Carbon Fiber Fiddles

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    rodgerrodger
    Participant

It’s been a while since we talked about this, and I just wondered what input anyone has and if there are any developments with this.  I understand the price puts this out of our reach, unless we were to sell everything to invest in the pearl of great price.  But maybe by now there are some less expensive alternatives?

Listening to Michael, and reading his excitement….I’m wondering if these fiddles are a little more harmonic friendly with double stops?  Most wooden fiddles in our range, have some unfriendly response to certain harmonics, and that is why we can afford them.  I know Michael is a phenomenal player, but he really makes this look easy, and I’m wondering if it is easier to do with this fiddle??   (Also, I love the balance of the backup…it’s there, but it doesn’t overpower or detract from the lead.  Speaks volumes as to the motives of so many lead players being drowned out by the backup.  The mixer may feel like it’s necessary to hide the flaws of the lead player?  I hate to see any style being hijacked by beat & volume over quality playing.  This is really good stuff.)

cricketcricket
    Participant

I wish I could afford one…lol.  Yet, I’m positive it wouldn’t sound near that good for me.  This is so beautiful…I worked hard at Gardenia Waltz when I first came to this site…one of the early lessons I tackled.  It’s just beautiful and M. Cleveland sure makes it even moreso.  I never got beyond the horrifying double stops and clumsiness with it…lol.  Makes me both wanna try it again, and wanna burn all my fiddles…lol.

I knew a guy who had one of those Rainsong carbon guitars…very expensive and I thought it sounded tinny.  This fiddle sounds amazing…but, then, how could Michael Cleveland make it sound any other way?

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Yes Six thousand dollars is a lot for a poor boy like me !

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’ve heard really great things about CF fiddles but I still have yet to play one. :*(

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

At $6000.00 I never will play one !

cricketcricket
    Participant

We just had to pay twice that amount when the septic tank and plumbling exploded on sil living in the old TN house…when life throws that kinda stuff at you, you somehow find ways to come up with what you need.  But when it comes to buying yourself a couple of carbon fiber fiddles…lol…that money just ain’t there.  I won’t ever see or touch one either, Steve.  Like I said before, I did know a guy who had bought one of those Rainsong guitars…I loved the idea of the guitar you could jump into a rive with…but, really, it didn’t sound good to me.  Guitars are different than fiddles though, and we didn’t have anybody of the caliber of Micheal Cleveland around to play the thing either.  I’m sure he could make a toy sound great.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Yeah, someone played one of these underwater….that would be the answer to a place to practice if you have a family or neighbors.

I know we can’t afford it, but I can’t afford a trip to the space station either, but I like to watch others go.  I was just wondering if these are all they’re cracked up to be, or if it’s just hype….

cricketcricket
    Participant

Us poor folks’ll never know, Rodger…lol…just like we won’t know how much fun it might be to get inside that space station…lol.  I’m not sure I’d wanna go there…I like trees and birds and sunshine and all that…ain’t none of that up there, just black and cold and pumped in oxygen…I mean…I think if I win the lottery I’ll just go for the carbon fiber fiddle…if it ain’t no fun, I’ll donate it to the folks spending time in the space station.,,.wonder if your rosin would stick to your bow or just float all around the place up there?????

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by cricketcricket.
    Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

It would be nice to take a vacation and visit some violin shops like this and demo some high dollar violins in person and get the answers to are they really better ! Also Cricket I did get myself a new guitar during this pandemic that was rather expensive at $2,400+very nice paid cash that took me a couple years to save up for !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh cool, Steve.  You gonna play it for us????  I love your guitar and singing together.  Congrats on getting yourself a nice guitar.

