Cricket , Rosin , Bows and strings ?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Cricket , Rosin , Bows and strings ?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 2 months ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket I am obsessed with rosin Too , I have 19 different ones so far , I think I am going to make myself a shadow box and display them ! ha , I also have 9 bows three are wood bows one is a fiberglass bow , and Five are CF Bows ! I though that just maybe I would get lucky and find the magic rosin or bow and make everything so much better , Turns out that some are better for me anyway , My favorite rosin is Andrea so far ! and My favorite bow is a CF Coda Bow Diamond NX ! Question one , Cricket what is your favorite rosin and Bow ? and Question two any magic stuff or tricks you care to share about rosin and bows ? Maybe In the next Chapter maybe we’ll talk strings so many out there and I have not a clue yet except I seem to like Helicore mediums So many I would like to try , But reluctant to try as it’s such a expensive venture ?   So Cricket what is your favorite Strings and Why ?

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Steve,

I’m too cheap to be obsessive with anything, except bicycles – I’ve got one for each season.  I got a real good deal on a CF Codabow Aspire several years ago and have been really pleased with it.  It’s currently in for its’ third rehair.  It is amazing the improvement with a re-hair; you don’t realize how the hair is slowly loosing grip.  I’ve tried several rosins.  For the last two years I’ve been using the Andrea solo but I find that it is almost too grippy and it cakes on the strings.  I’m going to try the Andrea Piacere and see how that works.  I’ve also tried several strings over the years and settled on the Infeld Reds.  They are a little pricey but give a great warm tone to my fiddle; so I look for sales.  I tried going back to Dominants at one point, but they didn’t sound good compared to the Infeld Reds.  I don’t have any major vices, so the fiddle gets my spare change.

Joe

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Joe I agree the solo is grippy I use both the Piacere is softer but they both will build up if you use to much I use a tooth brush quite often to brush out the excess ! I clean the strings with alcohol wipes when build up happens , I have never rehaired  my bow yet but have studied about horse hair some , I know its not all equal in quality , So Joe what hair do you recommend !

Joe where do you send your bows to and how much does it cost to get a rehair done ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…oh gosh, there’s just no hope for some of us.  Well I like different rosins…dark heavy ones for really soul-slammin’ chuggin’ along, and lighter ones for happy-go-lucky fiddling.  I’m not sure what-all kinds I’ve got…I don’t have a lot to spend on them, but have managed to collect a small handful.  My grandson goes nuts when he comes over and sees a strange new rosin here.  I have to hide my favorites.  I bought an interesting one last year, Jade…it’s green and it’s just got a different feel to it…I’m still not sure what I like to play it with best…it’s very different.  I have a cheapie carbon fiber bow but don’ tknow what kind it is.  I have a mess of old rotten bows and some fake bow hair…one day I’m gonna lasso my husband down and make him help me re-hair some of them, or more likely, he’ll do it and I’ll help him.  Then I bought an incredibow for fiddle several years back…mainly out of my insecurity caused by so many years without funding for instruments…the incredibow is sort of the survivalists bow…if civilization falls, it should keep on playing with less rosin necessary and last for years…lol. So I’m ready for whatever, musically, but ready no other way, though. But then I was afraid about my cheap cello and cheap bow, plus cheap viola plus cheap bow, so I got another incredibow that’s universal for both of those, knowing I’d never be able to afford new bows for them and anticipating the frustration to have those instruments with no bows.  The thing, though, that I don’t like about the incredibow is it has no frog, so it’s not that comfortable to my hand, the way I hold it…plus it’s strung tight…tighter than I like…I like a very loose bow.  But it does sound better in recording, on my equipment, anyway…and it’s that survivalist thing…lol…I don’t think I can ever go without playing the fiddles anymore…so if we get too broke to keep me in bows, I’ll have those incredibows…just a security thing for me.  Let’s face it…fiddling is as much fun as biking!  And you just need a lotta stuff!  I saw on the email my two rosins are on the way…bow has not been shipped yet.  I can’t wait to try my gold fleck and see what that’s all about.  Then, I can’t wait to see the look on Roro’s face when he finds an Easter Egg with Magic Rosin in there.  I know he’ll go show that off to his violin class…it’ll be fun to give that to him.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

I went from Prim strings to Dominant strings and won’t go back to Prim. Joe, I will try the Infeld Reds.  I took Steve’s advice and bought Andrea Piacere rosin.  I think that is correct – it wasn’t the Solo

Steve,
    Last week I went to a local music repair shop. I think she charges $35.00 or $50.00 to re-hair a bow. I’m not positive about that though.

