Arpeggios

This topic contains 129 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Kenny Kenny 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the video on pentatonic notes and the solo pattern.
    I will work toward the pentatonic scale next.  Makes me want to get out the mandolin and try this pattern and then transfer to fiddle.
    I already know the chord pattern on the mandolin so it should be easy to move to the correct position with the first and second fingers.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

When playing pentatonics I usually think of the first position I’ll hit as the first finger covering two strings…the lower string is the root.

I don’t regularly start licks on the 5 of the chord, or with that on the bottom of a double stop….

If I were to take off with a “3rd” double=stop, I’d normally use the 3rd finger on the root and the first finger on the third of the chord.

I also prefer to use open strings when possible rather than stay stuck to that one fingering. ..it lends itself to a much more versatile sound I think.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

I wondered about the starting position and if you would really play the fiddle like that?
    Using what you have shown me with the double stops, I can see where the finger positions repeat in a definite order from key to key.

I also found a short video on how to start improvising.
    This is kind of an add for “Strum Machine” but I like the short licks and fills.
    You can skip the first two minutes of the video.

I wish I could find more examples like this video.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Kenny Kenny.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny…more examples are in every recording where a fiddle (or other instrument) plays back-up…

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I keep forgetting you can steal licks from other instruments.
    I just need to pay more attention.  and slow down and listen better.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Below is Megan Lynch Chowning’s HOME page:

Go to PLAYLIST.

Scroll down to 56 on TECHNIQUES.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyI-zHKUBoYUhAQ8ECiuYQg

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Thank you Nancy.  She has many videos on technique.
    I will watching several videos from her homepage.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yes, some good stuff there! Thanks Nancy!

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I’ve attended Megan’s FiddleStar camp.  It was fun and the instructors were killer (Nate Lee from Becky Buller Band, Matt Combs from GrOlOpry, Justin Braunum & Deanie Richardson from Sister Sadie).

The Strum Machine  site wasn’t available then.  I tried it when it first came out and thought “why would I want to strum my guitar alongside this?”   After seeing Megan’s YouTube above I realized it was for soloists, to provide background strumming.  I’ve been using it every day with my fiddle & dobro and am about to pull the trigger on a year long subscription.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Was this the adult camp that just ended?

Sounds like a great time among great fiddlers.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.