Alberta Society of Fiddlers – Chapter ll

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Alberta Society of Fiddlers – Chapter ll

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, I guess I’ll try this again.  My first attempt was to reach out to anyone here in Alberta interested in the local fiddle world, but the thread got locked down so no-one can respond to get connected.  I’m sure there are lots of fiddlers within range of Alberta that would at least be interested, and possibly able to participate eventually.  So here’s a repeat of that post…

Alberta has a great organization to promote fiddling called the Alberta Society of Fiddlers.  They hold two great fiddle camps each year and numerous other events to promote fiddling.  They offer a $500 grant to hold a fiddle family dance in new communities with the goal of getting the ball rolling in bringing new fiddlers together and establishing an organized community of fidders in that location.  Along with the grant, it’s members join in to provide the fiddling for the event, while inviting local fiddlers & families.

So last night we held a family dance/fiddle event at Gull Lake, Alberta.  It was well attended and turned out great.  Lot’s of families & young people, so most of the dancing was square dancing, but not just the American type but also some other stuff like Sasha…kind of a Ukrainian style where you are constantly changing partners and doing the Sasha clap thing.  The big favorite is always the Virginia Reel.

One family had a little crippled girl in a wheel chair, and they had her out on the floor participating in her wheel chair, or carrying her in their arms, till she would go out all alone & spin around in her chair having the time of her life with her face all lite up just thrilled.  (They have these amazing high tech, small, rubber tired, wheel chairs now that are really maneuverable)

I have to say that this event was a special bright spot in today’s negativity.  It shows that there are a lot of great, wonderful families out there just mostly out of sight and carrying on just fine.  I feel privileged to have been a part of it.  But it couldn’t have happened without the hard work & sacrifice of some accomplished, dedicated people.  And in that atmosphere, all the fiddlers played better than ever.

Anyone from Alberta lurking on the forum & interested in fiddling, I hope you can connect with all this, & I’ll be glad to help out.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sounds like great fun !

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

What a wonderful thing for a fiddling association to do, sponsor the continuation of this beautiful music through a grant to the community. That’s a superb idea.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds great, Rodger.  Glad to hear they are doing stuff like that.  it’s what I call community, and sorely lacking in many places.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Our summer fiddle camp at Deer Valley Meadows is Aug 19 -24.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

What a great concept, Roger!  Keeping the fiddle music and the communities alive and kicking.  Thanks for letting us know about this great organization.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, that is precious! Thank you for supporting a great organization. I hope you are able to connect with other fiddlers in the area. I hope the fiddle camp events are well-attended!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger I wish you luck it’s a great cause !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, sorry about that — I moved the post but forgot to reopen it. Great Scott, thanks for the moderation, but no need to close a misplaced post anymore, I can now move it while it is still open! Just flag it for a move, and I’ll get it done. 🙂

Rodger, I hope you all have a great turnout this year! It’s a fantastic event and organization.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Best wishes for all fiddle camps and gatherings this summer!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in