Any Californians here?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The fires out there are horrible.  Someone I used to know, online only, has lost everything and was happy to just get himself and family out alive.  He says they have no possessions besides their Jammie’s.  Sounds like the fires just whooshed up very suddenly into some residential areas, etc.  Yet another natural disaster here…man, I sure hope everybody stays safe.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ve been watching those fires… Man, that got really bad, really fast. You guys stay safe out there!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It sounds just horrible.  I guess this guy I kinda know a little has gone from professional, who made a good life for himself and family and now in his seventies…go from that to being basically a refugee…no cash, credit cards, social security card, driver’s license, no clothes, no place to go and no way to buy food…I mean…it’s mind boggling how you can go from a highly educated, successful person, to a poverty stricken, cold and hungry refugee in one flash of a disaster.  Proving we are indeed all equal, when it comes down to it.  I mean, I guess eventually he will have the resources to start pull in it all back together again, and not a fun way to spend old age.  But I think of the ones who had not much of anything, or nothing, no resources to pull from, and became refugees…and what a hard time it is for them.  Hoping this guy I know about and the others can recover.  California is still on fire…bad situation for everybody.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear about that, Cricket. I hope the insurance companies are quick to act. We have to remember that we are owed nothing from life — we must be prepared to suffer hardship, poverty, persecution, personal loss, and disaster at any time. We are still praying for those affected by the fires in CA. It is a terrible disaster.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

So true.

kodaholmes
    Participant

I live in Santa Rosa Ca. The fires have been devastating and it has been touch and go with fire threatening my home, but my home and family are still safe and it looks like Cal Fire is starting to get the fires under control. I work at Kaiser Permenate one of the Hospitals evacuated the first night of the fire storm.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sorry for what you all are dealing with.  The person I know a little is a doctor in Santa Rosa…Sounds like that town got hit pretty hard.  Wishing you all the best recovery from this.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Koda, thank you for the update on the fires. I pray your home stays safe. Without a doubt, those are the worst fires I have seen, and we had a really bad one here in in the Smokies last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Great_Smoky_Mountains_wildfires

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

When Seveir County burned and the whole town of Gatlinburg, we all wondered about the condition of the Little Brier Creek School house and cemetery…my mother in law went to school there and lots of the family is buried there…they had a cabin reserved for a family reunion…which burned to the ground…they did have the reunion ( we didn’t go…we never go anywhere…lol…I’m a hermit and am especially bad traveler), but in a different cabin and they ran out and saw the school was intact.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I can’t spell…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’ve been by that school many times! I didn’t think about it until you mentioned it though. I’m so glad to hear it survived the fires.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Me too.  We took our daughter there a lot and they are starting to take grandson Roro…see what few things are left from family history.  Even though it was a rural one room school house for a poor community, my mother in law sure got a great education there…she knew her grammar well, was good at math, knew about all the great classics and stuff.  Somebody taught them very well, I think better than in the big fancy schools we have today.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in