Country Fiddle Intros

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kjdebolt 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sryanlacey
    Participant

Recently I came across your three- lesson YouTube series of Country Intros from 2012.  I find these lessons useful to help make my country fiddling efforts sound more fiddle-like.  I appreciate subjects such as hammer ons, timing, double stops, etc. that I can apply to the melody of a song for a more impressive sound.  I’m finding that the fiddle intros also serve as very fine breaks, or at least a good start to a break, and can be transposed to several keys,  so they are very useful

Would you consider doing more lessons like these using classic ’50’s and ’60’s country favorites …especially those using a three chord I IV V that fit well into my local country Jam groups.  Just FYI, these groups play in G, C, A, D and E.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Intros, hot licks, and ending tags would be a useful thing to learn.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks, I would love to do more lessons like that.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

“Hot Licks for Bluegrass Fiddle” by Stacy Phillips is a great workbook.  It has 450 licks and special sections on riffs.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

P.S.  A.”CD” is included w/the workbook.  – n

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good stuff

sryanlacey
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions about licks, intros and endings.  Although these are useful, it is more the technique that I need to have demonstrated.  I play classic 50’s and 60’s country songs, but still sound too much like a classically trained violinist.  I want tips and ideas to achieve a country sound (vs bluegrass or old timey). I find bowing ideas, but want to learn left hand technique such as effectively sliding into notes, throwing an occasional doublestop into the melody line.  John’s hammeron lesson (that happened to be in the context of country intros) is an great example.  I know there are other ideas that I am not realizing yet. I am hopeful for lessons along these lines that might have a side benefit of teaching other general concepts.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Sryanlacey , any song you want really bad to learn , just go to the paid request and pay john for a lesson of your chose and he will fix you right up with the style you choose , most money he makes here goes towards the kids camps , also the lesson becomes available to everyone on blue grass daddy . Check out Don’t Be Angry lesson that I paid for it’s a Stonewall Jackson tune and its very Classic Country

kjdebolt
    Participant

I, too, would love lesson on Intros, licks and riffs and endings for fiddle.  Please John- I’d be willing to pay for such a lesson for the group.  Let me know if  can.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in