Bluegrass Zoom Workshops with Megan Lynch Chowning

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Bluegrass Zoom Workshops with Megan Lynch Chowning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KennyKenny
    Participant

Megan Lynch Chowning is offering a beginning Bluegrass (Fiddle)  Zoom class that starts in November and an intermediate class that is ongoing. She began teaching fiddle lessons at age 14.   I am enrolled in the intermediate class and it is amazing.

I feel that all would benefit from these classes and this would enhance the learning experience here at “Bluegrass Daddy”.

You can find out more about Megan at https://www.fiddlestar.com
    Go to the link above and then to “Learning to Play the Fiddle”  for registration details.

You won’t regret taking either of these classes.
    Kenny

Description of the class:

NEW! BEGINNING Bluegrass Skill Builder Workshop

We’ve been having so much fun with the weekly bluegrass workshop but I’ve quickly noticed that it has become an intermediate/advanced group and that there is a real need for a more beginning bluegrass fiddle skills class. So here we go! This class will meet weekly on Zoom, starting in November 2020, on Saturdays at 2pm Central time. Every class will be recorded so you do not need to attend live. I will send a meeting invite each week on Friday, the evening before class. And as soon as class is over, I will send an email with the link to the recording of the class as well as any reminders and links you might need, based on what we covered that week. Things will go slowly and there will be a lot of repetition. During class, you will be muted so you don’t have to worry that anyone is going to hear you but you will be able to hear and see me and you can play directly along with me so you know you’re getting it right.
    Each week’s class will include the following elements:
    1) Warmups
    2) Exercises
    3) Basic licks, fills, solos – how and where to play them
    4) Ear training to help you learn melodies on the fly
    5) Information about the structure of bluegrass tunes and songs
    6) Bluegrass critical listening skills
    7) Lots and lots of important information about bluegrass/folk jams and how to participate in them successfully, even as a beginner

Make sure you’re tuned up and rosined up when class begins. This class will be all about playing – no time like the quarantine to really nail down your bluegrass jam skills – this way you’ll be ready to roll when we can all head out to festivals and jams! This class is best for players who are new to fiddling and who have little to no experience jamming and playing with other people. It can also be useful as a jumping off point for classical players who need some guidance before switching over to traditional music jamming. If you are competent on the instrument but not comfortable playing by ear or with other people, this is a perfect place for you. You can start here and then switch over to the more advanced class once you get some idea of how jams work and the fiddle’s role in them.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by KennyKenny.
    goettjpgoettjp
    Participant

I attended a FiddleStar workshop at Megan’s, it was pretty good.  Jason Brannum, Nate Lee, Dee Dee Richardson & Matt Combs were the instructors, as well as Megan.

Participant

I have been to two of her camps…They are very good and she is the best…you will not regret signing up for her classes…

KennyKenny
    Participant

Just a reminder – Today (Saturday) at 12:00 central time is the intermediate zoom class.  It goes for 1 hour and is recorded with a link sent to you even if you can’t be there at noon. You have this recording that you can keep on your computer.  Would love to see you there,

Kenny

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by KennyKenny.
    fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I was a bit put off by the lack of info on what subject matter would be any specific class, but thought I’d check it out anyway.

Intending to register…money went out, but no reply that it was received.

Guess I’ll wait & see…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    KennyKenny
    Participant

Dave,

I’ll pass your note on to Megan.  Generally she sends a Zoom invite out on Friday night before the lesson.  There is no Zoom lesson this week as it is the 5th Saturday of the month.
    Kenny

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Ha, figures…now someone is counting Saturdays….

It’s no big deal. Just usually get a confirmation when money is transferred.

It’s not like I don’t have plenty of homework here to work on from Mr. Branum’s workshops…haha!

Had a huge breakthrough last night & today on improvising around circle of 5ths in different keys. Really encouraging…

KennyKenny
    Participant

Where can I find out about Mr. Branum’s workshops?

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Justin’s website

https://masterfiddle.com/catalog

His YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCimRTkj_7aaLyduWFpFrIsA

This guy is worth looking at also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcpPCtg0HHPa42ZGsmphefg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.