Cool video you might find interesting

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Cool video you might find interesting

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by MoonShadows MoonShadows 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Someone shared this on Fiddle Hangout and I haven’t had the time to watch it yet, but just started the first few minutes to find the best Old Time fiddler alive today, in my opinion…John Morris, of Clay County, WV.  That just tells me this is gonna be a fascinating hour of old time music to watch and hear.  I’ll have to come back to it either later on tonight or sometime on Friday I guess, but I’m looking forward…hope somebody else here finds it interesting too.

Angela
    Participant

OH WOW.  Thanks for the tip, Cricket!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I just watched the whole thing and I can’t remember ever seeing such an informative documentary on Appalachian music and mountain folk. I have watched a few from Tennessee, but this one is exceptionally well produced. Thanks, Cricket.

Angela
    Participant

What Fred said! Plus…very inspirational

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I managed to watch it while eating supper…we cast it onto the TV from the chromebook…wow!  I’m tellin’ ya…the people I’ve met in WV guard their old folk music like nothing else!  John Morris is just a fantastic fiddler and a great guy…I met him once when i drove out to the Vandalia Gathering they have there on the capitol grounds in May…back around 12 years ago, and he was leading a big jam…it was really fun and I learned so much watching him play.  We talked for a while afterward and he was just so nice and generous with his knowledge of fiddling.  They’re all good out there…I saw just about everybody in the documentary when I was at the Vandalia Gathering that one year.  I really can’t stand to travel, so this was a big deal to me…lol…to just get in the car and go that far to play music and meet some other musicians…wouldn’t do it today, though.  I just really can’t stand to travel, even that short of a distance.  My only thing with this documentary was that Dwight Diller never showed up…I thought I saw him going out the door of the school-looking place with banjo player Kim, at one point…really quick…didn’t back it up to see if it was him because at the time we were starving from working in the terrible heat all day and choking down fried chicken and greens and watching at the same time…but I think I did get a glimpse of his face … don’t know why he wasn’t involved in the video.  He and John Morris play some of the best OT music together you could ever hear in this day and age.  They made a movie quite a few years ago now…maybe 20 years ago…called The Fifth String…it was filmed in some of the locations seen in this documentary…a drama they made up…sorta half-amateur film, but the music is just unbelievably great…combo of Dwight on banjo and John on fiddle.  Lots of great, great old time music throughout the whole movie.  It’s a story about a guy in WV (played by Dwight Diller) who denies his culture and heritage to the point of moving to the big city in Pennsylvania to become a college prof (the only thing was they made him a prof of musicology, which kinda defeated the purpose of his role, in a sense)…his uncle dies, he goes back home, and meets up with the old people and the old ways, and his cousin, played by John Morris, who was raised by the uncle as he was himself.  They play a ton of music, Dwight’s character eventually gets forced into absorbing his culture and music again and it all ends up pretty good.  The music is just great…did I say that?  I would highly, highly recommend that movie, The Fifth String, to anyone who found this West Virginia TV documentary interesting…someone recently told me they had found it on Amazon.  So…you won’t be disappointed if you love old time fiddling and banjo.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I just realized this sounds like a sales pitch…lol.  But seriously, the music in the Fifth String…just the best I’ve ever heard.  John and Dwight are really good together.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Oh wow, cricket. Thanks for posting this. I can’t wait to watch it. I’ll probably post it on my blog as well. I just watched “The Legends of Old Time Music” on DVD this morning. I’ll make another post about it on another thread.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.