Breaking Out of the Slump

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Breaking Out of the Slump

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Playing and recording has been an absolute disaster for the last couple weeks…Not accomplishing things, and doing worse on what I already know.

So…Bought a little book of exercises for fiddle: The Fiddler’s Friend by Randy Miller. Forty Fiddle Exercises to improve technique for fingering and bow.

Decided I might as well work on  some basics if learning songs isn’t going well.

I’ve started out spending 5 minutes of attentive playing on each exercise. (with little rests in between) Only gone through 7 so far…Four more and I’ll have an hour in on just technical practice.

I’m already finding these exercises helpful for really listening to what I’m playing, improving the quality of each note, improving dexterity of both left hand and bowing, and reading notation (which I can do but don’t very often).

After being totally depressed about my playing for the last week, my mood has already improved somewhat…small price to pay for renewed enthusiasm…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Hey I think everyone slides backwards every so often . then every so often we leap forward . I am told by family members that I am improving every month as most of them do not see me more than once a month or two . But I think they are just being kind , then I review my recording every so often and I can see I am doing better , then for no reason at all I can completely drop the ball on a song I have been doing well on , then in a few hours I my do it well ??????????????

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Yep it goes that way…I go through a cycle…I view it as a stairway…shoot up for a bit, then a leveling out period…once in awhile I fall back down the stairs…all to be expected.

I guess the point of my post was that trying these little repeating exercises is quite a different thing from my normal playing, and kind of shook things up to get me more interested again (thank goodness).

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Have had “The Fiddler’s Friend ” for over a year or 2. Maybe I am just slow, but every time  I work on some of the exercises, it makes a difference. I have found the book to be a great resource that has continually help my fiddle playing and built confidence.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Cool!

I like how the exercises are fairly short and that they definitely are made for fiddlers…most I’ve tried so far have a direct relation to some fiddle tune I’ve played or heard.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

Angela
    Participant

Sounds like some good exercise, Dave.  I’ll have to check into that book.

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

What you are learning are common fiddle music “patterns”. The exercises are teaching “muscle memory” for fingers and bowing. How far you go with it is up to you. The more I learn from the exercises, the more I learn to listen for errors as I play them, teaching me to strive for a better sound throughout the exercise.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sometimes it helps to jump off the tracks for a while and take a different path.  Hope it works out really good for you!

Angela
    Participant

You guys should collect your commission. I ordered the book!

ljrock
    ljrock
    Participant

Believe you will be happy with it. Very beneficial to me, along with Hokum: Theory and Scales from melbay.com.

Angela
    Participant

NO, No, no….not another one!!!  haha…..

I guess there’s always my list for Santa!

fiddler51
    fiddler51
    Participant

I ordered the book too, hope it helps..can’t hurt, I guess!!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I keep misreading the title of this post as: Breaking out the Shrimp!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Here’s the book at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiddlers-Friend-Exercises-Improve-Fingering/dp/0977053040

Dave, you should create a review video and demo some of the exercises!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavour…it would be a good learning experience for sure…I’ll take it under consideration…never tried anything like that before.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I just purchased it , I need all the help I can get thanks everyone , I should have fiddlers friend exercises in a week or so . I guess I will be trying to learn notation or return this book as tablature is the only tools I have at this time , It would be nice if there was a copy with the number system tablature any suggestions ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in