The lady normally repairs instrument for the school music programs here.  She let me try 12 or 13 different used bows that had all been re-haired. I picked out two that I liked. There really is a difference in the way they play.  One plays a little sweeter and one has heavier wood with better balance.  They both grab my E string better, eliminating a squeal/whistle I would sometimes get with the old bow.

So now I have two new to me bows and I don’t know the name of either, but they both play and sound better than the one I was using. Both are wooden bows and probably weren’t expensive when new. I hope you can find someone like her in your area.  I recommend someone that works with the school music programs. They usually have spare bows hanging around.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I was buying helicore because people on fiddle hangout were raving about them.  Then I kept breaking an A string all the time…by that time people on fiddle hangout were raving about Prims.  So I bought a few sets when I could.  Now I gotta use them up before trying something different…lol.  I still haven’t found THE strings.  I change them as infrequently as possible, so it might be a long haul before I know what I like.  On the guitar it has always just been Martin light gage for me…same with banjo…so much easier and cheaper…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kenny thanks , I read a article about rehairing bows From a site where a woman does it ! She wrote below .

A good rehair is not overloaded with hair—putting more hair than just an even band at the ferrule endangers the fragile head and frog mortices, and has a dramatically negative effect on sound production. There is ample evidence from scientific study and personal experience that proves more hair = less sound—as the sound is quieted by the layers of hair. The sound is without clarity and elasticity is needed for quick response…in response, the frustrated musician applies more rosin, exacerbating the problem !

So after reading this I sure don’t know how to rehair ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds intimidating.  Mike watched a youtube on it and thought he could do it, so we bought fake horse hair…but that was a long time ago…lol.  He doesn’t seem too anxious to give it a try.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

If you have some old bows you have nothing to loose , You already have the hair , just measure the thickness of the hair on one of your good bows and copy ! kind of

By the way I checked the date , I bought my good bow and it has been ten months of playing , I noticed the dark areas in the hair where I accidentally touch the hair with my hands from time to time , It was real dark around the frog area . So I remembered Johns video on cleaning the bow hair with alcohol so I did that , and wow it’s like new again ! My violin is louder now too !

goettjp
    goettjp
    Participant

I just drag my horse’s tail over the barbed wire fence….

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

well that would get rid of some unwonted hair !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hmmm…wondering if Chihuahua hair would work??????????

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket get out the old spinning wheel and well find out !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We have only one with long hair…but it’s the right color for bows, so…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Lets get err done Cricket , I can’t wait to try out the new Chihuahua hair bow

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, if you have a Chihuahua with hair long enough to rehair a fiddle bow…..well, I’d say you got something really special there…..

Seriously, I wonder why no one has ever used human hair on a fiddle bow, just to say they did?  Do you suppose it might be an issue finding a donor? It really doesn’t take that much, and someone could donate that size of a hank without it being noticed (well, kind of).

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I am still working through my half cake of Andrea a Piacere. I am most of the way through it, so I have now turned it 90 degrees to work through it again.

“Fiddlerman” sent me a couple of cakes of “Magic Rosin” from the Fiddlershop to try out, and I’m really looking forward to that.

Rodger, if you can imagine it, it has probably been done!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Wow human hair violin bows !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gee Whiz!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Just find a lady wearing horse shoes and see if she will donate a hank of hair.  Reminds me of the old song…Honeycomb.

Oh no….always loved this song….now I’ve got to find the music for it.

……Oh, then well he made a little bird
    And they waited all around till the end of Spring
    Gettin’ every note that the birdie’d sing
    And they put ’em all into one sweet tone
    For my Honeycomb.

