Ashokan Farewell

This topic contains 63 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 4 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Hakan Lindholm
    Participant

A long shot! Some tuners can be set to tune half step down as default. All open strings will then be tuned half step down. I spent very long time once tuning a guitar before I discovered this problem. My tuner did not display 440 in digits only LEDs for the different strings and the LEDs showed I was in tune. But I was in tune half step down. But since you are using two different tuners this is probably very unlikely. If you have a tuning fork or piano or other instrument in tune you could check the open A with one of those.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

My thoughts too, Hakan, but what are the odds that both tuners were like that? I’m just stumped on this one. Dredger, is there anyway you could post a video about this? Maybe upload it to youtube and drop us a link, or share it with me on drop box:

john@bluegrassdaddy.com

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Hello Dr. John,

Am still working on polishing up Ashoken Farewell.   Reddesert Fiddle, on Youtube, hows how to add grace note but doesn’t use tabulature so a bit mysterious  but…sorta slipping it in.

Have been getting in about an hour a day practice so hope to get into more of these great songs that  you provide for us.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Awesome! Ashokan Farewell is one of the reasons I wanted to play the fiddle.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

It  is THE MAIN REASON I wanted to learn fiddle as I thought that my great-great granddad,  a CW vet,  may have enjoyed it after seeing Ken Burns and hearing  it for the first time.   It is still so haunting for me even though it didn’t even get written until the early 1980’s.    Your lessons have give me lots of other songs that I ‘ve  whistled or hummed all my life so guess I’m pretty attached to me little fiddle now and enjoy practicing every day adding a bit of new stuff when I feel like it.   You have provided a fine fiddlin’ site for me to hang around and throw out questions occasionally too.     2:48 AM?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

John never sleeps…lol…we’ve seen that around here before!  I mess around a little here and there with Ashokan Farewell…it is really beautiful.  How it got matched up with the Civil War I’m not really sure, but it’s just a very impassioned piece of music, isn’t it?  I guess sometimes such beautiful music keeps people up all hours of the night…lol.  I really need to sit down with it and get it down better.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Ashokan Farewell is one that I play everyday , I play along with John on his video . I can almost hit every note with him most of the time , but not perfect yet .

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

It is a beautiful song!  One of the first songs I learned.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It’s still one of my all-time favorites, even after all these years. And Cricket is right — I never sleep! This past week has been especially brutal, but I have tomorrow off. Yay! Just before a weekend of concerts in Lake Junaluska. 🙂

airborne

Helloooo, the last bar in the notation is incorrect. Not the tabs. Might help somebody. Jk

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thanks, which one?

airborne

Hello John, if I’m thinking right the second to last note in the ending I think the notation shows an A on the g string  , the tabs show .Correctly, position 3h on the g string , I could be wrong, but it would be a first, second,  third, or fourth, or one of those numbers

airborne

Yea, soon as I submitted that, I thought, wait a cotton pick in minuet here that there note  is a C not an A , at least this mistake didn’t cost me ! Not used to this new fangled  violin music. Played bagpipes for the years.  Have a goodun . Supposed to get snow Monday. Shoooooot with an E.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thanks! I’m not seeing the error but I’m glad it didn’t trip you up! Hope to hear you play it sometime.

Bagpipes are awesome, one of my favorite instruments!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Just finished the lesson, my question is, are you supposed to play the a and b parts twice each or only once?

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

just once… Can’t wait to hear it!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John are you saying to ignore the repeat symbols on the A and B parts ?

Gunnar , Twice each , the repeat is there on the notation and tablature , also the time to do so is only 3 minutes and 9 seconds , playing Solo !

Once through would be 1-1/2 minutes , If the people your playing for have ADHD then 1-1/2 minute might be better !

I think most songs are around 3 plus minutes on purpose , in order to capture your audience and keep them captured , If they are just a listening crowd and your playing Solo !

With the exception of people dancing the songs can be longer , also at jam sessions where 3 or four people take turns playing lead and someone singing a song can last 10 minutes or so !

Gunnar it really is up to you , The arrangement and time is your choice !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I meant for the backing track, thanks. I’ll try to play it here soon

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ditto…can’t wait to hear you play it, Gunnar.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a quick take of my rendition of Ashoken Farewell:

brya31
    Participant

Very Nice Frederick!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You, brya31. I appreciate the kind comment.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, I can’t remember, is this one in your FFFFF collection?  Am I getting all my F’s in there?  Hope you have it in there for convenience of your tunes.  You play it very nicely, by the way.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, Cricket. It’s in there. If you don’t want to search all over Robin Hood’s barn, you can just click on this page here and it will take you to every one of them quickly.

https://www.frederickwarner.com/freds-frequent-fiddle-tune-fusion-forum.html

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.