Any John Hartford music fans out there?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Any John Hartford music fans out there?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Nancy Parker Nancy Parker 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

There’s a new book off the press!  “John Hartford’s Collection of Fiddle Tunes”.

Check it out.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

looks cool.  Do you have the book?  I haven’t really followed too many musicians, but first knew of him because he came to the college I went to and put on a concert in the gym.  It was really fun…I think he was kinda new on the road by himself…he had been on TV before that time I think on the Glen Campbell Show, but wasn’t so well known, I don’t think, or else he’d never have come to our little town.  Anyway, the dancing, fiddling, steam boat style dress, philosophizing and all that was very interesting.  I’ve seen lots of youtubes with him in recent years…definitely one of the great old time fiddlers of our era.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I ordered the book w/CD  package . . . waiting for it to get here.

⬇️ More info on book.

John Hartford’s Mammoth Collection of Fiddle Tunes

I learned “Squirrel Hunters” from John Hartford. Lesson below:

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I learned “Squirrel Hunters” from that video….

Matt Combs, one of the compilers for this book, was my instructor at FiddleStar Camp in Nashville.  He also backed me up on guitar when I recorded “Lonesome Fiddle Blues” there.

I knew of John Hartford because he used to come to my hometown of Peoria IL and pilot the paddlewheel excursion boat in the summers…. back in the 70’s I’d say.

I also recently learned he wrote “Gentle On My Mind” which we play alot at jams.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

That looks like an amazing book! My local band plays “Gentle on My Mind.” It is a great song.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

John Hartford was one of the best!   After seeing his “Lorena” on banjo,  I’ve resurrected my ancient instrument  and will attempt to play as much like him as I can.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

*See the book!  <below>

Home

*Hear the tunes <below>

Listen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.