Chaos

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by ruckydoo ruckydoo 5 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’ve got a fair system for filing my music in it’s different categories.  But my problem is…I’m working on so many different pieces, almost all of which I can play, but not quite as well as I’d like, so they are works in progress.  Then added to that is all the tunes I can play good enough, but have lost track of whats what, so if I want them I don’t have a clue what they are.  Some of these ‘works in progress’ I’d really like to keep working on but they get buried & forgotten, and this is really snowballing on me.  So I’ll start a list of all these categories, you know..polished pieces, almost there just a little more work pieces,  just starting to work on pieces, favorites, duets, etc. etc.  Then the list gets set aside and I start another one and then there’s partial lists all over the place.  Jumping around without a plan is not an efficient way of operating.  I’ve tried to consolidate these lists, but for some strange reason can’t ever do it.  Even in a long day of practice I can’t play everything I’m working on and that makes it easy to mix everything up when some things have to get set aside.

Just wondered if anyone in this addict support group has any suggestions…Thanks

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hi, my name’s Cricket and I too operate from chronic chaos.  I used to be organized, not only with music, but just kept daily lists in notebooks of everything I did, thought of, planned to do, etc.  I would buy cheap spiral notebooks during back-to-school sales, then keep notes every day.  It was kind of a bad system in that you had to go fishing for your notes if you wnated to remember a thing from before, but at least it did keep me halfway on track with everything in my life.  Somewhere just along retirement we had a lot of chaos all around us and I abandoned my system and now work like the devil but never get anything accomplished for myself.  I’ve started notebooks here and there, but never can find where they went to, so go without, then one day start a new one, then etc., etc.  I’ve read the website of a guy who had sloppy habits of all kinds that annyoed him, Reinhardt Engels…hopefully I spelled it right…maybe not…anyway, I interviewed him for a little local radio show we did for three or four years…I think he’s the Benjamin Franklin of our time…he has brilliantly simple ideas for handling life’s issues.  He has a site called Everyday Systems…No S diet is one of his sytems…anyway, for a while I used his military-style card system he uses…it worked for about six months, during which time I practiced the fiddle like crazy, and got a lot of other stuff donw too.  But…I don’t remember now what, but something or other happened that took me away from it and I never got back to it.  Those are things I’ve tried…I’d like to get back to notebooking or something.  I can’t even remember what I CAN play on any of my instruments…let alone the huge list of stuff I can’t play but want to.  Good luck to you, my friend, from one chaotic situation to another.  Thanks for bringing it up…just reminding me of my chaos gives me a nudge that I need to try again and not just be a swirling particle in the vortex of confusion.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Wow! Roger, you’ve got me nailed down to a tee. lol

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Uh-Oh..this is sounding ominous…I wonder if we’re all hopeless!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Rodger, it sounds like you’re not the only one who suffers from this malady.

This is a common problem that gets partially solved by joining a band, and then you’re forced to practice the band repertoire.

For fiddle tunes, I tend to have a dozen tunes that I practice, and the list changes organically over time. New tunes come in, and old tunes fall out. It doesn’t happen consciously, it’s just that I have limited time to practice and I have certain tunes that I currently enjoy playing. One by one I’ll grow bored with them, and every so often a new song will catch my ear. I’m very fickle when it comes to my practice list!

However, all songs on my list are challenging. If the melody isn’t challenging, I’m working on a challenging variation. Or, I’m working on making the double-stops sound good. Or, I’m trying to play clean and fast. I always want to be pushing myself, no matter what I practice!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Guys, I feel like I’m pushing myself by staying in stanuudard tuning…lol.  That’s as good as I can do at the moment.  Beautiful day here…been straightening up berry vines…ouch…stabbed all over, but got those things neatened up.  Hopefully I can start my seeds later…I think we get more snow on Monday…but hopefully that oughta be the end of it!  Our doggies are demanding a walk in the woods for now…lol.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

John, I do very much the same thing…but my problem is I can’t remember what’s in each category and I don’t have an actual written list to follow and is current.  All I have is partial lists scattered all over.  So I may find a favorite tune and start to get it pretty good then it gets sidetracked & forgotten and I end up starting more than I can finish, & then it’s all just a jumble of starts & stops and I don’t even know what I can use when I need to.

Angela
    Participant

haha…Roger, I was reading your post thinking, “He should join a band.”  Then, I saw John’s post!  I’m usually practicing the band’s stuff now along with learning one or two additional fiddle tunes.

It’s keeping me entertained.  :^)

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

You said it…that’s a big problem…I play in an orchestra 2 hours away.  We have 8 orchestra pieces to master now with only 2 practices left before have to do all of them.  Plus, there is a pizza jam group I’m playing with, and next Saturday they are  working on 25 fiddle tunes, a lot of which I don’t know or have never even heard before, that we have to know for  a family dance that’s coming up.  And most of my practice/playing at home is totally different stuff I’m more interested in…with a lot of time spent on training work & exercises I have to do to be able to play this stuff..

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Oh boy , after reading all you guys stuff you do , I got it made I am going to stick with the tunes I already have till I graduate myself ! Ha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Guess I’m in the “out” crowd

I have recipe/file cards for each key…handy size (3×5) to fit in case or pocket and each easily holds 30-40 tunes if the titles are kept short.

When I go over a tune it’s short work to come to a conclusion on how much time to spend on it or how well I know it…if it needs lots of work I spend more time on it.

