Amelia's Waltz posted two videos

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Video Collaborations Amelia's Waltz posted two videos

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I decided to do this in two parts as for whatever reason I can’t keep it together long enough to keep from messing up . Also I am using a bow guide , I am going to use it for a couple months to try to force myself to straiten out my crooked sideways bowing LOL , So in a day or so or maybe today, I will get the 2nd half of the song done then maybe I will figure out how to merge them together . Ha ! Or maybe Before The end of the month I will succeed in recording the whole song . Maybe a couple hundred more times I will get lucky !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good job, Steve!  I was thinking of trying to get a video up too, on Wednesday…looks like my house will be empty for a couple of hours except for me and the doggies…the doggies do like to sing, but hopefully they’ll control themselves, especially if I don’t let them see the words we wrote.  Anyway…I was gonna try to get the first part up and then hope I get to where I can remember at least one of the harmony parts to get that up another day.  Good job.  Great to get moving on this so we gave some footage for a John to pull something from before time runs out on us!  You’re sounding good…coming along great!  Thanks for the inspiration!

kjdebolt
    Participant

Good Job.  I haven’t ever seen a bow guide before.  It might have helped me.  My instructor had me in front of a mirror to see what i was doing.  I still use the mirror as today I am trying to figure out how to use my fingers and wrist more and the arm less.  Good job.  I can’t believe you’ve only been doing this a few months.  I still have slight timing issues not sure why.  I’ll try ot get my post up this week as well.  I don’t have the second half memorized yet in spite of how often I play it.  🙂

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Great work, Steve! Thanks for joining the project!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Steve, it just takes time to get that bow perfectly straight & even then you have to do some diagnostics from time to time to keep it straight.  The exercise we were taught and is used by many teachers is simple, but it does the trick.  Place your bow on the A string at the frog end.  Roll your eye or whatever it takes to check to see if it’s square with the string & take note of how your wrist feels with it square & all the way up, & don’t drop the neck but hold correct position all the way around while doing this.  Now lift the bow off the string & re position it on the string right in the middle of the bow.  Now pause and absorb the change in your wrist for a few seconds…then lift the bow and carefully place the tip on the string while you take special note of how you have to extend your bow arm out in order to keep it square.  All movements between positions should be done somewhat slowly & in correct form.  Repeat this several times, and then place the frog end of the bow on the string and slowly play the string with a full bow all the way down & up several times while concentrating on the feel of the wrist as it changes to keep the bow square and the feel of the arm as to how it has to extend going down then pull back going up.  At the beginning it almost takes an observer to see if the bow is square because with good positioning you won’t be able to actually see the tip when the bow is high.  You can use a mirror, but the twist of the wrist is so much that it takes awhile to really get this.  As you remember the feel of the wrist from the 3 positions – frog, middle, & tip, eventually you will be able to know, when you think on it.  But the whole idea is get your body to do it without thinking, & that takes time.   Sorry for the wordiness, but this really does work if I got it explained right, but it has to be done regularly, and is probably best to do at the beginning of a practice.  We have kids that have a perfect square bow in their first year of playing, and this is how they were taught.  Then, no matter how long you’ve been playing, you will need to do checkups from time to time…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Here’s the full length of Amelia Waltz. If its to slow click on the u-tube setting and speed it up to 1.25 it sounds better their.

https://youtu.be/N5uAaj7mX5c

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, I couldn’t have done that in my first year of playing…good job!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Cricket for the encouragement I wont it to be better and I will never stop trying . I think we are all critical of our own progress . I am glad I am not grading myself cause I would give myself a D- ha ha !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

No, you’re doing great, Steve!  A+!  We are usually our own worst critics, for sure…keep going like you’re going.  It’s great that you’re already taking part in a video compilation…I think it’s a real accomplishment.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, great job! I’ve been on the road this weekend, but I will be able to download this tomorrow. Thanks a ton, this is good! You have definitely come a long way with your fiddling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in