50th Anniversary of banjo and fiddle

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? 50th Anniversary of banjo and fiddle

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hello all my BGD friends:

Today is a special day for me in two distinct ways.

1. I enter my 50th year of having played the banjo and the fiddle. I started playing other classical instruments much earlier in life but didn’t have an interest in Old Time, Country or Bluegrass ’til I was 19 years of age. So, it’s my 50th Anniversary for the fiddle and banjo!
    2. Today is my birthday and I’ve managed to reach the last year of the wonderful 60’s. Next year, I’ll be 70.

So, 69 years young and 50 years of fiddling. Gonna be a great day!

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Frederick Frederick.
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Happy Birthday and congratulations, Fred! My best to you on this momentous occasion, my new friend.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Happy birthday and happy anniversary!! Here’s to several more!

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Happy Birthday and congrats on anniversary

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank you very much Jim, Gunnar and John. I really appreciate it. I’m having a great morning playing fiddle tunes! 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Fred!  50 years of playing banjo and fiddle…that’s some pretty good experience!  I’ve played the guitar for …let me count…keeps changing because I keep getting older…ummmm….let’s see…56 years…except really I started playing the guitar 56 years ago and there were plenty of years inside of those 56 years where I didn’t play…didn’t have an instrument, didn’t have strings, didn’t have time, etc.  Banjo is next but I’d say 46 years for that one, although I changed my style totally something like 15 or 20 years ago and rarely play it like I did before…alhtough at times I might…then fiddle…well I started the fiddle many, many, many times…many false starts because i just never had an instrument to work with and really didn’t start for real until 2009.  That’s when I got a fiddle…then…whoa, seriously tried to work with it.  I first picked one up and tried to learn about 40 years ago…but it was always either somebody else’s fiddle I just used a few days or a broken one that just didn’t play right or hold up for playing, chewed up bows with hardly any hair, no rosin, not all four strings…lol…you name it.  Well anyway…hope you have/ had a great birthday and celebration of half a century of playing bluegrass-type instrunments…not to mention the piano and such.  Happy musical birthday too.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You so much, Cricket. I really appreciate your kind words. I had a great birthday and anniversary.

(I wish I knew how to play the Fifty Year Waltz/Golden Anniversary Waltz, because I would have recorded it today.) 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well you could still play it before the year is out…lol…guess you could learn it and play it before year 51 is lookin’ at ya!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, you’re right. I’m going to learn it and play it this year! Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

Congratulations, Fred, on half a Century Of making the World a better place, with your Banjo and Fiddle Music, and on reaching the Eve, of Seven Decades…May you keep going strong!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

What Ed said!  Major milestones in every way, my friend!  Keep on keepin’ on.  Hope to hear that Golden Anniversary Waltz, as only you could play it, one of these days before the year is up!

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Fred,

So, 69 years young and 50 years of fiddling. Gonna be a great day!

Congratulations on the milestones.  In years I’m not that far behind you – in playing the fiddle the difference is in light years.  Not so far behind in playing the guitar though.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing what you have learned over the years with us on BGD.  You are a kind soul!

Kenny

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I know this is a closed forum so it’s probably safer than most places, but it ain’t generally a very good idea to tell your birthday on the net…I always use incorrect dates when sites want my birthday, birth year, etc.  So depending on what I’m on…Facebook, some forum (which I’ve greatly narrowed down), I could be anywhere from 100 years old to 40 years old…born on major holidays, etc….lol.  Speaking of our online life…I’m really trying hard to remember…here we are working on this wall…and seems so many times in our lives we have been working hard at some project for somebody that really needed it done, etc., lots of work, work, work…and we’ve taken a lot of breaks…work a little, break and drink something, work a little, break, etc., to just keep it from being so overwhelming with just the two of us doing all the stuff…anyway, I’ve been trying hard to remember what I did before internet times, or even before mobile device times…I mean, there was a time when I got on the net but it had to be on the big ol’ computer in a room of its own…now…it’s like the daggone cell phone does more than the big ol’ computer…so…help me, help me…anybody old enough to remember…what did we all do with odd moments here and there, or even with long days or evenings of not much going on…what did we do when online was not in existence yet??????  Honestly…I cannot remember.  Spent a lot of time over the past three days trying to not get online…but I was so antsy…noodled around on fiddle…but I have trouble enjoying myself with such choppy time limitations for that…also doodling around with artwork here and there…same thing…we take short breaks and doing anything in that time just seems to be a hassle…yet…I honestly cannot remember what I did in such situations in the past…when we didn’t even have a land line phone, let alone an annoying cell phone…with which I have a love / hate relationship…lol.  Anybody remember life before the net?????  What did we all do??????

