Closed position double stops, and shifting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hey, what lessons would y’all recommend for me to start learning closed (two fingers) double stops, and shifting into other positions? These are two things I’d like to start doing, and want to know where to start?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Here’s some I used to practice:

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Climbing Double Stops

is a little thing I’m working onn right now. Also shared it in Kenny’s “Arpeggios “thread for him cause I couldn’t run a link to a post.

I’ll put a video up on his thread also.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Gunnar, an excellent resource that has great success is Carol Ann Wheelers  “Warm up’s For the Violinist”.  She developed this book specifically to develop her fiddle students into contest winners at the highest levels, and to keep herself in top condition.  It’s more about development exercises than just warm up’s.  I use something from it every day.  Carol has won at Weiser as well as an amazing number of her student also.  This lady knows what it takes and how to get it done.  The exercises are learned slowly and then done at increasing speeds.  She really has it figured out how to condition the mind & body to do this.

It has numerous double stop training exercises.  I might add that the best double stop training is to develop your ear for intonation so you can really tell when a single note is perfectly in tune.  When you have that, it sort of (kind of) comes naturally that when you play a double stop, you will be able to automatically adjust your fingers to tweak it as soon as your hear hears the tone.

There is a standard book of shifting exercises that starts with 3rd and then 5th position, but it would be preferable to get some direction to get into it.  First year students typically do the simple 1st finger to 3rd position shift on each string, playing open, one, two, and then shift with the 1st finger on the 3rd note, and do that every day several times. The link below is an E-book that you download and print out….only $10.00.

https://www.melbay.com/Products/98676BCDEB/warmups-for-the-violinist.aspx

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks, I was kind of meaning John’s lessons though

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in