Arpeggios

This topic contains 129 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Kenny Kenny 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Does anyone have the arpeggios tabbed out for each key?  I thought this might be a great way start learning how to play backup to a singer.

Also could be a useful tool learning double stop positions.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

don’t have them tabbed, but here is a list of all of the major chords and their arpeggios.

Chord
    Arpeggio
    C

C,E,G
    G
    G,B,D
    D
    D,F#,A
    A
    A,C#,E
    E
    E,G#,B
    B
    B,D#,F#
    F#
    F#,A#,C#
    C#
    C#,E#,G#

C
    C,E,G
    F
    F,A,C
    Bb
    Bb,D,F
    Eb
    Eb,G,Bb
    Ab
    Ab,C,Eb
    Db
    Db,F,Ab
    Gb
    Gb,Bb,Db
    Cb
    Cb,Eb,Gb

For the Minors you would just flat the 3rd (middle note) of each.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Thanks for your post.  I will take your notes and try to build something like this so I can easily see where my chords are.

Arpeggios chart

I thought maybe John my be able to post something like this along with an improvising lesson or on how to backup a singer.  This is easier for me to understand than the chord chart John uses for chopping.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I generally get what you’re after, but keep in mind that an arpeggio is basically devoid of the color notes that make many licks sound so good, and they can get very boring to play repeatedly due to their simplicity.

In reference to  the example you used with the open strings…if you want to learn to move things around between chords a closed position would help more, I think…you can throw in a drone whenever it fits, but they don’t really teach you the “boxes”/positions that you might use to move around the neck (like mando chop positions where your 2nd finger would be on the high D of the above chart).

If you have something more specific you’re trying to figure out or want an example of, I or some others here might be able to help you out on it though…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

My goal is trying to backup a singer but to not play the note that he is singing.  I think that these arpeggios would always provide a harmony note over the chord that is being played and therefore would always sound good.

It seems like an overwhelming tasks to start to learn how to fill in behind the singer.  So for beginning I will try to learn some of the two note chords.  I should be able to use any two notes from the arpeggio and make a chord.  Going into your closed position idea –  I think once the two note chords are learned  over for example the key of D then the two note chords patterns should start to repeat themselves no matter what position I was in..

So if a country song started in D and moved to the 4 chord G, I would play arpeggios chords or notes in D and then when the singer went to the 4 chord I might use arpeggios chords or notes from the G chord.  Then when the singer went to five chord I might try A arpeggios chords.

Just trying to find someway to start improvising while staying away from the singer.

Does this make any sense or should I try another path and just learn some licks that others have already come up with?

If you take any three chord country song there must be a hundred ways to combine a few simple notes to fill in.  Then as you move from the 1 chord to the 4 chord there are probably fewer ways to lead to 4 chord.  ……

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

If you mean playing on top of the vocals the first normal places to look are a couble-stop of the chord you are in,  a 3rd above the lead note, or a totally different counter melody (difficult) that doesn’t interfere.

If you mean playing fills between the lyrics, I usually look at these as “tag licks” or examples from the “book of endings” you have. Then you’d have some concrete examples of ideas to use…

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I rec’d a nice compliment the other day

A friend was talking to the local music store owner/music legend in the area.  The store owner said, yes, he knew me and said I was a fine fiddle player… but more importantly, I knew when NOT to play.

I try to play arpeggios/fills/licks in “the holes” when the vocalist is silent.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I play mostly just fills between the lyrics as well, and not necessarily during every silence…depends on the group and the song.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

goettjp

That’s what I wish to accomplish too.  To know when and when not to play.
    Kinda overwhelming.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

It can really be simpler than you may think.

As I posted before, if you’d like ot pick a song you want to work on I’d be happy ot help you through the process…as I’m sure others would also.

You can discuss different theories of backing up things for weeks and get little or nothing out of it. Actually working on something gives context to the discussion.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Thanks for your offer.  I could work on “Pass Me By If you’re Only Passing Through” Johnny Rodriquez Key of G or A Soft Rain is Falling” Ray Price key of D.
    Those are three chord songs that are pretty strait forward.  I’m eager to start. I will try anything you have in mind,

Thanks again,
    Kenny

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Pass Me By is the easier of the two, so it might be best to start with that.  It mostly uses different themes on the same fill and has a signature lick for  start & tag.

Soft Rain  has a ton of possibilities such as: replacing the string parts with double-stops or single notes, doing the guitar fills between the lyrics, or appropriating the vibraphone or piano licks. It is also a highly orchestrated number that might take some fairly advanced work to get a good arraignment going.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’m thinking maybe we can start with some choices on the ” intro/tag” to Pass Me By, then move on to the fills…if that sounds interesting to you?

I could do some short videos for you explaining things, if that works for you…I don’t usually tab fiddle parts (I normally use notation) but I could give it a shot if I can get a program to do it and you need it that way.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

I have a pretty good ear and if you don’t play too fast in the video I could probably get by with just your explanation and playing.  I need to train my ear anyway.

You’re suggestion of starting with Pass Me  By if You’re Only Passing Through sounds great. I would love to see you’re videos. I’m more interested in the fills than the intro, but realize that I need to learn both.

With the fills I also need to learn how to walk up or down with the chord changes.

I appreciate your willingness to help.  I don’t think that I’ve ever seen this type of instruction anywhere.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Kenny Kenny.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well we can try a song & see how it goes (with John’s permission). I’ll try and get the intro/tag stuff done tonight sometime.

I’ll try to pull it apart for you so it’s easy to understand. Then you can always come back with any questions you might have.

