Cello on the way…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

we’ll it seems to be a time for every purpose under heaven…like, a time to buy stringed fretless instruments and a time for teeth to explode…lol.  Yes, I was gonna get a viola, and Buttons had a tooth explode…there went my viola $$$, but I got one later.  Next, I was gonna buy a cello, and my tooth exploded…there went my cello money…was gonna get one again, now Mike’s tooth has exploded…back to the d3ntist…but he’s like…let’s just get the cello and get it over with…so…I can’t argue with that logic, can I?  So…cheap Chinese cello, en route…will arrive in a few days…unfortunately w3 will be very busy with stuff we need to take care of so it’ll get tuned and the sit idly for a few days before we get done working…torture…I’m tellin ya…but at least I’m getting the doggone thing at last!  And hoping our teeth will stay intact after this!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Wow, that’s, ….well, really cool Cricket…I guess.  You have more motivation than anyone to go that far.  If you had more arms you’d be a one gal orchestra.

I just got back from a quick trip down to South Dakota.  A girl that partly grew up in our home, was killed along with her son in a head-on.  So I helped officiate at the funeral.  On the way home I spent 15 hours buried in a snow drift, right in the middle of the road in Montana.  Weirdest blizzard I’ve ever been in how it messed with my mind fighting it so long.  A blizzard like that is like a portal into another dimension if you’re out in it.  No way to describe it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh my gosh…sorry to hear about your friends, Rodger.  And the trip sounds really tough…sorry you’ve had to go through all of that.  Get yourself rested up. Terrible about the crash.  There’s a lot of bad crashes anymore, seems like.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…there’s getting to be a pattern…buy a fretless stringed instrument, lose a tooth…they went ahead and just pulled Mikes tooth this morning.  This is crazy.  I guess once my cello arrives, I’m done ordering instruments…ouch, did I say that?

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Cricket,

Happy to hear you are going for the cello.  The older I get, the more I realize to just ‘go for it’.  No more passing up opportunities – just keep moving forward and learning new things.  The fiddle and mandolin are all I can handle right now, but I did splurge on a better used bicycle for winter riding.  Much wider tires so I can actually ride on snow covered trails.  Who knows what’s next?

Joe

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Joe, in 2000 I did the Serum Run with Norman Vaughn.  It might have been the last year he was on it.  Anyway, we were out somewhere around Galena on the Yukon one day when lo & behold we saw a “bicycle” coming along behind on the trail.  It had those really big, fat tires on it.  That night we camped together, and this guy was with the first bike race on the Iditarod trail.  He also won and he also beat us…on his bike!

Here’s a picture of me & Norman,

http://www.arcticoutreach.org/serumrunhome.html

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…but looks cold! I always see people riding those mountain style bikes on the local trails we walk…I’d love to have one of those things and tr6 riding in the woods…although, here, you might ride in some snow, but I think the bigger challenge would be the mud we get here sometimes.  Well, now, speaking of the cello situation…it’s on the way, and I’m wondering if I shoulda gotten it.  I know you can’t sell a cheap musical instrument for ten dollars…lol…even if you paid two hundred…I don’t wanna sell it, but scared I might have to…if 3verybody keeps having tooth problems or if I can’t play the thing at all. It’ll be frustrating that we won’t have time to do much besides unpack it onc3 it gets here…lots of work waiting.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Maybe you can get Mike to learn it…?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe…that would go good with his I,IV, V chords on the guitar, I guess.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Just for you Cricket after you “master” your new cello. lol

Cross Tunings for Cello:

C G D A

C# G E A ( A7 built on color tone)

B F# D# A ( B7 chord)

Bb F D Bb (Bb chord)

C G E G (C chord)

C Ab Eb Ab

Db Ab F Ab

there are many more…….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ha Fred I never thought of cross-tuning a cello. That’s pretty cool.

Cricket, I can’t wait to hear the music you created with your new instrument. Congrats!

Rodger, I’m glad you made it home safely. I was a little concerned about that trip. 15 hours is a long time to be in a white-out… We don’t get to experience that kind of thing down here!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Fred…for sure I will definitely try those!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I might have to resort to it!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cello gets home today…Yay…I probably won’t get to unbox it until Saturday or Sunday…BOO…arrrggghhhhh…this is why I’m totally crazy!!!  Gonna drive me nuts knowing it’s waiting for me.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Good things come to those who wait. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Welp…just got back home and we are so exhausted…lots of very hard work, in TN, plus I took food to cook thinking we could use a hot plate, but things turned out different, so we ate weird and were pretty hungry by the time we pulled in.  Had to make lunch and coffee…now, on to more coffee and a lot of residual work here left from our working in TN…and then…at last, I will try my best to become friends with the beautiful new cello…patiently waiting for me to welcome it home.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Has it come?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes…it’s amazing for just under 200.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m so happy for Great Scott’s review of these kinds of instruments…because of this discovery, my grandson has a nice Cecilio half size violin and is now taking lessons, I have the viola, and now the cello…this is just mind boggling to me. I always remembe Great Scott as the reason I found out about these instruments, right here at my favorite website!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I know! Had to have been one of the greatest forum entries ever… 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s sure helped me, plus my family, plus a few of my long distance friends who have watched me get instruments and been wanting their own.

kjdebolt
    Participant

what was this great Scott review?  How can I find it.  I know I found the CF bows from china due to someone on here reviewing them and I am VERY happy with them.  Only thing is they take a while to get here.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know how to search a post or link it if I found it, but hopefully someone who knows can put this up again.  Great Scott did an exhaustive review of low cost instruments, of varying price ranges, etc.  I thought the Cecelio brand sounded good, weighing my budget vs quality, etc., according to the info in his post.  I order Cecelio instruments from Amazon and they are here in a few days.  S9 far, we’ve ordered the half size violin for grandson, a viola, and the cello…everything has been much more than what you’d expect for the prices…circa 200 dollar range.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Here’s the link to Great Scott’s article:

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/fiddles-under-500/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in