3 New Tunes in 2 Days.

This topic contains 34 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’ve been playing three “new” fiddle tunes in the last couple of days. Thank goodness they’re easy ones to learn. The “Logger’s Breakdown” in Bb, the “Miller’s Reel” in A and the “Quebec Reel” in D. I’ve got them committed to memory so I’ll have fun playing them tonight at a couple of places I’m playing.

It’s so much fun learning “new” tunes. Of course, the more the merrier but sometimes I notice I’ve forgotten other tunes that now require a whole lot more work to get up to speed on again. For example “Highland Hornpipe”, ouch! lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Congrats on learning new tunes and having them ready to go.  Maybe we’ll get to hear them here, if we’re lucky!  I agree I learn tunes and months and years go by, then find myself forgetting them and have to spend time trying to get them down again.  I used to play The Entertainer on guitar…probably the hardest thing I ever knew on the guitar, and I could play the thing all the way through…all the parts.  Well, time went by and somehow it got dusty, and then so dusty I realized one day I flatout forgot the whole thing…I put so much effort here into John’s Golden Fiddle Waltz lesson, had it just to where I could struggle through to practice it…stuff happened and I forgot that whol3 doggone thing too…lol.  I guess that’s why I stick with easy stuff anymore …easier to pick back up again if it gets too dusty.  Have fun playing your new tunes and hopefully you can share with us…I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of the ones you mentioned.

Angela
    Participant

Any chance you will play them for us in the Lion’s Den?  😊🤞

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, please! Both Fred and Cricket!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’m in Tennessee and away from my recording equipment (which is still in New York state) and unable to provide videos to members of this website, sorry to say.

I’m all set for tonight’s performance to fiddle the following tunes: G:Roanoke; A: Missouri Road; Bb: Logger’s Breakdown; G: Acoustic Toothpick; D: Long Bow; D: Mountain Strings; A: Virginia Darlin’; A: Blue Mountain Waltz; A: Laughing Boy; C: Stone’s Rag; Em: Southern Flavor; A: Dance With Me Molly; A: Arab Bounce; E: Dry and Dusty; F: Smokey Mountain Rag; A: Devil’s Dream; D: Forked Deer; and Dm: Lonesome Moonlight Waltz.

It’ll be a blast. Can’t wait!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Have a fun times with those…you gotta cell phone, don’t you…lol?  Put em on YouTube!  But, seriously…just have fun…it’s not always possible to record.  I know they’ll sound great.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket, I’ll have to figure out how to do that. I don’t know what to use to prop up the phone while I record….lol

Boy oh boy was that fun jamming with everybody, though. I didn’t get anywhere near through my fiddle list because the circle was pretty huge. What a blast getting together with old friends and playing music. Everybody is so tight (by lots of practice) that it’s a real flow experience performing with them.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like lots of fun, Fred!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Glad you had a great time!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I learned another tune this morning called “Tennessee Rag”. I first learned a tune by Benny Martin improperly named the same, but later discovered it was actually “Grey Eagle”. So I’m calling my “new” tune Tennessee Rag taken from an old fellow on YouTube. It’s kind of catchy and fun to play.

I can remember when I used to smoke cigarettes (thirty years ago and counting) and when I’d finish some task, I’d stand back and light up a smoke and “reward” myself. That feeling of euphoria caused when I dragged that first puff was quite the treat back then as I admired my work just completed.

Now-a-days after all the hard work of learning a “new” fiddle tune after having gone over and over it perhaps a hundred times, I get to play it up to speed with my own signature licks embedded tastefully within. Now that’s my “reward”. It’s a wonderful feeling having learned a fiddle tune and putting it in a list of others, hard-earned as well. That’s my “smoke” now-a-days. lol

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s a great reward! (Warning: it may be just as addictive!)  Hope to hear the Tennessee Rag someday.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Pretty soon, John. I’m working out a way to hold my phone and record and edit a tune. Almost there. It is just as addictive. You’re right! lol

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket and John: This is a test to see if I can upload a tune I just this hour made up. I had to name it something to upload it so I called it “Kick Them Feet”. (proper English of course would be “Kick Those Feet”, but since moving to the mountains my “English” has changed a bit). lol. I’ll work on getting a picture to look at when listening to the tunes in the future.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…what a fiddler you are!  That was great!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, that really did make me kick my feet! What a great tune, and you just made it up! That is awesome. My hat’s off to you!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thank you very much Cricket and John. I made lots of intonation mistakes, etc., but at least I recorded with my phone which was a first for me. I need some practice editing. I actually clipped the beginning too short and left the end too long. lol    Aaaaahh! reminds me of working in the studio. lol

Angela
    Participant

Thanks Fred! That was great!  Thanks for taking the time and trouble to record. I really enjoyed that!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

You’re very welcome, Angela. My pleasure.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Great Fred love it , I would love to hear some more of your favorite’s !

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Steve. I’ll get going on a few more recordings on my I-Phone pretty soon.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Is that your own tune, Fred?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Yes, Cricket, it’s my own tune. Just a few “Bluegrassy” licks thrown together to give me something to record. Do you like it or have you heard something similar?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I can hear the creativity Fred nice tune ! Sometimes It makes me sad knowing that the songs I write are not 100% my own , because every since the beginning of time for thousands of years of music creativity , someone’s has already done the tune , The words might be different , but all tunes make the circle , That’s why even if we have never heard the tune before , after we hear it we can follow its rhythm , because of the basic , repeating pattern , I am looking forward to when I will be able to follow songs with the violin like I do with the guitar !

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the kind comments.