If you’d like a useful chord change lick, check out this video at about 1:07

In certain circumstances it works well for moving from A to D, from D to G, or from E to A.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, here is a link to a video I did on the tag lick.

Let me know what you think and we can go from there.

Feel free to ask any questions you have or tell me if you need it explained differently or something.

Apologies for the sound quality, but I can only use my computer w/cheap snowball mic for making videos like this.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Thank you!  I’ll work on that tomorrow during my practice session.  The instructions are very clear.  I may try to post myself playing this intro for you to listen to.  Start thinking of some fill licks and I’ll work on those too.

Sounds like the intro is the same as the last line of the song.  As you played I could hear “Pass me by if you’re only passing through” then you moved from G note on the D string to A over G , B flat over G and ended with B over G for the G double stop chord.
    Exactly what I am looking for.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Good to hear. Glad you recognized it…it is the “signature lick” of the song, which is why I wanted to include it. As soon as you play it people know what song you’re doing.

The only thing I’d add is on the last move toward the G double-stop you can play the A, Bb, and B (all first finger) on the second string instead of the fourth for a slightly different sound and still end up on a G double-stop.  You might find it easier to play than the fourth string move.

Again, it’s just another choice you can make…myself I’d practice both ways and maybe alternate which one I use when playing the song.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Here is a video of me playing what you taught me.  It really helped in your video that you named the notes that you were playing .  Very easy to follow – thanks again.  I hope we can build on this.  I will try some other tags for different songs now that I have an idea of what you are doing in this one.

Note:  I left out one double stop, but I know it’s there.  the open D and A strings.  I will put it in next time.  I may have left out one F sharp note also.

Intro “Pass Me By”

I’m not sure why I get only a link to the video when I post and others get the you tube video on the page. I may need some instruction on how to post a video.

I’m ready for the fill note lesson.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Ken, that’s great!  And yes, you nailed the second string move on the last lick the last time around also.

Are you using the main address for the video or the embed code? I just use the main address and it embeds automatically.  The link worked fine though!

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

Do you go to insert – then paste the url to the video? or go to media and pasted url?

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Test

https://youtu.be/cR9osi_t7eI<iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/cR9osi_t7eI” width=”560″ height=”314″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Copy the link, and then paste it into the first line where you type, then add at least two lines before typing anything else

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks Gunnar.

Kenny, here are some options for the first backup lick to the first verse.

Note: on the first option I say there is an E note….it should be an A…

Sorry about the camera angle…I’ll try to get the left hand better next time. I can re-do something if you really need to see it better…just let me know

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Nice Dave , I like that song too , so thank you !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’m enjoying the lessons, Dave and Kenny. 8-)

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks Steve!

Fred, feel free to jump in and set straight anything you think I’m goofing up or if you have a better idea that fits.

Here’s the vid for options on the second fill  for the verse.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave, I almost have the three options worked out.

I assume this lick is played right after ” Would you look at what came down the road today and should end before “One more bridge to burn…”

I will post my progress later.

Gunnar thanks for the tip on posting.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Fred,
    I am enjoying this lesson too!  I have not seen someone go into this kind of detail like Dave is doing for fill in notes.  This is only 1 section of one song and I have already learned so much.

Thank you Dave.  Can’t wait to learn more.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

I have already found other places to use the ending 3 notes on the intro in other songs.  G/A   G/Bflat   G/B  (G double stop)on the long G note.

Are these licks in G tied to strictly to this song or can they be in others?
    I saw you smiling in one of the videos.  I hope you are having fun as much as I am.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

haha…I’m laughing at myself goofing up, but yes I enjoy sharing music stuff.

That’s great you’re already finding other uses for it!  That lick is transferable to any chord or song you feel it sounds good in…I actually learned it from a version of The Old Rugged Cross (maybe John’s?)

As for your  question, I guess it’s a good time to tell you that all the licks in the PMB 1 & 2 videos are interchangeable and will fit musically (but maybe not tastily) for any fill of the same length in G…rats, I was saving that for a big surprise in the next video…haha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

PMB 1&2  videos were to help you to build different variations of the same melody notes by adding notes to make different double-stops.

Future videos will be a bit different: we’ll work more out of the “arpeggio box’s”, work on which notes slide well,  do some linear scale work, and invent more licks that will also fit in the same spots as the first two videos.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I look forward to the arpeggio box lessons.  Thanks again for sharing your skills.

I also like the summary or review at the end.  This lets me hear the lick played without stopping for explanation.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, I thought Id write a little on why I’m building these licks the length I am.

I’m using the idea of a “target note”.

If we take two measures of 4/4 (I think better this way) we keep ending up playing the root (G) on the first beat of the second measure. The way I’m using this “first beat” note is called a ‘target note”…if you go over the things covered in the two latest videos you’ll find that regardless of what we’re doing before that “first beat” we’re ending up on the target.

From there we leave almost a whole measure of room to stay in place (like the lick you learned to put in other places) or move the music elsewhere, such as to another chord, or it can leave room for  lyrics to start before the first beat of the measure after our two…or just time to take a breath…hehe

Hope this helps give you some insight on the “trick” I’m using and on things to consider when you build your own fills in other songs, or of different lengths.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thanks Dave for the thought process.  This is my video for the first lick of Pass me By.

Let me know what you think.

<iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/z1V9ULKFgRA” width=”560″ height=”314″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

got it

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

With th eB note I left out.  I will keep working on the timing.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Yes, getting closer! Sounds better already.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny, can you work with TEF tabs?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.