Back to goals and objectives…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Back to goals and objectives…

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 6 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

…lol…I can hear my department supervisor’ voice when I write those two words.  Anyway…thinking…the music is all done for the Purcell opera…that ate up a buncha my time…there’s lots of work to do around here and at various points down the road—no getting around that, but…I’ve been squirreling away and kinda staying in my own little fiddle world lately on my Presonus machine, which I will keep doing, but, I’ve gotta get back to lessons on here…it takes devoted time and concentration, for me, which I guess I haven’t had a lot of to spare, between working up the opera music, lotsa playing and babysittting grandson, dealing with my weird eyes– which I’ve decided have done enough disruption to my concentration, etc., and it’s time to consign myself to being a somewhat sane and apparently healthy person with psychotic eyes—a.k.a., ignore the eye insanity and get back to concentrating on important stuff…and so…here we go…I’ve got to find an hour or so each day…most likely late at night…keep my unused chrome book powered up ( I’m more of an iPad person)… pick a lesson…probably have to start with reviews of lessons lost, except I started before with all the really, really hard stuff…I gotta do more of the easier things so I can have successes quicker…anyway…gotta get back.  My iPad records again ( for a while it said no…??? No idea why, but now it does again).. learn stuff…play it with the tracks and try to make a few not too awful youtubes, plus expand my playing abilities…gotta practice and keep learning to do good.  I’m gonna start with Candy Girl…after a discussion on here earlier…plus it’s in my comfort key…GDGD.  Gotta get back to regular lessons…learning…not squirrel away so much.  Let’s hope nothing interrupts my resolve and focus here…anybody else wanna join me with Candy Girl?  I hope to get it halfway decent by the end of May.  Wish me luck!  Join me if you can…or with a different tune…let’s get something learned well enough for show and tell by the end of May, folks!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I can’t wait to hear Candy Girl! You’ll sound better on it than I did.

Does anyone else want to commit to learning a tune by World Fiddle Day? It’s always the third Saturday in May.

World Fiddle Day info
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Fiddle_Day

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I’m working on “Brilliancy” now.  Got the [A] Part down last night.

Only  [B] [C] & [D] go.   I had a friend tx the sheet music from a YouTube.

The basic easy version can be found in Fiddlers’ Fakebook.  I don’t know where I came across the tune.  Could have been from BGD site -or- just happened upon it.  I will need to go to my iPad to forward the YouTube that I downloaded.  I will do it now.  My friend tx-d the second fiddler’s version. Watch for the greatest metronome that keeps perfect rhythm.   – nancy

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Here it is!   Enjoy!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys..we should have a tune a month, or at least one that we commit to try…not necessarily the same tune, unless people choose the same…but…really, learning a new tune each month would be a good thing…I just gotta get to learning again!  John, I’m no where near how great you play Candy Girl…are you kidding???  Lol…I’m limping through tonight.  Just as I took a vow to close the book on my eyes guess what…I had a big ol ocular migraine while we were making soap ( perfect timing…let’s be blind and crazy while we’re messin’ with caustic chemicals) and then it seems some new and weird eye things pop up after that…well, but anyway…there are two accounts…the checking account, and my anxiety account…both depleted by my eyes in a matter of three short months.  So…no matter what…I’m done with this eye thing.  I’m busy with Candy Girl tonight…stopped to go out in the rain and see what all the noise is…sounds like there’s a war going on somewhere out there…we couldn’t figure out what it was…getting back to Candy Girl anyhow…maybe the Russians are coming…they’ll like Candy Girl, I’m sure!

Angela
    Participant

Nancy….that dog keeps better time than I do!  Hope you’ll post your progress on Lion’s Den.  I love hearing everybody play.

John, I’m working on Fisher’s Hornpipe.  I’ll try to have it down by World Fiddle Day.  :^)

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

BRILLIANCY!   Wonderful show and now I want to assemble my family to imitate what you do.   My kind of fun!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Great job, everybody…gotta keep up the motivation and hard work. I did practice some on Candy Girl last night…whew…I’ve got a LOT of work to do…but gonna get it towhere it’s ok, then put it on a YouTube ( show and tell has a way of motivating and finalizing…like…yep, I know that one now because it’s been on YouTube!)…but I’m thinking about what’s coming after Candy Girl now…nothing really hard…not yet.  I’m gonna go easier on myself for a while…lol…no more Bobby Hicks or Golden Fiddle Waltz for a few months, anyway…but I’ll get back to those things soon.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I just remembered now where I first heard the “Brilliancy” tune.  It was from Vi Wickam’s Fiddle Tune a Day.   Each morning I get to start the day with a fiddle tune.  It sure beats an alarm clock!    Some I have heard before: some are brand new to me – like “Brilliancy”.   Sign up now!  <see below>.

