Cant reach the G string

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Cant reach the G string

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    NathanNathan

I have gone through the starter lessons on here, but I can’t reach the G string with my index finger no matter how I hold the violin.  Do I just need to stretch my hand a bit? Any ideas?

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan, one common problem is that you are pointing the violin in front of you instead off to the side. Also, you may need to cock your elbow forward. Does this help? If not, upload a video of your playing to YouTube and post the link here. John

cricketcricket
    Participant

Can you hold it down like a guitar or ukelele and see if you can get your finger where it needs to go and then gradually put the fiddle up where it’s supposed to be and see if your finger can stay put?  Not sure I made myself clear.

NathanNathan

I am holding it to the side. If I cock my elbow forward I can reach it, it feels tight in my shoulder.

If I hold it like guitar then move it up I can keep it there.

Ill practice for a while and see if it gets better.

Thanks.

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Hi Nathan –

This youtube may help.

# 5 may be the answer.:

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Nice video Nancy !

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

BTW:   Rather than clicking on the red box with the white arrow – click on his picture at top left of this youtube – and It will go his youtube(s) Mix.

NathanNathan

Thanks, Nancy, that did it.

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Thanks for this video @Nancy Parker

It helped me too…I’ve adjusted my hand against the finger board. This not only raised my fingers to be able to hit the G string better, but it improves my ability to play using my fingers tips (rather than “pads”), which in turn improves my intonation.

Jim

Participant

Hi all, I am having the same issue reaching G 1st position. Watched the video which helped with some other issues, but I have small hands and short fingers…still can’t reach! Am I doomed?

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Leah – Have you  considered dropping down to a 3/4 violin?

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Maybe if you could do a short video so we can see what you are doing I does not have to be a tune just show us your hand and violin position so we can see and better advise you on how to better get the G string , the way you hold your violin can make it hard , to far in front of your body to level there are lots of things that can make it hard !

Participant

That’s a great video Nancy!  I’m making four of the five mistakes!  Do I win?

Participant

Appreciate the help everyone! the video was great but I am doing everything correctly and still having to stretch. Maybe it will work out as I progress. Not giving up!

cricketcricket
    Participant

As Steve said, if you could make a video to show maybe somebody might see what needs to be done.  You might even see it for yourself if you watch the video…lol.

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

John:  Did you get #5 right?  If yes; you win 🙂

Participant

I am SOOO glad I’m not the only one! Nancy, thank you for the video. #5 helped me as well. I can reach C on the G string in 1st position, but 3rd position? I can’t seem to get the 4th finger down. It was also beneficial like Jim mentioned, I also need to start using the finger tips, instead of the finger “pads”. Definitely improves intonation…

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Leah: This is just “a long shot” . . . How long are your nails on your left hand?  They should be real short in order for you to get your fingers in correct position over the fingerboard.  If you can’t get the nails short enough with clippers; finish up with an emory board and gently file them back a “wee-bit” more.

Participant

Hi everyone, sorry it took me so long to get this done! Here is a video of my short fingers. Just making this video made my wrist hurt to twist it that far.  As I stated in the video, I am holding the violin to my left side and my elbow is in line with it too.  Short nails. Here’s the video link – https://youtu.be/pg4CUtmfjc4

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatarleiah.
    Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

Hi  Leiah –

Maybe your wrist, arm and elbow are not in position for your fingers to reach  the G string.

<see youtube below>

Go to 10:00 on the timer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.