Chording/Double stops Chart for Fiddle

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Chording/Double stops Chart for Fiddle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am very interested in chording for fiddle and using chords in improvising, as I am sure many of you are as well. I have been making a chart for myself of the chords for each key. This morning I came across a website that has a beautiful chart of the chords used in Bluegrass, Irish, Celtic, and folk music for standard tuning. There is also a nice, brief, explanation of how to figure out the fiddle chords for each key. It is a nice addendum to the video I found on this site about playing chords using Boil Them Cabbages Down as an example. Here is a link to the page:   https://donrickert.typepad.com/downloads/Common_Fiddle_Chords_for_Standard_Tuning.pdf

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Thank You Carole ! three position chords is what I have needed for a long time ! This is great and I will put it to work ! Thanks again !

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I guess I was wrong about three position chords , cause you can’t do but two strings at a time on the violin , so still confused , but will work on it !

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Great resource! Steve, these charts show the triad on all strings, just pick any two strings (but preferably G and D).

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

I think what would help me is for someone to post a video of a simple tune using only chords with no backup or melody noting just chords , that might give me the jest of playing chords ?

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I’ll throw this up again from Kenny’s old thread.

it’s a link to a TEFteb of a series of climbing double stops through different chord triads that I wrote.

There is an accompanying video in the “Arpeggios” thread on pg 5 replay #71850

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp2fcc029pozney/Climbing%20Double%20Stops.tef?dl=0

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    goettjpgoettjp
    Participant

The thing I try to do is add spice.   To me, the “third” of a chord is the most interesting on fiddle.  The bass fiddle is pounding on 1 and 5.   The guitar is strumming on all three.  So I concentrate (when chording) and making pairs that include the 3rd.  Especially when it’s a Minor chord.  That flatted 3rd note is the only thing that makes it a minor in the first place.

Participant

Try getting Mel Bays Fiddiling Chord Book by Craig Duncan.

you might find it somewhere else cheaper but its a good one showing finger placement for every chord you can imagine. Double stops for each key major and minor. I should use the one i have more often.

Nancy ParkerNancy Parker
    Participant

More Chord Techniques:

<Scroll down to video>

http://www.nikolasefthymiou.com/violin-chord-charts/

Participant

Thank you John for the links to double stops chording. Visual, the chary is great and understood. Practice not so good. I’ll keep digging at it and I know it’ll get better.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

“To me, the “third” of a chord is the most interesting on fiddle. The bass fiddle is pounding on 1 and 5. The guitar is strumming on all three. So I concentrate (when chording) and making pairs that include the 3rd.”

My approach is more to find notes not being already emphasised.

Staying out of the way of whatever is up front is usually my main goal

If a singer is singing the 3rd (happens a LOT) I’ll probably ty to play 1st & 5th if behind them to create a full chord and not create that “out of tune” feeling a fiddle and voice can make when hitting the same note simultaneously.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.