And He roamed the world lookin’ everywhere
    Gettin’ love from here, love from there
    And He put it all in a little ol’ part
    Of my baby’s heart

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I do remember reading somewhere one time a long time ago about the Japanese having made ropes out of hair, people hair, that is.  I made corn husks ropes before and they are amazingly strong.  But I’m pretty sure I’m just going from a little off topic to way off, so that’s where I’ll end this one.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Just got my fiddle back from the shop and it definitely sounds different, in a much better way.  I finally found a good luthier about 60 miles from home.  He plays in the symphony and makes high-end violins and cellos in his small shop, along with repairs.  I enjoyed that we talked awhile about my concerns and playing, and he listened to me play.  I ended up with a reset soundpost, new bridge, and bow re-hair (no chihuahua’s or human’s involved).  He also played my fiddle for awhile and made me realize that it  does sound really good; it’s the owner that needs some improvement and fine-tuning. He also talked me into a pretty inexpensive ($4), but thicker, E string (Thomastik Infeld E01st) that is much less tinny and shrill.

Steve, the bow re-hair was $60.  However, things do cost a bit more here.

Joe

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Great that you found someone to set you up! Good luthiers whom you can communicate with are worth their weight in gold.

fiddleharlot

I am reminded of golfers who are convinced that if they buy that $600 driver, they will instantly become lower handicap golfers.  I have a luthier — it’s a drive, but worth it— and I’ve been happy with his suggestions, so I listen to him. Find someone like that, and you’re set. Prims make my fiddle sound magical. Jade rosin works for me. Pernambucco (?) wood bows are the only game in my book. Wittner geared pegs cuz I’m too old to fight with friction pegs.  Primo Secondo shoulder rest for my long neck.  And I let him rehair my bows.  None of this is expensive except for the drive to his shop.  I’ve stopped looking at websites that promise me equipment upgrades that take the place of practice.

As to rehairing your own bow, as my mother used to tell me about sewing when I’d sew in zippers didn’t lie right— someone in a factory who does 100s of them a day is going to do it better than my once in six months zipper.  Same with rebowing.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Once in a while, if the mood strikes me just right, I’ll re-hair one of my bows when it needs it real badly. With the proper tools on hand it’s really not much of a job, just time consuming to get a good fit. I don’t use any glue whatsoever (I was trained not to) so the most important part of the task is getting the wedges cut to perfect shape so they will hold the hair in place. Proper wood and very sharp tools are required for this step. The rest is a piece of cake.

I no longer re-hair for anyone else, just me. I just can’t charge enough money to make it worth my while.

I only use stallion hair and prefer it from Siberia. Much of the cheap bow hair is mare hair and it doesn’t hold up mostly because the mare goes pee-pee through the hair and weakens the hair and reduces the quality.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Practice everyday may get you there , where you can preform in your sleep so to speak with little effort , But when the day comes to preform and your about to enter the stage , If you need to stop and practice then your not ready ! Ha I believe a good bow , good rosin , and a violin that’s sweet helps , perfection comes with steady as she goes , For me I feel I am descent on some tunes , But perfect not even , perfection does not come for Me , as I am never satisfied with my performance , I always hear something I do not like , no matter how many times or years I have played the same tune , How ever I thrive on trying to do better , and of course I have all the excuses , like my hands are to big , I have some timers , My so forth and so on is holding me back , Anyway as long as it’s fun for me I will continue till I can not !

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

I’m at the age where I quit worrying about perfection with anything, because  I finally realized it isn’t possible, or necessary.  Having fun is more important.  I’m never really satisfied with any tune I play but I can accept that.  If I’m comfortable with the tune, I’ll play it in front of others.  If I’m not, I’ll keep practicing.  If it frustrates me, I’ll set it aside and may or may not come back to it.  At this point, my main focus is intonation, timing, and having fun.

Joe

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Now Joe That’s also what I was talking about , I am with you !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m all about living with my many imperfections.  But sometimes…whew!   The imperfections get way too lousy to deal with…lol.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Out of my winnings, I chose to get some Salchow rosin and I’m very happy with it. It’s a medium dark and it’s perfect for this time of year. I put it on sparingly and it lasted for a two hour hot-n-heavy fiddle spree last night with no squeaks or squawks. Mighty happy camper….yay!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s great Fred , made in the USA too !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, Steve. I’ve got a pretty good combination of stuff that I’m using right now. I’ve got my old 1834 fiddle (recently fitted with a new bridge and sound post); my old Tourte bow with Siberian horsehair; a nice shoulder rest made of maple (some of the foam held to it by electrician’s tape, lol); and my Salchow rosin. Who could ask for anything more? :-D

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.