As for me…I’ve been wanting to play a fiddle down under the river all day…it reminds me of somehting…something KY author Harriette Arnow once said…having lived in one of the small communities flooded out and whose culture was washed out of existence for the sake of creating Lake Cumberland, in SE KY, having her family, friends, neighbors and way of life scattered forever, like some cultural nuclear bomb hit them…one of the many things she bemoaned thinking about that was the many fiddle tunes that were drowned at the bottom of Lake Cumberland, never to be played or heard again.  Yeah, I thought of all of that today while I planted the sweet taters and some greens and held a bean bag tournament for grandson and made waffles for the winnners…lol…I was thinking … somebody oughta go play down in that lake, play a tune to all the drowned fiddle tunes down below the sand and mud, down where only the catfish can hear them…go down into the water and play a carbon fiber fiddle…lol. I guess your strings would rust…lol…or maybe you’d drown trying to play instead of swimming to keep afloat.  Maybe not a good idea.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I do have a new waltz I have wrote to post along with my guitar but still working on it the guitar is a Zager acoustic electric made in the USA all the banding around the guitar is maple not counting all the abalone it plays easy has a lifetime guarantee they even pay shipping to return back should it go bad or you just don’t like it ! I have had guitars go bad over time in the past , I had a martin that the top keep cracking after the third time I got rid of it , have had lots of guitars continue to have a high string problem or the opposite problem of string rattle so a forever Guarantee is important to me also American made !

https://zagerguitar.com/guitar-giveaway/?mc_cid=ad59da7093&mc_eid=4525ae43a6

Participant

Check this one out. It’s a lot less expensive.

Glasser Carbon Composite Violin

cricketcricket
    Participant

525 ain’t so bad, really, although I don’t have it…lol.

Steve the guitar looks great!  Hope you like it and have a lot of good times with it.  I waited for years to get a Martin D-18, finally got to where we could get one and it cracked in three months.  Called Martin and they were like…go get it fixed…ain’t our problem.  I got rid of it…I’d waited, dream, saved for too long to deal with their attitude.  My old cheap Fenders have been with me a long time…the one Mike got me as sort of an engagement “ring,” lol…I’m not into jewelry, just instruments…anyway that old Fender from way back 45 years ago…it had no case until just recently…I carried it out in all kinds of weather to gigs in a pillowcase…it had no stand and leaned against cold walls in the winter and hot walls in the summer and it lasted through a leaky roof and standing water in our trailer…dogs banging into it playing, kids banging into it playin…it cost around 125 back in 76 and it’s still in perfect condition today.  The Martin was easier to play…but I wanted it to go longer than a few months after all we payed for it.  Not worth it to me.  I won’t ever buy another Martin.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket the D-28 martin I had had a lifetime repair but it would take martin company 3 months + to get it back to me and after the third time I got rid of it , I bought it way back in the 1970 + years there’s not many company’s any more that stand behind there products

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I bought the top of their line Zager guitar 900 pro series guitar and they pay for the return postage and a full refund or free replacement ,should anything go wrong ! I have been checking them out for two years , No guitar company has a better guarantee than Zager that I know of ! Zager actually have a marten pat rights on their builds !

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    Participant

I got to play a carbon fiddle acouple of years ago a older lady had in Jana Jaes fiddle class. It seemed to me to be a little on the bright sounding side . I think she said she paid $2000 for it back then. It was not much weight to it.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Steve, Zager sounds like a good company to deal with…trustworthy instead of sneaky…lol.  That’s great.  I’d never heard of them before.

Joe, bright is what I feared…lol…after hearing the carbon “Rainsong” guitar several years ago…the description that came to my mind was “tinny.”  Of course, I don’t think the one M. CLeveland is playing sounds that way…but maybe he’s just too good for tinny to happen…lol.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Yeah, just because it’s carbon fiber doesn’t mean they are all equal.  How thick the plates are and it’s set up components could make a huge difference.  Generally you get what you pay for.  People, especially experienced professional musicians are not going to put out eye watering amounts of cash for a musical instrument unless it delivers.

cricketcricket
    Participant

As soon as one of us here wins the lottery…we know what the lucky winner will get…lol.  I guess it’s time to start buying tickets…lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I wonder about the sweat factor on these instruments.  I can’t stand chin rests…they throw my neck outta joint…can’t stand shoulder rests…so I have none of that on mine, but I sweat on the varnish quite a bit (sorry…gross…lol) and it does tend to wear away the varnish and I’m not so sure if a person absorbs toxins that way…hope not. I do a lot of knee fiddling though, especially in hot weather and if I can find the right chair for it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.