Are there any other artists/painters here?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Are there any other artists/painters here?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I started painting in April of 2017 and I got pretty obsessed with it.  I’m wondering if there are any other painters here to share techniques and resources.  I love to do large oil paintings, but also enjoy watercolor and pastel.  Here’s one of my recent oils. This was based on a painting by Thomas Moran  who is one of the Hudson River school painters.  These guys were great.  They traveled the American frontier and captured it’s beauty.

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

I can’t see your painting, AJ, but I’m an artist too. I do watercolor mostly but also markers for my caricatures 🙂

Participant

hmm.  I wonder why it’s not working.

Participant

It says failed the upload test.  I don’t know what that means.  Let me try a different picture.

This one is a small watercolor.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow, AJ, that is really nice!   You’re good!

Well I have sort of dabbled here and there, although no training or knowledge.  As I was growing up, I showed an interest in drawing, etc., but, well it’s a long story…lol…involving a grandfather I’d never met who left the family during the depression…he was an artist, I think illustrated for newspapers, and it left a sour taste in everybody’s mouth about artists, basically, because he took off.  So it was a highly discouraged thing for them to see me wanting to do that stuff…I didn’t do much of it.   But over various times in my life I have gotten the urge to just do something…but lack of experience or knowledge has kept me pretty well confined to pencils, color pencils, even just messin’ with crayons again here recently.  Once in a while I’ll dabble with watercolor…my daughter found the missing grandfather’s surviving family after much searching of geneology, and got from them that he liked watercolor, so she took it up…she and her son…I just sorta started dabbling because they’ve got all the stuff…lol.   It’s fun to do…although as I said, no experience or knowledge or time, etc.  Yours sure looks great to me.

Participant

Wow.  That’s some story.  There’s plenty of resources out there if you ever want to more than dabble.  I can recommend a few youtube channels that aren’t very popular but excellent as far as tutorials go.  I’ve been working on my current oil painting for 43 days.  It’s been a great learning experience.  I’m copying a Bierstadt.

cricketcricket
    Participant

What are some of your favorites?

I’d like to learn more about it some day…really almost too busy for much of it now, but watching something educational or helpful might be a start.  I watched Johns youtubes for a few years before I even bought myself a fiddle…lol…gotta think about these things for a while first, ya know.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Wow AJ, that is a beautiful painting! I’m sorry the other wouldn’t load. I have increased the allowed file size in case the other image was just too large for my settings. Maybe try again!

I have never tried an oil painting, mainly because of the expense, but I have done some watercolors. Mostly I like to sketch with pencil or charcoal, and I also like to draw with pastels. I will try to upload some of my art!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Here are two pastels, “Arwen and Chippy” “Lorien and Tinuviel”

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Big charcoal drawing of my grandparents.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

That’s really good!

I don’t do any visual arts, but most of my siblings do and my mom does

Participant

Wow John.  That is some great work.  Wow.  I’m still just getting the hang of figures.  Was going to attend a figure drawing class but that got coronad.  Here’s some work done recently.

Participant

hmm.  It’s saying failed upload test but its only one meg.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarAJ Rhino.
    Participant

one more try.

Attachments:
    Participant

i don’t know why it’s not uploading, but I’ll try from a different computer.

Participant

This is the one I’m working on now.  I’m currently on day 44.  This is from a few days ago.  It’s been a challenge but man, the lessons.  I’m attempting to copy a famous painting by Albert Bierstadt who is one of my favorites.  He was part of a group called the Hudson River Painters.  They are all fantastic.  They traveled the country and captured it’s beauty. Thomas Cole, Thomas Moran, Frederic Church.

It’s a big canvas.  48×36″  I’m hoping to finish this Saturday.

Attachments:
    KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Wow! Beautiful landscapes, AJ! I especially like the nighttime one!
    Mr. Cockman! You’re portraits are amazing! I’ve won a couple fair ribbons for my graphite portraits, but I’ve never been able to get satisfactory results from pastels! Seeing yours makes me want to try again! Are they chalk pastels?

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

AJ, those are amazing! Sorry you couldn’t get Logos is Rising to upload! You are a very gifted artist — I’m glad you have discovered your artistic / musical side, you are going to bless a lot of people!

Kaeleigh, those are chalk pastels. The oils are just to hard for me to work with!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow, AJ and John…both…really nice work!!!!!  John, you might end up adding a “Gallery” forum here…lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.