Bowing notation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

Hello everyone, My name is Gary I am a lifer military guy about to retire. I have always loved fiddle music since I was old enough to know what it was, unfortunately during my youth I was unable to afford music lessons or not much more than just what I needed. I will now have the time and I have been blessed to be able to do what I have always dreamed, play the fiddle. I have done a bit of self study on music and I get the basics but I am having a hard time understanding the sheet music as far as the small arrows at the bottom “▲▼” I know it means the movement of the bow but which arrow is push and which is pull? Thanks in advance and I am honored to be part of this wonderful instrument.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gary…welcome.  What branch have you served in? We appreciate all you guys do.  Welcome to becoming a fiddling civilian…you’re in the right place, right here.  Lots of lessons, lots of help…little bit of craziness.   I think lots of members here regret not having gotten started earlier, but at least we’re all here now.  I’m sure somebody will see this and answer your question about bow direction,..I would, but I don’t really know either.  We’ll both learn.

Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

Thanks Cricket!

I am in the Army and thank you, it’s because of people like you we serve.

Garyj
    Garyj
    Participant

I found the answer in the free lessons (DUH) a down arrow is a down bow so you pull the bow, an up arrow is when you push the bow.

John you are the best!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi Gary, and welcome! Thank you for your service. It’s great to hear from you.

I’m actually surprised I don’t get this question more often. When I first started teaching, I used the old-time notation, which is up arrow for up bow, and down arrow for down bow. A lot of my older lessons use this notation.

I discovered this was confusing for a lot of the students here who are used to classical bowing notation which is an upside down box for a down bow and a down arrow for an up-bow. So, I changed over a few years ago and started using the classical notation. I’m sorry for any confusion that may cause!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in