Confusing and irritating…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Tune-specific help and comments Confusing and irritating…

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well there’s been an old tune running around my head for a few days and I’d like to try to play it sometime soon, but what’s confusing and irritating is I have no idea what it’s called. I could maybe just play it…but not sure I’ve got the whole thing straight in my head…so I’d like to look it up on youtube and here two or three different versions so I can just play it somehow to my liking and not be too far off from the original, if there is ONE (sometimes there’s 50 or more).  Well anyway, not sure what got me thinking about it but it mighta been that episode number 1 of the Ken Burns music history thing…maybe…I don’t know.  I’ve heard it a lot on banjo my thinking is now of the fiddle playing it.  I thought it was called Callahan, or Last of Callahan, but I’ve watched four or five youtubes by that title and none of them are anything like what tune I’m thinking of…so…annoying I can’t know what it is.  We got to this point on the wall where we had to back-track…dig up some of the gravel because we realized we will need a fence up there or else the doggies or us could fall 10 or 11 ft down over the edge once it’s done…you can buy their own fencing system to go right up to the edge, but we’re already past the rows where we’d have to have started that, and we are not into taking rows off by this point.  So we just dug up gravel 3 ft away from the edge and are putting in posts with a lot of concrete and waiting for them to stabilize and stay level good enough for us to pack in the gravel and keep on going up…so…I’m looking up that tune and having no luck at all.  If it ain’t nothing to do with Callahan, then I can’t guess what it is.

Anybody else ever have that?  LOL…I know I’ve heard it, but no idea what it’s called or where I could hear it to get a refresher on it.  Annoying.  I hate to record something and have no title…or to maybe get it so wrong, like get it confused midway with another tune or something…I’ve done that too…you can get a big mess of tangled up tunes going and not realize how crazy you’re playing if you don’t watch out…especially with OT…so many tunes sound so similar, and so many tunes of the same name sound so different…make ya go crazy.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Just record it and maybe we could all put our heads together and figure out what it might be.

Maybe it’s Calico and not Callahan. There is a tune called Calico

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ve had that happen a few times, it’s irritating. Record it and put it up and maybe someone will recognize it?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

If I get recording time before i figure it out, I’ll put it up and we can have a big guessing game!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I know what it is, but I’m not saying!

ha ha lol.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’m lucky to remember what room I’m in…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…you guys are funny!  ok…I think I figured out what it is…it’s called Dead Man’s Piece…not a happy-sounding name…lol.  But ok…I’m guessin’ it was the tune that some guy used to always play, then he kicked the bucket and his buddies didn’t know what he ever called it so they named it that in honor of him…hmmmm…maybe, maybe not.  But I was thinking it was one of the Callahan variations, but no…I remembered, looked that one up on youtube and that’s what it is I was thinking.  Normally it’s played on banjo, but it’s cool on the fiddle too.  In my thinking, as we’ve shoveled these last few tons out of the 20 tons of gravel we’ve moved, shoveled, raked, and tamped…my thinking of the tune was on fiddle.  I can’t find anybody fiddling it on youtube, but I didn’t spend a lot of time searching.  I did find Dwight Diller, the world’s greatest clawhammer banjo player, imho, playing it on banjo:

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

That’s a nice tune, I look forward to hearing you play it!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s got an odd string in the tuning on banjo.  When thinking about it on the fiddle, seems it oughta be in Calico tuning…but I have no idea…I might just have to try and see.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Sounds like every ending phrase is on an open string.

Or it’s in some type of open tuning. Not sure.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I used to know what tuning it was…an odd one not used much.  Can’t remember but I guess I can look it up one of these days and play it on the banjo.  It’s one of those tunings you just mainly use for one or two tunes only…not much usefulness other than that.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I looked up the banjo tuning…just really quick…and found more answers than I wanted…so…who knows?

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Maybe the person who named the tune had a momentary lapse of memory too and couldn’t remember the name of the guy who wrote it:)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…these old tunes have a wild and crazy history.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.