Beginner Critique Advice / Suggestions

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Beginner Critique Advice / Suggestions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John! Do you have any suggestions or advise on which tune(s) a beginner should choose to play when they post their first video for critique by you? And, how long into their starting to play the fiddle do you think is a good time to post their video — a week, a month, two months? Am I correct in thinking it would probably be better for them to post a video early in the journey so that you can advise them of anything they are doing wrong, and help them correct it before it becomes a habit that is difficult to break? I guess I am mostly referring to myself in this instance, however, I am sure there are many other beginner members here who may also want to post a video for critique, and this information might help them as well.

Thank you for support and any advise you can offer.

Scott 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, this is a great question. I think it is good to post a video early on, and receive constructive criticism on your tone and form. You know what would be really cool? A week-by-week benchmark video of your progressions from beginner to awesome! I really hope someone decides to try this!

So, all you forum lurkers out there who would like to post a video but are nervous about criticism… Don’t be! We are a friendly bunch here, mostly beginners as well, and anything you post would surely be an encouragement to the rest of us!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John! A week-by-week benchmark video of progressions from beginner to awesome is a GREAT suggestion! Kinda like a “from now to ….. WOW!” video log. I LOVE your idea! Are there any prizes or cruises to be won for submissions? 🙂

I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, SIR! — on the proviso that I can bring my video camera back to life for a few minutes to shoot some footage without problems. If not, I will substitute an MP3 of Yehudi Menuhin playing Brahms violin concerto, and pretend it is me playing …. and thrill you all with my performance! LOL!

When our new baby arrives in a few weeks time, I think this will be a great time to start the video logging of our new little one, from day one…. and of course, some supplemental weekly logs of me beginning to play the fiddle — whenever that confounded boat arrives!

I heard there was a cruise on offer for fiddle names submissions. Just imagine what’s on offer for a dedicated week-by-week benchmark video submission! I have my bags packed and my skis ready to go! 🙂

I think if more members submitted their week-by-week benchmark videos, then, as you say, it would be a HUGE encouragement for all of us, and we could all learn so much from your expertise in the feedback you give us!

So come on folks!… Take up the challenge with me! 🙂

Scott

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

You heard him, folks. Would someone please step up to the challenge and create a week-by-week thread of their progress in “The Lion’s Den?” Your reward will an Alaskan Cruise, paid for by your Grandfather’s sister’s nephew’s favorite child. So what are you waiting for?

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John — I may have to get my bad fiddle out of its cage and start rattling it around a little bit, just to get my video log happening sooner than I was hoping — just to get the ball rolling…. and also to try and win that wonderful Alaskan cruise. Although, when I said my skis were ready to go, I kinda meant something a little closer to home. However, I think we will enjoy an Alaskan cruise. I hear the ice bergs are very pretty this time of year, and they even come up nice and close to the boat so we can pet them! Who knows, I might even get inspired enough to write a fiddle tune and call it “Alaskan Farewell”!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.