Dave

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sometimes I think it ain’t good that I’ve become a hermit…lol.  I was in a band, but I wasn’t having a lot of fun with the music…I enjoyed playing for crowds, though.  I’ve always enjoyed gigs, and used to have them without a band, but then moved up here and gradually lost touch with anybody that wanted to hear me.  The band provided that, but the music was not my thing at all…bluegrass isn’t fun for me on the guitar, because I’m not a flatpicker…and on the banjo I’m a clawhammer-er, which was very awkward in a bluegrass band, and on the fiddle I just plumb and flatout ain’t nowhere near good enough to play that bluegrass stuff…so…mostly I played guitar and just slammin’ out the chord progressions was pretty boring, to me.  There was a lot of driving involved too, which was pretty expensive, that plus keeping in strings, etc.  So…now I’m a hermit because I don’t know one person within 250 miles who cares for any similar ways of playing music…very strange situation…is that presonus good for me, becuase I can play whatever I want, however I want????? Or is it bad for me, because it does allow me to play whatever I want???  Anyway… I usually have one day a week when I could practice, but I don’t anymore, because I’d rather be making a big mess on that presonus…lol.  Addictive?  Yes!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Part of my problem is accumulating violin music books, many of which have over 50 tunes, and many of which are binders completely full.  I just counted 90 books within reach and some more buried somewhere.  The last couple years I’ve been a compulsive accumulator of those. But lots of these books I only play a few pieces out of them.  So when you pull down one of these books and start to work on something in it, it’s extremely easy for that to get lost in the pile before you get very far with it, or even if you master it.  Probably when as I draw my last breath the light bulb will come on & I’ll see what I should have done..or maybe I can quote Tennessee Ernie’s line about telling St. Peter I can’t go because I haven’t learned all my tunes yet..(you know, in his song about 16 tons of tunes)  I’m sorry…been a tough day.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’d have no problem tearing all the stuff I knew out of the books (or copying it) and organising them into one big binder.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger, I think having unfinished fiddling business increases longevity…must be some studies on that somewhere.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Old fiddlers never die …  they just….???  Well, I’m not too sure what?    They just sound that way?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Or smell that way… 🙂  I like Joe’s index card idea. There are lots of times when I need a tune and can’t remember or think of how to start it. I would like to have a small library containing just the first few bars of all the tunes I know.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

The index card is a super idea. I am going to slowly set out to write the title and the first couple of measures on each card. (Probably be best to write the first two measures to the A part and the B part.)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That sounds like a big job, Fred. Hope you have success with it. I think i’m too lazy to do something like that…but i’ve kept lists with keys, etc.  Yet…lose the lists, etc., in recent years.  These days whenever i sit down to play I can’t think of anything I know…I’m always telling Mike I’d play but i feel lik I don’t know anything…lol.  Then other times I wake up thinking of a tune I’d long forgotten about, and feel like I’ve just gotta play it or go crazy…lol.  One of these days I’ll have to tackle re-organization.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Do it in large letters Fred,..by the time you get that job done you want to be able to read it…

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Lol, Rodger. You’re so right!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Nobody has solved my problems yet.  I have three, as in 3, of those whiteboards hanging on the wall I use as reminders & to help keep track of stuff…well, they are all completely filled up, and I don’t pay any attention to any of them.  So they’ve become useless.  I will make a list for town, but often don’t even look at it when I get to town, so all they are good for is to show me, everything I forgot to to get in town when I get home.  I’ve started several threads of tunes I intend to record…I start the thread thinking that will push me and make me get to it…but it’s always something I’ll do tomorrow.  Of course, I have a multitude of unfinished jobs at home and tasks that desperately need to get done, but I can’t let that stand in the way of the music stuff.  I have a few success stories, like I’m ahead in my exercise resolutions for this year, and, well, that one anyway.  But if I don’t get some recordings made I’m afraid evolution will discard my fingers as unnecessary  before I get around to it.  Even my binder of best known tunes, if I were to find it, would only be good to tell me what tunes I used to know.  I practice every day, but am so far behind there’s not enough hours in a day to catch up.  John, I can’t believe in the Multiverse..because in one of them I’d have to be caught up, and that is ‘so’ impossible..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I have whiteboards too.  My whiteboards are neglected and lonely…they’ve got old forgotten ideas stuck to them and won’t wipe off…lol.  I guess that method doesn’t work…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha Rodger I love your antiproof of the multiverse. It’s actually one of the best I’ve seen!

Hey, what about a practice journal?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

What exactly would a practice journal say?  I mean…would a person parse out and record notes on time spent, repetitions of a phrase, keys played in…all of the above?  Just curious to see what sorts of things.  I gotta get back to working on stuff…i hate how I’ve gotten to where I only record…rarely ever play unless I’m sitting down to record on the Presonus…ugh…it’s not entirely my fau;t, though, I don’t think…life just seems crazy and unexpectedly hectic almost every day…can’t seem to lasso the time down to where I can work with anything…whenever I get any time, I’ve gotta hurry and cook or spend an hour washing dishes…almost can’t keep up with that ordinary stuff…ugh…just craziness!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

John, that would be like Moses keeping a journal of his wilderness wanderings.

I almost dropped out of the orchestra because that is what is suffering most.  But I found out most of us in there are in the same boat.  Nothing tried / nothing gained I guess.  I think I’ll try again to keep a notebook of tunes learned, another of tunes that need work,  another of tunes need started, all made up in the different categorys, like Gospel, Fiddle, Classical, Oldies, etc.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

Hey Rodger,     Problem sounds familiar and I have gotten more focused by working on a family history/autobiography cd for my grandkids to inform them of our background and save them the l-o-n-g hours of family research  and am also adding violin music that would be appropriate for the person or event that may have been heard in that period.  Not for everyone but sure is keeping me on a track that I’m finding very enjoyable.  Our family seems to like the idea too.  Have dug out many ancient songs courtesy of YouTube as well as Dr. John to liven  up some of my stories.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in