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Before the internet…. I think I played around chewing on baby toys…..

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You all, Ed, Cricket and Kenny. Your comments and words of encouragement are well appreciated.

I’m getting to this point:

1. Everything hurts; and what doesn’t hurt, doesn’t work!
    2. I usually feel like “the morning after” only I didn’t go anywhere last night!
    3. My knees buckle, but my pants won’t!
    4. I can only burn the midnight oil to about 9:00 p.m.!
    5. The “twinkle” in my eyes is actually the sun hitting my bifocals!
    6. My back goes out more than I do!

(The above was taken from a birthday card I received. lol)

Cricket, I never even thought about giving out my info on the net. Isn’t that crazy? Wow. I’m plagued by robo calls and I wonder why. I don’t know if I’ll ever learn. I just can’t keep up with this changing world.

I think I would love returning to a time when cell phones and computers weren’t around. I used to read lots of books. The TV programs consisted of “clean” humor. I cherish those days.

I carry a concealed weapon most of the time when I go shopping or out and around anymore. It’s a sign of the times. Been harassed one too many times in motels as I travel. Now I carry. Crazy world.

I loved growing up on the farm. Hard work but what a life it was in retrospect! 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, I hear ya…two good points there.  1.) Gettin’ old ain’t for wimps.  And 2.) it’d be so nice to get back to the old days.  I can’t stand anything on TV, but when I do get the chance I’ll try to catch a B & W Andy Griffith…it just reminds me of how things used to be.  Sort of my fantasy back into old memories.  Gunnar…since you grew up in the information / high tech age…you might get a kick outta B & W Andy to see how it used to be.  I like to notice the signs in the grocery store in the background…for one thing, they advertise cuts of meat you don’t see anymore, and the prices are so ridiculously low!  That show is like traveling through time, for me.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’d love to see the old Andy Griffith show, I think some friends of ours have a few seasons of it on flash drive, so I could try to get it. Last year I got my hands on four episodes of the Beverly hillbillies, it was awesome. We don’t have TV, so I haven’t a clue what garbage they air nowadays, but I’ve also watched some of the old superman series in B&W, and Annie Oakley, they were good

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

You’re not missing anything now…tv is terrible and just stupid stuff.  But lots of the old stuff is on youtube now if you can find it.  The thing I love about Andy B& W…they lost control when they switched to color and it was just no longer Mayberry…but the black and white…it’s just old time…the way rural, small town America was back in the 50s or so…the people were all individual and quirky in their own way (no cookie cutter personalities like you see in bigtime America today–people just formed their own unique personalities), they all pretty much got along and belonged in their own way in their community, there was always humor and respect, friendship and helpfulness, music, good intentions, etc.  I mean…it’s just all right there…I think the best show ever.  They didn’t go to big formal jams and stuff, just had coffee with each other, went to each others houses, etc., etc.  Just small town stuff the way it used to be.  Andy pulls out his Martin D28 and plays a good old song here and there in lots of episodes.  It’s my fantasy world to escape the life of here and now…lol.

I always thought I Love Lucy was good for lots of laughs… Lucy and her buddy Ethel were supposedly great friends in real life and worked up slap-stick ideas while they had coffee and visited each other.  My husband can’t stand it…lol…but i always thought it was really funny.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Speaking of things good for a laugh…here’s my rendition of “Fifty Year Ago Waltz” (not to be confused with “Golden Anniversary Waltz” which is quite similar but with a slightly different chord progression).

I chose the one to learn that more closely resembled what I’m trying to celebrate. I just learned this break about 15 minutes ago, so I’m sure I’ll perfect it as time goes by.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Beautiful waltz! Reminded me of the movie Up….

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Gunnar. (I’m not familiar with the movie you mentioned.)

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Very nice. I love waltz’s but afraid to try them.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, John. I still have several waltzes that I don’t care to tackle because they sound so complex and some of them go into positions way up the neck. I’m just happy to be able to play any of the easier ones and folks love to dance to them. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds nice, Fred!  I love a waltz on a fiddle…there are some really good ones…some are really tough to play.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. I chose to learn the “Fifty Year Ago Waltz” as it more closely reflected what I am celebrating. I do, however, want to learn the “Golden Anniversary Waltz” which is slightly “prettier” and has a slightly different chord progression. I’ll get there fairly soon, I hope.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.