2016 Golden Lion Awards

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Golden Lion Awards at BGD 2016 Golden Lion Awards

This topic contains 60 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s time to play the music!
    It’s time to light the lights!

Welcome, everyone, to the 2016 Golden Lion awards!

[WILD CHEERING]

Thank you, thank you. It is so good to see all of you here. The room is so beautiful with all you ladies in gowns and all you gentlemen looking so dapper. It looks like Børge has a new hat, and… is that Gu in a tuxedo? As I scan the crowd, I see several dozen countries represented. So good of you all to make the trip! You can really feel the excitement in the room as we prepere to hand out the most prestigious fiddle award on the internet… The GOLDEN LION!

And now for the moment you have all been waiting for. The presentation of the Golden Lions!

GOLDEN LION AWARD #1
    THE COMPOSER’S CORNER

The first award is for outstanding contributions to the Composer’s Corner. This was  NOT an easy decision. The moderator and I have spent the last two days sequestered in the executive boardroom of BGD Tower, taking only our meals and the occasional strawberry-papaya smoothie as we deliberate on the most deserving recipients.

First, I would like to give honorable mention to three fantastic compositions which were appreciated by all. In no particular order:

Lucy Pevensie – Lucy’s Composition
    Rock – Rock’s Composition
    Fiddliferous – The Backwoods Reel

And now, for the winner of the Golden Lion award for the Composer’s Corner, and his very own copy of
    Band in a Box UltraPlusPak from PGMusic!

Nagumaq – Goodbye November

GOLDEN LION AWARD #2
    THE LION’S DEN

First, I would like to give Honerable Mention to ten brave souls who entered the Lions Den on multiple occasions. In no particular order:

Angela
    Fran H
    Fiddlewood
    The Future Streetfiddler!
    Icebike
    Fiddliferous1950
    Joe
    Tomi
    Butch Dixon
    EJStidham

And, now, for the prize of first runner-up, a red ribbon and a
    $25 gift certificate to fiddlershop.com
     go to…

Cricket! 

Cricket also tied with Rodger for the honor of “Longest Ramble in the What-Else-Is-On-Your-Mind Forum.”

And finally, your 2016 Golden Lion winner for the Lion’s Den forum… For her outstanding contributions to the Lion’s Den this year, the winner of the 2016 Golden Lion Award and a
    $50 gift certificate to fiddlershop.com go to…

Kaeleigh! 

Congratulations to all of our winners and honorary mentions. BGD would not be the same without them, and their contributions are much appreciated! The Golden Lion Award will be an on-going annual event here at BluegrassDaddy.com. And, as such, you are all encouraged to enter as many of your own self-playing videos for critique in the Composer’s Corner and Lion’s Den forums during 2017. You never know; it could be YOU receiving a Golden Lion this time next year!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Doggone, I’m only wearing ol Jeans!  Congratulations to Gu…👏👏👏!  Who knows what wonderful thing you will do with a band in a box…it’ll be exciting to see what comes next, besides maple syrup, of course! Congratulations to Kaeleigh👏👏👏! You’ve shared so much and have obviously worked hard at fiddling excellence! I’m always happy to see what you’re playing! Of course I’m humbled to be among the chosen…and WOW to all other participants at BGD. Everybody here has so much to offer.  Whoops, am I rambling…where’s Rodger…I don’t like to ramble alone, and next time…we need some competition here on these long and winding posts…but, now it’s celebration time, and new year time…time to get our batteries recharged and priorities organized. Come on, guys ( and that includes us girls too), a new year is here…time to make music, share music, learn music, breathe music!  Thank you John and Great Scott, too, for the wonderful place we have here because of your dedication, hard work, and open arms.  Next award ceremony I’ll dress up…I’ll wear NEW jeans😏!

Joe
    Participant

Haha that was fun, John you are so full of surprises.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great Scott’s idea! I hope you all enjoy this. We really do appreciate your online presence here. Every time you contribute to the forum, BGDU becomes a bigger and more beautiful place.

Congrats to Kaeleigh🎻🎶🎶🍰👍

And congrats to all who join This side:)

Happy new year😃🤠

HeyMikey
    Participant

Congratulations,

I haven’t posted in The Lions Den yet but I have been inspired to attempt learning some of the songs others do. Many I’ve never heard before seeing them here.

Thanks to all of you brave folks!

