Custom 5 string Electric option, just an FYI.

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Custom 5 string Electric option, just an FYI.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

RSQ4x4
    Participant

So many years ago when I first started playing jigs and blue grass as a young student, my first thought was “why are these strings so darn close”.  Later in life, I began playing again and I’m really working on the country thing, so the whole why are the strings so close became an issue again. I’m a guy, with guy hands, larger then who ever designed the violin. After many attempts at asking different violin makers to build a custom wider neck and finger board, I finally found a guy in New York! I told him my ideas and I was surprised to find that I was not the first to request this! Though my string spacing request was a bit more then he’s done before. My reasoning was if they are to far apart, I can’t always bring them closer together later. So he built me a 5 string (why not?) with a sting spacing of 7.5mm! And it has made my life easier! I love the room! Plus the violin is a bit different, the designer, designed it for extended playing, that’s why he came up with the cool strap system for it. I quility of work is good, finish is ok, but for the money, you can’t beat it. PLUS it sounds GREAT!!! He does standard 4 string all the way to a 7 string! Crazy! And I way happy I got a 5 string, so much that I got a second one as a back up. Now I wish I would have went with a 6 string. Anyway check him out on fb, Electric Violin Lutherie.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by  RSQ4x4.
    Great Scott
    Great Scott

Hi RSQ4x4 — Thanks for taking the time to give us the heads up about this luthier:  he sounds pretty accommodating  A seven-string violin sounds way crazy; as does a six-string!  I am glad you are happy with the electric violin that you bought; especially now that you have more finger room.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks for the great review! I’m glad you found something that works well for you. I would love to see you playing this baby in the Lion’s Den at some point!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in