Bow comparison: should I get an upgrade?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Bow comparison: should I get an upgrade?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Great Scott Great Scott 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hey, y’all. I’ve heard a lot of good on this site about the fiddlerman CF bow, and am wondering is it much better than a glasser basic fiberglass? Does anyone have experience with these two? I have a Glasser basic fiberglass bow, and want to know if it’s worth it to upgrade, or if that would be an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

I used a Glasser fiberglass when I first started back on the fiddle.  I then upgraded to a Coda CF.  I now call the old fiberglass bow “the club” and quit using it.  The difference in both playing ease and sound is amazing.  If you can, try out several CF bows and pick the one you both like the best and can afford.

Joe

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What Joe said a CF bow is better choosing one you like and can afford is what counts !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok, I was specifically asking about the Fiddlerman CF bow, which I’ve heard is quite inexpensive. unfortunately I don’t have access to a shop where I could try multiple different bows (hey, guitar center, what CF bows do you have?) so I’m stuck online shopping, which is why I’m being specific. but if you have any specific  CF bows to recommend, please do, and if you can link to it even better. my budget might allow up to about $100

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I looked at a Coda but then thought, should I really have a bow that costs more than the fiddle ($200).?  I bought a Cricket fiddle that came with a low-end CF bow and I thought it was fine, so I bought a coupe Glassers online.

Either all my bows are bad, or they’re all the same quality.  They’re pretty interchangeable for me.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok

Angela
    Participant

I haven’t used a Glaser so I can’t compare. But I have the fiddlerman cf and like it quite a lot.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok, I’ll see if I can afford one.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Here is an old thread about the Fiddlerman CF bow:

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/forums/topic/fiddlerman-carbon-fiber-bow-update/

You can’t go wrong with a Fiddlerman CF Bow.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Gunnar, to answer your question directly:

Yes, I have a Fiddlerman Carbon Fiber bow, and have had it for the past 5 years.  I think I did a review on that particular bow (a positive review).

But, here is a quick update of my thoughts on it:

It was my first CF bow.  A wooden bow came with my cheap violin back then and I wanted to upgrade to a CF bow.  I did a lot of research on CF bow (UNDER $80) and decided to go for the Fiddlerman CF bow; and I have been very pleased with it.

— I feel it represents value for money.

— Well- made and nicely finished.

— Does NOT look cheap.

— It comes with a good amount (not overloaded) of quality hair.

— I found it well-balanced

— Nice to hold and play with.

— Very stable frog that does not loosen while you are playing.

— I think they are around US$68.00 or maybe a little less.

I looked at the other CF bows on the market, and for the money I wanted to spend, the FM CF bow fitted my budget nicely.  Of course, you can spend a lot more for a CF bow, but I found the Fiddlerman CF bow to be well -suited for me as a beginner at the time.  I am still a beginner, even now.  I really like my FM CF bow and will one day buy a nice pernambuco bow if ever I get better at the violin.  There is definitely a major sound difference (better) between wood and plastic / CF / GF.

Hope this helps.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I love mine.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I got one with my gift certificate, it’s a great bow! I really like it

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Gunnar, glad you like your new Fiddlerman CF bow.  I am sure it will last you for years.

Cricket, I am happy that you love yours.  :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.