Amelia's Waltz collaboration project

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Video Collaborations Amelia's Waltz collaboration project

This topic contains 43 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, our newest collaboration project is “Amelia’s Waltz.” The due date is September 30, 2017, so get started learning it now!

Amelia’s Waltz lesson page

This is an intermediate tune, and I have included harmony parts. If you cannot play the entire song, please at least send in a few bars! You know the drill by now: Plug in your headphones, turn on the lights and camera, turn on one of the metronome videos below, and start recording!

The best way to get the video to me is to upload it to DropBox and then share it with me. Create an account at DropBox.com. The “Basic” account is free and comes with 2 Gb of space.

Play by yourself with the metronome:

Or, play along with me!

Melody:

Harmony 1:

Harmony 2:

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Can you still take a YouTube or does it have to be Dropbox?  Just asking, because I already have YouTube and I’m lazier and lazier as I get old and all wore out…lol.  But, if the Dropbox is it, I’ll get to it…but if I can get away with YouTube, I will.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

YouTube is great! If you upload the video to your YouTube channel I can grab it from there. I’m excited about this!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The bouncing ball is missing from the lesion how do I fix it?

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Something new for me, to join in a collaboration, but sounds like a beautiful tune. Look forward to learning it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, come on guys…time’s a wastin’!  I know it seems like a long time to September, but we all know good and well how fast it’ll sneak up on us!  John said even if we could only get a line or two…we’re still in…so…we better get to learning…probably a new one for all if us…isn’t it?

Kaeleigh
    Participant

I’m super excited about this one! This time I’m going to learn both harmonies as well (That’s a challenge to self, because I really struggle with harmonies!)

And it’s also such a pretty tune!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, please get to work, everyone!

Steve, the bouncing ball is only on the measure-by-measure lesson which is on the less page itself (see link above). These metronome videos only have a vertical bar that moves across with the music.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

There was a couple days there was no bouncing ball on the measure by measure of Amelias waltz when I was trying to download , but then finally it was there and I got it down loaded . Probably a internet or computer glitch ?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I don’t know! Let me know if it happens again.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m going to make myself an Amelia’s Waltz practice journal…because time is going by fast.  September is gonna sneak up on us.  So…gonna put it on here to make myself accountable!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I do a hit and miss on this one everyday , I’ll keep trying !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I can’t seem to get any consistent practice time going…trying to change that.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Question:  what is the preferred BPM speed that we should play Amelia’s Waltz for the collaboration?  Just checking 😊.  You show 95 on the metronome at the beginning of this topic.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Yes, 95 bpm. That’s a little slower than the preferred speed, but good for a collaboration video. 🙂

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Okay!  Thanks for clarifying.

The Back-Up tracks started at 140 BPM speed and went down from there . . .  with the 95 BPM at the lower end.  I was working up to the 140 BPM.  I will slow back down to the 95 BPM.  😊  – nancy

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Less than six weeks to go! You all need to be practicing!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve practiced twice…not very good, is it?  Gonna try to find more time!

Kaeleigh
    Participant

Don’t worry Cricket! I haven’t practiced it at all!  I’m starting this week 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I think you’ll have it down in no time, Kaeleigh!

kjdebolt
    Participant

I have started practicing this tune.  Hope to upload something.  I might try a harmony as well.  I like the variation as well but it is more challenging 🙁

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

KJ, I actually did better with the harmony if I played along as John played the basic melody…I had to keep looking at the tab, though…kept forgetting where I was supposed to be.  I tried getting a recording last night…the recordings we submit do not have to be perfect, thank goodness…lol… Last night I just couldn’t seem to get along with my fiddle at all, so I scrapped my efforts and decided to try again…but he’s said before if we get some of it right he can take the bits and pieces that sound good and get us in there in the video…I shoulda just submitted what I came up with last night, I guess…but I felt like I just had a bad day all around with my fiddling attempts.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I liked this piece from the start, but it keeps growing on me and I like it more & more.  It has so much potential because of how well written it is.  Because of the subtle blending of tone progression, the closer the note is hit, especially in certain places, the better it sounds. So I recommend taking some time at the beginning of a practice to slowly go through it with a tuner, to make sure you are nailing those notes.

As you said Cricket, we still have two months, so I would definitely take some more time to have fun with this and use it to advance your skills before packing it in.  Eventually the timing will become second nature and you won’t have to focus so hard to get that, and can give full attention to getting that special sound down pat.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I like it a lot too.  I just can’t seem to find practice time these days…lol.  It’s all a chance thing…one day I play what. Want, the next day I just can’t play anything!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

OH no…I’m starting to get this in my head & can’t get it out!!

Will be short time This one, cause at Vacation home in China and my parents in law will visit Norway to middle of september.

I check out how much I can preapare for the video and practice🤠

Start download notes and the song at  my iPhone 🎻🎶

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hope you have a nice vacation!  This song does stay stuck in my head a lot too…which is a good thing…always helps me to learn faster if it goes nonstop in my head…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Boerge, I hope you have a great vacation.

Hopefully the song will stick in your head the way is does for Rodger, Cricket, and me.

It Already done, I listening to it with Joe Meadows play the fiddle. So then note will be easier to follow.

Vanja Also let me start practice on her 3/4 Violin (she only like classic) so should make out some even my fingers miss alot at the 3/4 cause distance between fingerpotition 🤠🎶🎻

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That’s great, Boerge! Maybe Vanja could be part of the collaboration as well. 🙂

I have asked her, she said she will think about it:)

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

John,

I’m intrigued and baffled.  I have been practicing both the basic tune and the variation.  For personal interest, I have been playing along at a faster speed with your “performance with harmonies” video.  In the first fiddle part, second half of melody, I love how you play measures 21 through 24, but can’t quite figure out how you are slurring the notes.  Are you sliding down one or more of the F, E, D, or C notes?  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Joe, sorry I don’t follow my own slurring recommendations very well. Here is more exactly what I am doing there. I am starting on an up-bow.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Thanks John, this helps.  It was the slides, as shown on the tab lines, that I wasn’t quite getting.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Icebike Icebike.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m gonna try my best to practice this tomorrow…this will be practice number three…lol..gosh I am not doing too good with practicing.  I’m glad it’s not really very hard to play…otherwise, I’d really be in trouble! Anybody submitted theirs yet?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I been trying to play with John on his main video , I can almost get the first part with him , but get lost in the second part , He gets away from me by the 2nd line . try and try again, aint it great, no matter how bad I mess him up he just keeps going and happy go lucky LOL

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Steve. The good news is, you don’t have to play the entire song. All I need is a good eight bars from each of you! 🙂

Cricket, I got my first two video sumissions this week. The first was from a young lady who was in one of our previous videos. The second was from her younger sister who is now learning too! This is going to be a great project.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…guys they are coming in…we don’t wanna fall behind.  It’s a good reminder that as John says, he just needs a useable line from each of us, not a masterpiece. Together, we will have the masterpiece!

lucy pevensie
    lucy pevensie
    Participant

I shall send in my Melody contribution today, I expect.  I look forward to hearing everyone put together on this one.  These Collaborations are one of the highlights of Bluegrassdaddy membership!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thank you Queen Lucy the Valliant! I received your tunes in my inbox. I’m on the road this weekend but can’t wait to listen when I get home!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in