Byron Berline's Fiddle Shop Total Loss

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Byron Berline's Fiddle Shop Total Loss

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by rodger rodger 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Byron Berline is one of my very favorite fiddlers of all time. I so much wanted to meet him in person at his Double Stop Fiddle Shop in Guthrie, OK. But Darn it all, his shop has burned to the ground.

This taken from an article in the paper:

“Double Stop Fiddle Shop is owned and operated by famous violinist Byron Berline, a member of the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame and an Oklahoma Ambassador of Goodwill. Berline moved from Los Angeles to Guthrie in 1995 to open the shop. Berline was out of town at the time of the fire”.

I wish Byron and Bette the very best recovery from this tragic event.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I thought you were gonna say because of the floods.  It’s a shame.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred so sad about the Fiddle shop I guess I will not be going there to catch the show on Saturday anytime soon , I was working up the trip for a couple weeks from now . Maybe some of the fiddles survived for a fire sale ?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I sure hope he had fire insurance. It seems like he would have had some due to having so many valuable instruments there in the shop. The newspaper indicated that he was away when the fire took place. He’s apt to have been most anywhere playing his fiddle for his many fans. I’ve been a fan of his for a good many years. Ever since I heard him fiddle “Virginia Darling” with Bill Monroe.

https://youtu.be/kb_FKUJGWdU

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

That was some hot fiddling! I’m a longtime fan myself. So sorry to hear about the shop. I hope everything was insured!

Speaking of insurance — I would encourage all musicians to ask their insurer about Inland Marine coverage for their musical instruments.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hope he can recover from it.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

How many instruments survived?

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

It looked like a total loss except for the ones in the safe, but I don’t know for sure.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

What safe? How many were in it? I heard his son was inside when it started, and saved a fiddle and a mandolin. So I didn’t even know about a safe

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

A different article mentions that the undamaged mandolin and other items were pulled from a safe that was in the fire. A closer read, however, doesn’t indicate if they were pulled from the safe before or after the fire. I don’t know if the items survived the fire inside the safe, or if the safe (minus a few items rescued by the son) was a total loss.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I saw a brief video of the firemen opening a very burnt safe, and Byron pulls out a mandolin with much tears of joy and emotion, and from that video it seems like it survived in the safe through the fire (wonder if that distress makes it sound better?)

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

Looks like Byron is re-building in Guthrie

Byron Berline rises from the ashes

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

A carelessly discarded cigarette took out over 400 fiddles, etc!

Thank goodness for the town folks and others with the ability to help. He had insurance and is planning on rebuilding at a different site.

I’ll definitely go and see him when he opens…whenever that will be is too early to predict.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Ah…the power of the lowly cigarette.  Holds multitudes in it’s slavery of addiction, depletes rich & poor of their money, chokes out the breath of it’s multitudes by poisoning the lungs. occasionally delights in burning homes & possessions, and even depletes the soil of the country.  All by our choice, for their existence is totally un-necessary with no positive return.  Are humans truly ‘rational’ beings?

Granny smoked a pipe, but pipes like hers, in the evening around the fireplace didn’t do any of this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.