don’t have the time to learn stuff anymore…hoping one of these days things will slow down and i can get back to learning new stuff.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Great responses, everyone. Thanks, GS, for a great question.

For my part, practice time is critical. With a few weeks of full-time practice, I can be at a professional touring level. However, it takes consistent maintenance to remain there. And believe me, it is really hard to find the time to keep my fiddling up at a high level. Without continuous hard practice, my playing gets kind of rough and pitchy, and there’s not much I can do about that. There are also a good number of solo and competition tunes that I would love to master, but again, it’s tough to find the time. So for me, not having enough time to devote to practice is what keeps me from playing the way I want to play.

Great ScottGreat Scott

Thanks everyone for your cool responses.  And thank you, John, for sharing your response with us.

After reading the replies, I guess the BIG question to most of you is (as’ Part B’ to this questions asks)…

What are you doing or what are you going to do in order to correct the thing(s) that are hindering you from reaching your full potential?

Looking over the replies so far, time appears to be one of the biggest obstacles; so in Cricket and John’s case, what are you two doing or going to do to allow yourselves more time?  What sacrifices are you willing to make in order to find more time?  Excuses (so tired of hearing them) are NOT an option; so please spare us from listening to them!  We want to hear a solid commitment from you, and Cricket, as to what you will be doing to free yourselves up to make more time. Your verbal promise(s) / commitment will be accepted as a binding CONTRACT… and we expect it to be signed in blood!  MWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  I’m serious!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Learn to say NO…that’s the only way I’ll get more time.  It’s not like in John’s situation, where he is busy with careers, family, teaching, the web site, etc.  With me,  I feel guilty and selfish to allow any time for myself.  I have to put a lot of other people first…I always come in last on my list…lol.  Maybe i was just raised that way…i don’t know.  Not too good for music, though.

Great ScottGreat Scott

General address:

“Self love is something the soul cries out for; but very few hear those cries. Therefore,  I say to you:  Listen to those cries; nurture your spirit when it hungers. Love each other and yourselves in all times. And until such time that you can love yourselves, you are not capable of truly loving others. How can you say ” I love my brother!” whilst at the same time leaving your own soul starved of self-affection. Verily, I say unto you: You must sustain your own famished spirit first before offering sustenance to others.”

There is nothing wrong or hurtful when saying ‘No” to someone. It simply makes the statement that you have healthy boundaries in place. It’s all a matter of healthy boundaries and prioritizing the important things in your life.

People do not always love a “Yes” man. As long as you keep saying “Yes”, they will keep asking for more.  Give others the opportunity to help themselves first, and look for signs that they truly are trying to help themselves before jumping in with your kindness.

It’s time for you, girl, to tell them all a big fat “NO!”

Participant

Oh boy. That is one great question!

A – just time. Life passes by so quickly, doesn’t it. It seems like practice time is the hardest time to find. Because I play other instruments, each one gets about 15 – 20 minutes a day. That’s not much.

B – I don’t know. The above is all I can do right now. I have seen improvements.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thanks for the answer Faye, it’s a great question.

Cricket, I do have the same problem as you. I have trouble saying NO to so many commitments that come up. However, I value time with friends, and it is difficult to tell a friend that I don’t have time to visit or talk. But, that is primarily what chokes up most of my time.

GS, to answer your question, I am going to say NO a little more. This week I intentionally protected my Monday so that I can work on music. It was really tough!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Faye, thank you for taking the time to leave a reply to this question.  It appears that the old time bandit is playing havoc on many people’s lives.  Time is one of the most important resources; one that is elusive and yet ever present.  The daily grind, the commitments we make to others, our work load, the rushing around trying to get things done quickly so we can make up for lost time elsewhere — it seems that whatever endeavor we employ to ‘create’ more time for ourselves or utilize what little time we have, this valuable commodity flits so easily away from us no matter how hard we try to capture it.

I suppose the biggest thing we can do in order to make more time for ourselves or make better use of the little time we have is to continually keep prioritizing and restructuring our lives.

I am very pleased that y’all could be candid in answering this question, which indeed was created so that some of you could look closer at your individual situation and try to overcome those obstacles that have grown to become a hindrance to your musical growth.

Great ScottGreat Scott

John, I am very pleased that you have set aside Mondays to be your day of music.  I think the whole world should set aside EVERY Monday as the ‘International Weekly Day of Music’

So, you’re going to say “No” a little more, eh?  Could THIS be the reason for your silence?  I mean, you never phone!  You never e-Mail! You never write!  You never visit!  I never see you anymore!  It’s like you’re living in a bubble at the end of the world!  Heck! I’d settle for ANYTHING just to hear from you— even if it meant you driving by my house in the middle of the night and hurling a mouthful of  abuse at me through the driver’s window.  At least I’d know we were still in touch!   🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha thanks GS, I have actually gotten a good bit done today already! Today I am working on “Jesus Loves Me” for my beginner fiddle campers, and the standard-tuning version of “Black Mountain Rag.”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.