Fiddle Tune a Day

Joe
    Participant

Working on the Norwegian Waltz. Will post it in a week or so. Maybe Boerge will know it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve seen that fiddle tune a day guy on YouTube here and there…he’s good!  I think might learn a lot slower…I’d be lucky to get one in a month.  Joe, Norwegian Waltz sounds like a good one…is it done in standard tuning?  The reason I ask is because the Black Mt Rag tuning sounds Norwegian to me…so…well I’m just wondering about that now…I don’t think I’ve ever heard it.

Joe
    Participant

Yep standard tuning for the Norwegian Waltz. Its got some high parts up the neck that I seem to hit or miss.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…those are tough…I call those areas up the neck the fiddling hard hat areas…crashes very likely…be prepared!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Nancy, I really like that rendition of Brilliancy.  I found some sheet music, but it’s so different from that video I hardly recognise it and can’t relate it to that audio.  Would like to get some music for that version if I could find it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I haven’t had another practice session yet, but hoping I can manage for tonight…it’s a busy time, but gonna try to work in some practice…the cool thing about Candy Girl is there’s really no notes to remember…just getting a good comfort with the bowing.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

10 days to go to World Fiddle Day! It sounds like many of you are working on some really fun and challenging projects. I’ll expect a full report, so keep up the hard work!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I was gonna practice tonight, but the old time crowd tells me to come out tonight to the city and see Dan Gellert play…I’ve seen him onyoutube…pretty good OT fiddling.  He plays Candy Girl…maybe he’ll play it tonight?  If I make it…if I don’t…I’ll be the one playing Candy Girl tonight…lol…I probably should let him do it.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Did you go see Dan Gellert?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

No…we had roofers here all day and they still weren’t gone…making a big mess and I was trying to keep an eye on Mt sensitive plants, etc.  missed the whole thing.  But anyway…I got brave enough to get that Candy Girl video up…I would like to try playing that one on the Presonus soon, if I can.  And it’s time to move on…so…I’m thinking Pretty Saro should be my next BGD lesson…let’s see how it goes!

Angela
    Participant

I’ve just about got Fisher’s ready to video.  Might have it up this weekend.  :^)

I found a local jam….every Thursday night!  yaaaay!!  Went tonight and it was a blast.  The highlight was getting to kick off Dooley (thanks to my BGD training).  And, they did Long Black Veil…another BGD training.  One of the couples did several hymns and played them in E flat.  Whaaaaaaa?????

A harmonica player said he used to play Maiden’s Prayer with a fiddle player friend of his who had died.  He wanted to know if I played it.  I’ve been working on, so he said he wanted me to play it with him next time.  hmmm….no pressure, eh?

Rock…..where was your Uncle Mallard from?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

E-flat oughta be illegal…is it Fisher’s Hornpipe you’re gonna play for us?  That’s a good one!  I once had all but the very last break of Maiden’s Prayer down good enough to play at a jam one time…freaked all the other fiddlers out…I think I mighta forgotten too many if those Bobby Hicks slides/double stops…I’m planning on getting back to some of those really tough things soon, but taking it easier on myself for a while…lol.  Can’t wait to hear you play on the Lion’s Den, Angela!

Angela
    Participant

Yes. Fishers Hornpipe. I’ve been listening to 3 different versions. I like pieces of each of them. Mine will be a little of each one. 😊

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I can’t wait to see your video!

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Am going to work on IRISH WASHERWOMAN and will practices  A LOT to accomplish this by fiddle day as it’s been on my goal sheet for a very long time.  It was one of the songs I was hoping to learn when I first considered getting into fiddling.    I  just repaired a Mendini fiddle( thanks to wonderful advice that I received from BGD amigos)  that had been given to me and it’s producing an acceptable sound and I find myself using it quite a bit.  Might be a fine gift to a grandkid.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck with your Irish Washer Woman…hope you will be putting up a video for us so we can enjoy the fruits of your practicing with it!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I’m looking forward to Pretty Saro, Irish Washerwoman, and Fisher’s Hornpipe. Anyone else getting a tune ready for World Fiddle Day?

I’m pretty sure Rock’s Uncle Mallard is from Greenfield, TN. Here is a great article about him:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/Old_Houses_Stringer.html

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…Rock has the fiddling genes…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s in his blood!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in