A Musician's Chair

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Fayew3
    Participant

Hello,

I was at a Luthier’s shop a few days ago and was encouraged to sit on a musician’s chair for practicing. I thought the idea was a little silly, but the gentleman was so nice, so I plunked down on the chair. It was great! Helped with posture and foot stance. In my head my fiddle sounded better. LOL I’ve been thinking about it since then. It’s a pretty penny, but I thought I would ask if anyone has one and if they enjoy it?
    Adjustrite Folding Musician’s Chair Standard
    https://www.sharmusic.com/accessories/chairs/adjustrite-folding-musician-s-chair-standard.axd

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Fayew3.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Being comfortable is a good thing ! I just use a regular metal folding chair $20.00 and I bring along a couch through pillow for a cushion , LOL It would be nice if it was a little higher !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Not a very comfortable price…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

That’s a new one on me.  I don’t like to play sitting down.  I always use my legs to help out with what I’m doing, and I can’t do that sitting down.  You actually use your whole body to play the fiddle if that’s how you get used to it,  and if your sitting you can’t do that.  That’s one thing I don’t like about the orchestra since everyone is sitting down.  But, also in jams, if there’s a lot of people we usually are sitting also.  I guess it tends to be somewhat chaotic if a lot of people are standing.   Harder to keep from poking someone in the eye if it’s crowded…Embarrassing when you get tangled up & make someone mess up…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

When I was younger I loved to stow and sing and play up close and personal and standing I could project power vocally , Folks thought I had a hidden mic somewhere , So for me Standing and serenading was my thing , But now most of the time I set because everyone else is and I do in Rome what the Romans do ! LOL

Great Scott
    Great Scott

$49, yes.  $59, yes.  $179, NO!   Total rip – off at that price, for what it is!

Steve, just put some wooden blocks under the feet of your $20 chair and you will sound even more awesomer (I just made that word up.  Aren’t I clever?     🙂  than you already sound.  I am sure you could buy an ex-orchestra chair from an auction somewhere for around ($20).  I like to call these types of chars ‘Park and Play’.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve always preferred to sit while I play…mostly I’ve played fingerpicking guitar or clawhammer banjo, and for me, those both work out better to get wrist angles, etc., while sitting.  I find the same with fiddling…I’d rather sit down so I can rest the fiddle on my knee or hold it under my chin, whichever I’m in the mood for at the moment.  I have stood up on stage before, but don’t like straps tugging at me this way and that and instrument fingerboards stuck way out where I can’t get to them good, etc.  But as chairs…I’ll sit on anything…upsidedown bucket, hay bale (not the huge round ones…lol), any chair…if the chair isn’t comfortable I make myself find a comfortable spot that’ll work out for me and that chair….I would never spend more than 10 dollars on any chair…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Great Scott I just glued pvc pipe to the legs , lol

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Way to go, Steve!  You just saved yourself $179  !!!!!!  I’ll bet you are sounding better already.   🙂

Fayew3
    Participant

Oh boy! I have neglected getting back to this thread!!

Steve, I have a camping char without arms I bought many years ago and use. I would love to see your PVC glued chair. I am very curious.  🙂

Fayew3
    Participant

Fiddlewooed, Rodger, and Cricket,

I know a guy who stands. I say play how your comfy.

I am a sitter. I trained in band and then piano, so sitting is what I know. Also, 4 hours in the heat and I’m grateful for the chair. or hay. or the tailgate of a truck.

Fayew3
    Participant

Great Scott, I did say it was a pretty penny. I will not likely buy it, but I WILL dream about it.   😀

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

If you’ve got it to spend… why not?  lol…I have to be careful with every penny…so…I wouldn’t, personally.  But, hey, if you can…then it’s another story and you gotta do what keeps you happy.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I did some looking around that chair is the cheapest where your looking at it most places are asking $179.00 for it , Like Cricket said if you have the money and can afford it then why not ! I personally have bought everything I can find and research that I think can possible help me do better , from rosins , to bows , and better fiddles , to different strings , to string height , I think I have about 16 different brands of rosin , Ha ! I own four different fiddles now and about 12 bows , Some rosins are just better and help , some bows are better and help , The better the violin the more it helps , the right strings help , a lower String action makes it easier ,

Just being comfortable when you play is a plus ! But none of these things can replace putting in the time and learning how to make it happen !

So if you can afford it and it helps even a little bit then go for it !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I tend to sit on the edge of my seat, so all chairs are sort of equal. However, I don’t like to play in very plush chairs, or chairs with arms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in