Added to Daily Practice

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Added to Daily Practice

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by goettjp goettjp 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

In my quest to learn how to improvise behind a singer, I have added this arpeggio routine to my daily practice.  Using the One, Four and Five chords of the major scales I use this chart as a way to move between the chords playing the arpeggio notes.

Major Chords

For example if the song is in the key of G I will practice the arpeggio notes for G then move to C then move to D and then move back to G.

I still practice the Climbing Double stops that Dave showed me everyday. I could probably move between the climbing double stops using this same chord chart.

It is a long journey.  Sometimes I feel lost – sometimes I see a way forward.

Any thoughts on this routine?

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Here is a chart for the arpeggio notes of the major chords.

Notes of the Arpeggio

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Always good things to run through…don’t forget to have fun with a song, tune or just inventing now and then though…all work and no play you know….

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Kenny: here’s another idea you may find helpful. In your chart above where you’ve identified the actual notes you’re using in each arpeggio, how about doing this: Take for example the key of G. Play double stop chords using the G and B, then the B and D; then when you go to the IV chord use C and E and then E and G; then the V Chord use D and F# and F# and A.

To really increase your intonation, try these double stops on the same pair of strings. For example in the G Chord use G and B on the D and A strings and slide up to the B and D double stop on the same pair of strings. The C Chord chords can be done on the G and D strings and the A and E strings have the D Chord double stops. These are pretty stops while singers are busy with the melody and you as a fiddler are playing backup.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave and Fred,

Thanks for your comments.  I am working on when and where to use the double stops.  Great ideas from both of you.

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I’m at Kaufman Kamp this week, and one of the fiddle instructors suggested to everyone something I recently discovered:  StrumMachine.com…. it’s a web site written by a fiddler/programmer that has hundreds of fiddle tunes on it.  You pick the tune, set the tempo, change the key if desired and play along to real guitar backup.

I use it to practice songs I know… then, on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th go-round, I improvise over the chords, trying to keep a memory of the melody, but also spice it up a little.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, goettjp. I’ll check it out.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Goett…It looks cool, but unfortunately not free…lol.  Too broke to spend any money on it.  There is another thing like that that is free called FBBT…or something…similar thing…

http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html

I’ve used it here and there before.  But there’s not a whole lot of stuff I play on that one…just the right “price,” for our budget…lol.

Did you have a good time at the camp and learn a lot of stuff?  Where was it?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, you can use strum machine for 2 weeks for free…that’s a lot of practicing….

It doesn’t show the music for the tune being played…I find that makes it harder to play along….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well, Rodger, that wouldn’t work for me…I could start using the thing and use it once or twice and two weeks would go by where I wouldn’t get the chance to get back at it again, etc.  Wouldn’t be worth my signing up for it if it wasn’t gonna be there when I can use it.  But it looks like it is a cool thing.

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I rarely buy software or pay for web sites (present site excepted) but it really hooked me during the two-week trial.   No, it doesn’t show tabs/notation, but I have software for that already (TuxGuitar, free).

Kaufman Kamp is in Maryville TN.  Fiddle instructors were Kenny Kosek, Nate Lee and Bronwyn Keith-Hines.  I have a Homespun Tapes set from Kenny Kosek, circa 1982.  Was nice to meet him.

Best instructor was Nate Lee (who also rec Strum Machine to the class).  Didn’t sleep much, but jammed a TON…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…did you learn a lot of helpful stuff?

Eddie
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to goto Kaufman camp with guitar and never made it. Now I want to I for fiddle. Probably won’t make that either. 😳

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

goettjp,

Thanks for your post.  I downloaded Tuxguitar.  Can I turn that into fiddle tabs instead of the guitar tabs?  4 strings instead of 6?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sounds like you got it going on !

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

In Tux Guitar I created a blank fiddle tab template, GDAE.  I also have a bunch of Tux files already created.  Send me your email and I’ll give you access to that folder on my cloud….

Eddie, Kaufman Kamp is well worth the cost.  At first I balked because is was almost $900 (5 years ago).  But my wife said I would probably spend $900 on hotels in Maryville for 6 nights, plus Kaufman includes 3 meals a day (all-you-can-eat buffet in the college cafeteria), plus top-notch instruction 2x a day, plus organized jams 4x a day, plus free-style jams all night…. plus the concerts, 3 hours each night, put on by the instructors….  can’t beat it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.