Complete Grand Championship Division (Finals) – Weiser 2017

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Complete Grand Championship Division (Finals) – Weiser 2017

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Just some awesome fiddling here. Thought I’d share for those who may not have run across it.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Thanks for posting. Dave.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…awesome reminder of how much more I need to practice, like how many more decades it’s gonna take…lol.  Good stuff!  fun to watch…thanks, Dave!  There’s some good fiddling going on in the world.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Dave , They were all great , Like Cricket said maybe in my next lifetime ! Ha

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I find I get the most out of listening at 75% speed.

Full speed it just all goes over my head.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well…dear me…Who Won??   I hate to be the judge.  Was it #4??

Luke’s version of the Old Rugged Cross was incredible.  Never heard some the stuff he did in that before.  I wonder if there’s a video of just that somewhere?  For some reason, this video starts at about 7 minutes in and Luke plays the Old Rugged Cross at 4 minutes in, so you have to go back from where it starts.  Or is this just my computer doing this.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by rodger rodger.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I think I edited the link to start at 2 seconds…learn something new every day…

I loved Luke’s version of that and of Red Rag…tried to find RR alone on a recording somewhere and failed.

If you had clicked on “Show More” you’d’ve seen this:

Grand Champion Results:

1st Luke Price 31 Portland, OR Dusty Miller, Old Rugged Cross waltz, Red Rag

2nd Tristan Clarridge 30 Forks of Salmon, CA Sally Johnson, Rachael Ann, Limerock

3rd Tashina Clarridge 35 Mt. Shasta, CA Sally Goodin’, Festival Waltz, I Don’t Love Nobody

4th Katrina Nicolayeff 34 Meridian, ID Cattle In The Cane, Silome, Lone Star Rag

5th Katie Glassman 36 Boulder, CO Sally Goodin’, Roxanne’s Waltz, 14 Day In Georgia

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Incredible! Thanks for the link, Dave. Loved the double stops on Luke Price’s “Old Rugged Cross Waltz.”

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

very good

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I could have sworn Tristan would have earned 1st. Oh well. Superb fiddlin’ by them all. Thanks, Dave.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I think it was that fantastic rendition of the Old Rugged Cross that captured the judges Fred.  Truly innovative, plus…I think he was battling an ever so slightly off tune string and compensating for it, and if that’s so, he choose not to tweak that string before going into the last piece but just compensating for it because it was easy for him and he didn’t want to break the flow.  To balance Tristan’s technical perfection against Luke’s performance how could they pick a single winner?  I’m sure they will remember that next time to balance it out.  Hard choice, but great work on the judges part.

Wow… a while back there was a discussion on the health of fiddling in today’s culture.  I was somewhat cynical back then, but now…all I can say is Wow…it seems to be the best  & highest quality we’ve ever had.

OK…I just watched it again, and I think the players themselves conceded that Tristan did win, (with a perfect performance) but I’m sure it was an emotional choice by the judges.  The judges care more about emotional impact than perfection.

And, after all, Luke rolled up his pants cuffs like we always did back home….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I agree — emotional choice! How do you judge such great fiddlers?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in