Bowing Pattern For Celtic and Ballards

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Bowing Pattern For Celtic and Ballards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John! We had to get up early this morning to go hunting, so I thought I would post this question before we set off.

Do we need to adhere to any particular bowing pattern (up bow, down bow) when we are doing ballads and Celtic -type tunes?

I noticed in your youtube video that you tell us to be aware of the bowing pattern, but do we have to follow any particular bowing pattern when we are playing tunes like Londonderry Air or Edelweiss for example, or do we have “open season” with these types of tunes?

Cheers,

Scott

Great ScottGreat Scott

Yes, folks! I know ballad doesn’t have a “r” in it, as you see written in the title of my post. My keyboard has the weirdest habit of inserting the letter “R” into some words while omitting it in others. So much for my new fandangled state-of-the-art carbon fiber electric keyboard with built-in fingertip warming keys and its out-board cappuccino maker. I think there may be a short – circuit somewhere, because of the “R” problem and because the coffee tastes vile!. It came with a 12-hour warranty, so it is too late to return it. So I guess in this instance, I can blame my new keyboard for all of my typing errorrrrrrrrrrs. See what I mean?

It’s the keyboard, I tell you! IT’S THE KEYBOARD!

A bad tradesmen always blame his tools! ***Covers mouth with hand and giggles*** Hee-hee-hee! 🙂

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, your problem is probably the carbon fiber electric keys. Carbon fiber is very electrically conductive, so you are probably getting minute shocks that override the tiny signals from your brain and cause your fingers to land elsewhere.

To answer your question, I do not think it is worth memorizing bow direction for slow songs. However, some people prefer to end phrases on a down-bow, and this may require some planning. I don’t have a preference, and so I never plan ahead.

Is it still duck season down under? Or are you out hunting deals on tuning pegs?

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John! Thank you for answering my question. That is good to know. In my original question, I forgot to say that it is in your youtube video on Margaret’s Waltz that you advise us to be aware of the bowing pattern for that particular tune. I will post my more in depth question about Margaret’s Waltz another time.

I think the duck season ended here around June. We arrived too late …. to stop it. When I spoke of leaving early the other morning to go hunting, I did not mean the type of hunting where things are killed. I meant hunting as in searching. I am a vegetarian and a very spiritual person. I don’t believe in killing anything. To me, everything has a right to live and is part of the integral web of life and the “perfect balance” of everything. I like to take in the wonder of every living thing around me and marvel at the splendor of this beautiful world, you call earth. I did however manage to capture two of the very rare and VERY strange, and rather large Huli-Huli birds — not to be confused with the recipe for Huli Huli chicken. 🙂 We captured and tagged them and then released them, however, one of them ran off with our camera, and in the rumble, the film became exposed and ruined; otherwise, I would have posted the film here for you to see what they look like. I may have to draw a picture.

We are due to leave here any day now thanks to a rather strange message we received about a mysterious antique fiddle. We have booked passage on a steamer that departs on Wednesday evening that will take us to Morocco. I will keep you posted of the venture.

Scott

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Scott, it is good to know that the wallabys will be in no danger from you this winter. I do understand that duck hunting is facing a lot of opposition down your way, so you should find no shortage of friends to aid you in your cause.

I am looking forward to your continuing saga. Sorry about the camera, though. You should have encircled the bird using your handy huli-hoop.

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi John! Thank you for you suggestion regarding the huli-hoop. As per your suggestion, I have now ordered several of these to be used if we decide to return and capture another one of these birds.

Be assured that I will keep you informed of our journey. We were to leave on Wednesday’s evening tide, however, we have been offered another steamer that departs a day earlier, and we have decided to go on this instead. I will send you a post card with all the news. I am expecting some unusual tales to tell.

Scott 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.