Mike

Angela
    Participant

Congratulations to all the winners.  And all the nominees.  I am so inspired by all of you.  Thanks for the community.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Lots of fun. Congrats everyone. Thanks BGD!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I just ordered myself a dark, low dust rosin that costs about 8 times as much any of the stuff I have laying around here currently, or ever…lol.  Hopefully that will make for some pretty smooth bowing. Plus a wall hanger so my fiddle can sit up above where all the action takes place around here…out of danger! Also picked up a sound post straightener…which sent me slightly overboard, but, oh well…ya never know when you’re gonna need that kinda stuff. Gosh I sure appreciate that!🎻🎻🎻

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

WOW.  I am just happy for honorable mention. Congratulations to ALL ! ! !

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Thank you so much! Yay! It’s such an exciting surprise for me to win anything 🙂

This is such a wonderful site, and it’s so fun to be part of this great group of fiddlers!

Thank you Mr. Cockman, for making such a worthwhile learning place as BGD!!!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

On no, you mean now we have to protect our ‘golden wind bag’ ribbon?  That’s going to take some doing Cricket!  After sifting through all that for the last year the guys in the white suits with the butterfly nets are probably hauling John away…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Rodger, I never told you, but the farm I grew up on was actually called the Funny Farm. 🙂

Congrats to all! Cricket, I knew you would put the prize to good use. Kaeleigh, you are very deserving! I’m not kidding; I consider you all to be a big part of this site. You are the BGD family!

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Wow ! I must give credit to Jasmyn my beautiful wife and friend who by agknoleging the strange creepy sound of the stainless steel pot full of water on the fire place , made me sample and add originality to this song .  I am at lost of words how happy childlike feeling in me receiving the gift 🎁 Of Sound recording ( big WOW), hopefully now I will be able to conclude the original with some Algonquin vocals and slip it back into the Den .

thank you John and Great Scott , feeling like a million tunes ! Love you all s much, congrats to all and CONGRATS TO KAELEIGH , THE REAL lions Den Lioness !

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Congratulations Gu…now all you have to do is find time to make some more music…(please?)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger, better think of something to say…we have a job to do on here and can’t let the long-winded conversations slip away from us!  Like I said to Rock…my problem is that everything reminds me of something else.  Rock, are you staying close by enough to read here?  Hope things are going as well as they can with you and your dad and family.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

My sincere apologies for not being able to post my Congratulations and words of thanks and gratitude sooner than now to the winners and all those who were honorably mentioned — as well as to everyone else who entered the Lion’s Den in 2016.  I know without doubt, that, by contributing your videos to the Lion’s Den — from those members just getting started with the fiddle to those more advanced players — your valiant efforts have been a huge inspiration to so many people; and no doubt, a wonderful learning and growing experience for yourselves.  Thank you all again, for your wonderful contributions and presence.

I extend those same sentiments to all the members who contributed their fabulous original songs and tunes to the Composers forum.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Kaeleigh — You have truly come a long way to being a wonderful fiddler.  Your dedication to practice and your acceptance of, and, utilization of critique advice offered to you has clearly demonstrated your continual improvement in every video you posted.  I hope your award and prize inspires you to do great things!

Cricket — I somehow knew that Rosin would be the first thing on your shopping list.  After all these years, you deserve a decent block of quality rosin.  The wall hanger is a great choice, as is the soundpost adjuster.  Life is too short to go without the simple things that add a bit of happiness it.

Bien joué, Gu!   I guess now we will have to hold your feet to the fire in hope of you coming up with some truly outstanding tunes this year.  No pressure, of course!  Many happy and rewardingly creative hours of music making await you.

🙂  🙂   🙂

Participant

John,  this is a wonderful surprise tonight. Congratulations to Bluegrass Daddy for making these awards possible. Congratulations to everyone!! I do love this forum. I will get back to fiddling soon because I’m working with a physiotherapist to help the tear in my rotator cuff get better. Not practicing for a few weeks now will likely set me back a lot but that’s okay because I still love fiddling and will keep listening to Bluegrass Daddy’s wonderful lessons and of course, the Lion’s Den. Thanks everyone. 🙂

Ann

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ann, I’m glad to hear you are moving forward with the therapy. Make sure they know fiddling is top priority! 🙂

Gu, that was an acceptance speech for the ages. Please let me know if you need any assistance using the BiaB!

