bowing notation

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum bowing notation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi John,
    I just signed up today so I can get the dust off my fiddle. I’m a 61 year old, in the Central Valley of California. One thing that jumped out at me when I opened the first pdf (Arkansas Traveller) was that the up and down bow symbols are opposite of everywhere else I’ve seen, including several books I have. Is this intentional? I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but it sure hurt my brain trying to play down against the up arrow. Ha! Thanks. Great work and great site. I look forward to playing more.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hello, and welcome! I am in the process of re-doing the earlier tabs that have bow direction indicated. I like to do the old-time style of bow indication, which is a down-arrow for a down-bow and an up-arrow for and up-bow. When I first started creating the tabs, my software was set to a different style that is actually backwards from my intended direction, and I didn’t know enough to realize it. I actually just updated the Arkansas Traveler tabs if you want to print it out again. Of course the lesson is still the same, but it will be updated when I recreate the lesson using the overhead camera angle. I am constantly working to make the site better, and I appreciate any feedback that you can give me! John

Participant

Ah. Thanks John. I see it now that I’ve had a chance to look around more. I’ve never seen the up and down arrow method either, but it does make better sense than that boxy up arrow thing that seems to be standard. I like the arrows in both directions. Very intuitive.

Thanks again. gnite!
    Terry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.