Arkansas Traveler

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Sitohang 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I hope you enjoy “Arkansas Traveler.” The girls and I (and my twin brother JJ) enjoyed making the videos!

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/arkansas-traveler-fiddle-lesson/]

Anonymous

Thanks for doing this one for me, John! Looks great!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You’re welcome! I just posted “Maiden’s Prayer” and will try to have more up this week.

donnab

Great video with your daughters!
    I’m still practicing Boil The Cabbage, but Arkansas Traveler is my next choice. It took me a while, but i’m getting that special bowing. It feels so smooth when i do it right. I can really tell that my E needs tuning on this song.Second month and having fun. Just started downloading some MP3’s to have on hand. You gave me great advice last month saying to not rely on the tabulation print outs. I decided that i have been teaching myself for the past 2 years correctly. I’ll be trying When You and I were young Maggie soon.Thank You for all your time and talent.
    Donna

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi, and thanks! And good for you for taking your time to commit these tunes to memory. You need to post a video in the “Lion’s Den” soon!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Henry The Fiddler this weekend at Fiddlers Grove, and WOW — this guy is an amazing teacher and musician. Here is his take on “Arkansas Traveler” — he calls it the “Arkansas Travesty.” Sunday afternoon he sat down with some of my Fiddle Campers and taught us how to do the ricochet bowing he uses in this tune, including the chords he uses while throwing the bow. His lesson is right after the song!

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you for posting such a great video, John.  Very inspirational !!!

We have a lot to learn.

I get the impression he has had some kind of classical training in his former years.  A great fiddler with a great sounding fiddle.

Check out the position of his bridge and sound post at  4:39.  The bridge appears to be uncentered and more towards the lower (treble) sound hole, with the sound post being around 1 mm in front of the treble foot of the bridge.  Compare the distance of the feet of the bridge from the upper (base) sound hole.  Or is this an illusion?

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

He was originally a classical violinist, who learned to fiddle with help from Richard Greene. He said it was the hardest thing he had ever done, because he had to un-learn all his good habits!

I’m not sure about the sound post, but I believe the off-centered bridge is just an illusion.

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Ha! Great stuff John, he had to unlearn all the good habits, Funny. Do you have anymore video from this weekend? Looks like ya’ll had a blast!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I will try to get more video up! Arkansas Traveler is a tune that was played a lot this weekend. It seems that some things never change! Even listening to Henry’s jumped-up version, you will notice it still does not branch too far from its roots. That is what I love about this music!

tctom
    Participant

John,

All the videos seem to be Henry and the same one.

Above one video it says:

<span style=”color: #555555; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 21px;”>Video #3: Here is a measure-by-measure fiddle lesson of “Arkansas Traveler.”</span>

I’m not finding that. Is it somewhere else?  Thanks, Tom

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Tom, I am not getting the same error — are you logged in? I am able to pull up the lesson video.

tctom
    Participant

Hi John,

Didn’t get back to this until today. I was trying earlier on my cheap Chromebook, and it wasn’t working, as I explained. I thought I was logged in, but maybe not. Today, tried it on an iMac (much better computer) and all worked fine. Sorry to have bothered you. Tom

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

No problem! Glad it is working. 🙂

Sitohang
    Participant

Thank you so much John!I love your videos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.