Great Scott, I believe the awards banquet was a smashing success. Thanks again for the moderating and great ideas in 2016. You deserve an award as well!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

But hold on just a minute….When do we eat??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, hey…gettin’ hungry here…got any virtual pork rinds or something?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha sorry, the BGD Golden Lion awards ceremony was on a shoestring budget this year. No food, and we had to clear out by 6:30 PM to make way for a Woodmen of the World banquet. Next year, however, we rent the whole room and include the chocolate fountain!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Anything chocolate sounds pretty good to me.  Those Woodnen of the World have a lodge down the road from here…we never heard of it before and don’t know what it is they do, but we see them in there st night, standing together like when people sing in a church house.  We never could figure out what they do…it’s a very small building, but we see them in there when we drive by at night. I’ll tell them we need the entire building next time!  If there’s gonna be chocolate, we need lotsa space!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

A ‘Banquet’ on a shoestring?  I can relate to that somehow..

Oh well , at least you weren’t stuck with having to do the dishes.

Never hear of those W.o W., but out in Portland they have a place called Ferrels Ice Cream Parlor.  It’s bigger than a really big restaurant, and they serve a treat called the ‘Portland Zoo’.    If you’re with a gang and order a Portland Zoo, it comes to your table balanced on a stretcher carried by 4 waiters.  They run crazily all over the entire joint carrying this huge tub of like exotic banana split and singing crazy & hollering.  After they get the attention & annoyance of the entire crowd they come to your table & ask what the occasion is and then sing an appropriate song in 4 part harmony.

I was there when I was asked to make the trip to be in the wedding of my best friend from college days.  But as our luck would have it, by the time we found the place, it had just locked it’s doors.  We could look inside and watch the going’s on.  We finally got a waiters attention and convinced him to deliver a Portland Zoo to the bachelor party out in the parking lot.  So they came out and ran around the parking lot and we ate our Portland Zoo setting in the car.  They sang “So Long it’s Been Good to Know You”. (In honor of the wedding..)

Just no way you could ever make this stuff up.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s a really crazy story.  Sounds kinda like an experience everybody oughta have once in their life…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha this reminds me of a place that serves two gallons of ice cream and banana split toppings. It’s called the “kitchen sink” and they actually bring it to your table in a kitchen sink. That would be a nice thing to have on each table at next year’s Golden Lion awards. I’ll check the restore for deals on sinks.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Somebody was telling me the other day they went into an ice cream shop and ordered a banana split, and the kids working in there had no idea what it was, how to go about making one, it what to charge. We were laughing that it must be a baby boomer thing, not a millennial thing. I make them at home for a special treat, but not often, and just for Mike and me. My daughter never could have anything like that because she’s allergic to milk proteins.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

LOL sounds like someone else thought L’Arte del Gelato was an ice cream shop. Why are they always from Kentucky?

None of that high-falootin’ stuff here, though. At the next BGD Golden Lion Awards, I promise to have all-you-can-eat, build-your-own banana splits and deep-fried snickers bars galore!

lucy pevensie
    lucy pevensie
    Participant

Oh, what fun!  Congratulations and great job, Kaeleigh and everyone who got awards – and thank you again, Dr. Cockman, for a wonderful site!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The thought of a deep fried Snickers will always bring me back!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Deep fried Snickers Bar?? Fried in what, pray tell??

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Who cares, as long as there’s a snickers bar somewhere in all that greasy mess!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, …OK…I guess? (Maybe)

Second thought I think I’ll dig out a box of chocolate ice cream & put some whipped cream on it, now that my flapjacks & ham has settled a little…actually that will be after my carrot pie  with whipped cream…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s easy! Just coat the snickers bar in pancake batter, fry in cooking oil, then sprinkle on the powdered sugar! These little appetizers will be all the rage at next year’s awards.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Deep-Fried-Snickers-Bar

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

How cool! Congrats to all!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The whipped cream sounds great…just don’t let our chihuahuas hear the sound of the canned stuff…they come runnng and demand their fair squirt to the snout.

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Yayyyyyyy ! I mean , YEEEEEEEhaw ! I got the box in the real mail today , I am so happy , now , I have a Geek friend , she doesnt mind me calling her that , Janine , she will get me built a new computer just for music and Band in a Box .

Merci encore , thank you again , and again , most righteous Bluegrassdaddy.com  , John your the best :O)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You’re gonna have so much fun, Gu!

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Deep fried snickers are my all time favorite at the fair.  A few pointers. . .freeze the snickers before coating it in batter. . .and wrapping them in crescent rolls or biscuit dough is a lot less messy (I learned from experimentation)  a little butter on them when they come out of the grease and roll in powdered sugar yum yum  And I also use the mini-snickers bars. . .much easier handling and because they are small you can eat more of them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in