Bluegrass Gospel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What are your favorite bluegrass gospel albums?

I need to bolster my very limited collection, and would like some outstanding versions.

Thank you!
    Steve

Participant

I’m an Alan Jackson fan, and he has an album, “Precious Memories.” Lots of good stuff on there.

Participant

Here is my list of favorites:
    Angel Band – Emmylou Harris
    Across the Miles – Third Tyme Out
    The Best of The Primitive Quartet
    On Praying Ground – Doc Watson
    Carolina Scrapbook, Gospel Edition – The Kruger Brothers

These are just a few of my favorites. You might be interested in learning about The Kruger Brothers – their story is really touching. Though they don’t have a fiddle, their music is really beautiful.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Steve, this is a great question. Angela and Goldberry; Alan Jackson’s Precious Memories and Emmylou Harris’ “Angel Band” are two of my favorites.

Not counting those two, here are my Top 5 pics for anyone wanting to begin a Bluegrass Gospel library. My personal preference is apparent here, as this list does not include the Stanley Brothers or the Carter Family. For what it is worth, here goes…. (drum roll…) Oh, I am linking to the album page in Amazon, so that you can hear samples of each song. (restarts drum roll….)

1) Best of Sugar Hill Gospel, Vol. 1: Everytime I Feel the Spirit

2) Stained Glass Hour: Bluegrass and Old-Timey Gospel Music

3) Alison Krauss & the Cox Family: I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

4) Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver: Rock My Soul

5) Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver: Heavenly Treasures

Participant

I’m glad Steve started this thread. Great stuff! I’m a big fan of Alison Krauss. I want to BE Alison Kraus.

AK and US have several songs on the Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. There are also some other good gospel tunes on there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.