Come back!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Thanks Cricket.  i just spent time writing an update here but just as happened yesterday, when I pressed the blue button to post it, a window popped up telling me that my connection was not secure. Next time I write anything here for a post, I will write it in Word Pad and save it and then copy it to my post. I am really over using public WiFi here. Too many shutdowns and loss of Internet which means loss of whatever I was doing online.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds pretty frustrating.  Don’t ya hate it when that happens?

Participant

Hi Cricket, I haven’t been around for a long time and just got to thinking about everyone on BGD. I can’t remember if I had mentioned my fall I had back in 2018 which set me in the hospital for a month with a brain injury. That sure disturbed my fiddling but I have tried to keep fiddling some because it’s supposed to help the brain. My biggest problem with fiddling is how to long it takes me to learn tunes and can’t get my speed up. But anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I really enjoy the music here and the friendly folks. I’m going to come back more often now. Cheers everyone. Ann or otherwise known as 1943. Kind of give my age away with that one. Ha Ha

cricketcricket
    Participant

I thought the number went along with Ann, but I wasn’t sure…I get mixed up with all the handles and names on message boards sometimes…lol…thanks for the reminder. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you are healing ok by now and getting better and better.  There is a banjo player who’s also a brain surgeon…Josh Turnkett I think his name is… he’s always talking about how playing musical instruments is so good for the brain.  As to speed…where’s the fire?  I play stuff as slow as I like and it’s so weird to me that I do get a few comments saying how much people like to hear stuff slower than usually heard…so…slow is an okay thing too!  Glad you are back. Keep on fiddling!  Keep on healing!  Welcome back.

Participant

Ann, aka 1943, nice to meet you! I’ve not been here long. Glad you’re recuperating nicely. I agree with Cricket. Sometimes playing a tune slowly can be just as pretty as a faster version. Often I prefer the slower version. Gives it a different flavor that I’m drawn to. Happy fiddling! 🎻🎶

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Ann, it’s great to see you again! John

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well guys…I haven’t been working on any new tunes for a long time…just seems busy with one thing after another.  This summer I’ve got a bunhca tropical greens started, just to try them out and get them ready in various forms (hydroponic, double-cup, and regular potting soil) to try to overwinter to have them ready to go next summer, plus maybe get a little to eat during the winter while they’re in the house.  I did that before with my ong choy tropical greens I’d started and just sorta overwintered and kept going…this year I grew a whole bunch and they’re giving us a lot of nice greens to eat.  Some of the other ones I’ve got are sort of rare around here, so I’m just guarding them from all catastrophe as best as I can…lol.

Today is our official “Granny Day,” where I become ten years old and get into all sorts of mischief with my grandson for the day…so I’m gettin’ all caught up with cooking his favorite stuff to be ready for him soon.  Blueberry pie, fried okra, fresh tomatoes and a big ol’ cabbage and beef stir fry.

Almost as much work as Thanksgiving…lol…but I like to get it done so I can have time to play with him and not have to stop to cook all that stuff.

That’s what I’m up to…even though this is a “Come Back” forum instead of a “What’s UP,” or whatever that other one is/was.

What do I plan to do with fiddle when I get the time?  I was thinking to redo either Yew Piney Mt. or Keep on the Sunny Side…although I could change my mind before I get the time to work on something.

Participant

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the nice comments and support! John, I intend to try to learn some new tunes from you because they are taught the proper way one step at a time. I so enjoy the fiddle music from everyone here. It’s great.  Ann

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hello all my Bluegrass Daddy friends. I’m just now back online after having been traveling for 2 months.

I’m back in Arkansas after having been in New York State (the Adirondacks) and  Tennessee (Clarksville and Johnson City).

It was wonderful seeing family and friends in New York and so many musician friends in Tennessee.

Now I’m back among my Arkansas pickers.

This is the first time I have been at my computer and we moved to a new house when we got back so I’m having a bit of a problem remembering all my passwords and user names.

Gee, it’s great to be back. I’ll be checking in a whole lot more as I get situated here in Searcy.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Welcome back home, Fred!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I’m glad you’re back, Fred! I hope you had a great respite.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thank You, Peggy. It’s great to be back. Can’t wait to get slowed down and spend some time here on this forum.

Thanks, John.

Mary and I had quite an adventure. The start was very sad when her mom passed away. She was 95 and would have turned 96 tomorrow, August 7th. She had a heart attack followed by another heart attack, then a stroke and fell and broke an ankle in many different places. We were unable to see her as were other members of the family due to the Corona Virus and rules protecting others in the hospital.

After the funeral we slowly developed into a wonderful time with family and friends, many of which were musicians. I spent quite a bit of time with my old band “The Foodstamp Ramblers” jammin’ away on some really fun Bluegrass and fiddle tunes.

We spent 6 weeks with my family and Mary’s family and then drove from upstate NY state (Plattsburgh area) to Clarksville, TN to spend a few days there before heading to eastern TN to hang out with a few more of my Bluegrass musicians and some dear friends of Mary’s. Then we returned to Clarksville where her son lives and spent a few more days before finally coming home to a “new” home here in Searcy, AR.

It’s nice to be home.

cricketcricket
    Participant

So sorry for your loss…sounds like a difficult time for her and the whole family.

Glad you got to see your old friends and happy you are back with us online friends…lol.  ‘Bout the only kind I got anymore.  Hope you get all settled in and comfortable.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

I’m having no problem keeping busy between chores, garden, and volunteering. Tomorrow is grandparents day as we babysit our new granddaughter for the day – that takes top priority. I have also been doing a lot of hiking. I lost my brother and his wife to the Covid. All the bickering over masks and safety just frustrates me and I take off for the mountains for some peace. Currently working on House of the Rising Sun and some new waltzes.  Joe

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gosh that’s awful, losing your brother and sister-in-law…I’m so sorry to hear of it.  Yes, it really gets to me how many people around here think the whole thing is some ridiculous conspiracy and wearing a mask takes away their freedom…blah,blah, blah.  I keep telling them: my mask protects you…why won’t you wear one to protect me?  But they don’t.  What a shame we’ve been through so much suffering and loss of life and our whole economy because people just won’t try to be considerate enough to attempt to protect public health by following the suggested guidelines.  Oh well, I shouldn’t get onto that, but it’s so ridiculous, the behavior…causing so much difficulty and suffering.

It’s great you have a grandparents day.  We’ve got Granny Day going here, for 10 years now…best day of the week! Enjoy the grandkid(s) while they’re little! We all know how fast they grow up.

Happy fiddling on the Waltzes and HOTRS!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Joe my feeling go out to you , what a horrible loss , I have a younger Brother I am worried about as he is a school buss driver and he is 63 and has all kings of preexisting conditions it will be a miracle when school starts if he survives the virus that’s sure to follow , I have talked to him but he is simple not concerned so nothing I can do but wait and watch .

cricketcricket
    Participant

Steve, I hope your brother will stay well.  I don’t think it’s a good idea at all for our country to be sending kids back to school right now…not ready for it.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

We don’t have any covid at all here.  There’s some talk that there might be a few cases a hundred miles away.  We keep hearing that’s it’s a problem down there, but it hasn’t touched us here in this part of Alberta at all.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I think Canada is doing better than most of the U.S. is doing with it.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Awful sorry for your losses, Joe. That’s just awful. best of luck to you.

Steve, I hope your brother does well staying away from Covid-19.

My band “Hit or Miss” just held a social-distancing band practice this past Saturday and we all had a super time. It’s the first time we’ve been together to pick as a band in 5 months. Wow! What a blast!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.