A couple jig problems

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum A couple jig problems

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kaeleigh
    Participant

I’m learning a new jig (A jig is 6/8 time isn’t it?) and I’ve been having a problem with the timing. I’ve only heard two recordings of this tune (and one of them didn’t even have a fiddle in it) but it’s kind of a slow jig.

I’ve been playing along with my new metronome I bought from fiddlershop (thank you!!!) but I’m still struggling a bit with the timing.

What is a good tempo to start with? I was thinking 90 bpm, but that didn’t seem right either.

Also, there’s that note that’s so common in Irish music– kind of a pick-up note– to string together the two parts of the tune and I can’t decide whether it’s supposed to be played at the end of the last measure of the first part or the first measure of the second? And I think that might be messing with the timing a bit too.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Not that I know anything about it…lol, but where did you hear it?  What’s the name of it?  Hopefully either you’ll figure it out soon or somebody will see this and be able to offer some suggestions.  One day we’ll be getting treated to this jig in the Lion’s Den, won’t we?  I’m sure you’ll do a great job with it, as you always do.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Kayleigh –  This website has a lot of info on jigs.  Check it out!

http://learn.dojouniversity.com/how-to-use-a-metronome-to-learn-a-jig/

Also, I am guessing that the extra note that you are questioning may be a pickup note; i.e., if the last measure of the (B) part has only 5 beats, the 6th beat will be the pickup measure at the  beginning of the (B) repeat

If this is the case; I am sure Dr. John can explain it better.

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Here’s the jig, it’s the second tune on this recording and starts about a minute through:

And this gentleman plays it very nicely on guitar, but I’ve found that rather nontransferable to the fiddle 🙁

Has anyone ever heard it anywhere else? These were the only recordings I’ve seen.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Very nice.  I like it.  I don’t know much about jigs…but it will be a challenge to listen and then get a fiddling match into your thinking…I think you can do that…listen, go away humming it for a few days and see if you don’t automatically switch it over to a cool fiddl8ng part!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Kaeleigh I’m glad you’re enjoying your new metronome!

That is a cool tune. It’s around 115 bpm, in 6/8 time.

As Nancy said; the ornament at the beginning of the second A part, at the 1:17 mark of the video, belongs in the previous measure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in