It’s very interesting all the different accompaniment styles for the different fiddle tunes. Many of the Irish tunes have a kazillion chord changes often each beat requires a new chord. Most Canadian tunes aren’t quite so “busy”. Most Bluegrass tunes aren’t so busy, either. Of course there are exceptions to these statements.

It’s a real treat to run into a good fiddle tune guitar player, I can tell you that for sure. Many, many guitar players just don’t hear the chord changes in fiddle tunes and have to have them pointed out and explained, sometimes over and over. I suppose it’s like anything else, if you grow up around it, you have a better chance of understanding it more readily.

I love playing with good guitar players, I know that. They can make you while the mediocre ones can break you. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I haven’t heard that particular tune, but it sounds very bluegrassy.  It’s nice.  My daughter recently wanted me to come up with something for a film she’s working on…something grandsston could play a violin part too, but that sounded like people going through the woods ge.tting ready for a battle or something…lol…whatever it was…something she is putting together..anyway…I just started sticking weird parts onto tracks, from our yamaha keyboard sounds…after I put it up and listened to it, I thought for sure I’ve heard that exact thing somewhere before…lol.  She got sidetracked and the weather has been bad, so I don’t know when she’ll ever get back to it.  Plus, since I did that, grandson Roro has been steadily taking a violin class and practicing every day…he can play a lot more notes now that he could when I came up with that for him to play.  Anyway, yours sounds very good…well played and a nice tune.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred , My biggest problem when I play the fiddle in my circle is I am less than one year into the fiddle and I am not strong enough to carry it by myself ,  The people doing backup for me are doing  timid backup and it makes me sound bad , I am going to have to find a friend to come along and play strong rhythm ,  so the others have someone to follow , It does not take much of others being lost for me to lose my focus and become lost too , then all is lost ! When I sing and play my own guitar Rhythm I am able to bull dog my way through and ignore those who are lost ! But not so on the fiddle , LOL

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Well, since you folks like the tune, I might just write it down and save it for posterity’s sake. lol. When I make up fiddle tunes, often I’ll forget to record them and I get too lazy to write them down and eventually they’re lost forever. I’ll bet I’ve forgotten 25 fiddle tunes or more over the years….good tunes, too. I wish I wasn’t so lazy. it’s just such a pain to sit down and write them out.

Cricket, it’s great to know your grandson is taking interest and learning the violin. Thanks for your compliments.

Steve, you hit the nail on the head about some guitar players being lost and making you lose your place. I know exactly what you’re talking about. lol. The fiddling business will all make sense as you continue practicing little by little each day. You’ll begin to develop a real taste for bowing and intonation. I remember telling my dad years ago (he was a 4th generation fiddler in our family ancestry) that I was “falling flat on my face” every time I tried to fiddle. He told me that the only way I could fall flat on my face was if I was going forward. I never forgot that!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

when you think up a new tune, Fred, maybe bettrr take advantage of technology////turn on that cell phone and get the general idea before it gets away from you.  You could work out the details later.  Maybe easier saud than done…lol…i dont know…seems a shame to let them get away, though.

Steve, I’ve had some frustrating times jamming here in my area…I finally gave up…not having any fun with it.  I guess I’m stuck jamming by myself on the Presonus…at least I have that.  GEts lonely when you can;t find the right crowd to jam with.

My daughter ggot grandson into a violin class for homeschoolers…he’s really learning a lot, and the right way too.  He’s told me some stuff that I didn’t know about…lol…just a few months into it.  He gets better by the week.  We’re all so happy he’s the first ever in our family line to get that kind of opportunity.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

You’re right, Cricket, it’s a good idea to capture original tunes when one first creates them, and I have many times when I was in the studio or around some type of recording equipment. It’s just those times when I learn a new tune, play it for ages thinking I’ll never forget it and then along come new tunes and I do forget the older ones.

This afternoon I learned the fiddle tune called “Huckleberry Hornpipe”. It’s a catchy tune from Byron Berline. I’ve heard it for years but never thought about learning it until I got it in an email today. I’m having a lot of fun with it and I’ll play it tonight when I perform in Bluff City, TN.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I never heard that one before…have fun with it tonight.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I had a blast with the fiddle tunes we all played last night at the jam. I played The Logger’s Breakdown, Miller’s Reel, Quebec Reel, Windy City Rag, Huckleberry Hornpipe, Dreamer’s Waltz, Acoustic Toothpick, and probably at least a dozen more and my buddy John played Over The Waves, Ookpik Waltz, Buffalo Gals, East Tennessee Blues, Roxanna Waltz and a whole lot more. We had an older gentleman who absolutely was top shelf on fiddle tunes rhythm guitar accompanying us.

What a blast!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred That’s a solid hour at three minutes a song , just on your part , You were a busy, happy, fiddling around Grandpa , What fun ! I play a lot of solo shows for our senior citizen center from 10:00 am to noon , then they have lunch , I do about 60 tunes or so with out backup by myself , so most songs only last about three minutes and less , I am always very done when my two hours is up , LOL !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ha that didn’t sound much like an Eastern TN jam session until your buddy John joined in. 🙂 I bet it was awesome though! Sounds like you’re having a blast. Hey, dust off that iPhone and record some of the jam for us next time!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Yes, Steve and John, it was quite a session. I usually play almost all Bluegrass tunes, but when I get together with my friend John, I switch over to different fiddle-tune tunes and not so much Bluegrass.

He’s kinda just learning and I have a blast harmonizing with his stuff and he listens to mine and decides if he wants to try to learn any of it.

I’ve got to remember that I can record with the iphone.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes you can!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in