Cyclone in Mozambique

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant

According to the reports we’ve seen so far this morning, it looks like the cyclone hit Mozambique in the central part of the country.  Mozambique is a very elongated piece of land, and Gunnar said he lives in the northern part of the country, 40 miles from a paved road, so that offered some hope to us that his family could be outside of the immediate impact area.   We’ll be praying that is so, but as you can imagine, the impact of a cyclone can be huge and can disrupt food supply chains, travel and communications in areas far from the immediate impact site.  Our prayers are with him.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That is sad I though he was in Texas , Prayers for all !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh…Gunnar, where are you?  Are you still in Texas?

Pat
    Participant

Ignore my post about the cyclone and my worries about Gunnar’s family.  I just discovered that Gunnar posted to the Lion’s Den on the 17th so he must be ok.    Boy do I feel foolish!

BBC news is updating it’s reports really often right now.  A little while ago they said that Mozambique, parts of Zimbabwe and Malawi were all devastated in the cyclone.  Gunnar said he was living in northern Mozambique and since Malawi runs right along the western border of northern Mozambique, I was very worried.  Now I can get some sleep.

We lived overseas twice… Pakistan 2 years and Afghanistan 3 years and also did a short-term project in Ethiopia.  This scare with Gunnar brought back things I try hard not to think about.  Sorry if I scared you guys.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Gunnar posted today March 19, 2019 at 10:23 AM in special announcement re the 2018 lions den awards so all is well !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

He is still in Texas…but may well have had friends affected.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Don’t feel foolish…we all can’t help but worry about our online friends, especially if you’ve lived in similar locations and know how devastating such things can be.  But good to know he’s still in Texas, where hurricanes can wipe them out there in a heartbeat too, as we know…I guess he’s in the right places at the wrong seasons for such disasters.  Tough times for people dealing with such things, anywhere really, but especially in places that might not have access to much help.  I hope his friends are ok.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’m ok, I am still in Texas, the part of the country that was hit is a long way south of us, (of where we live, not where we are right now) but it may have effected the road. we do know some people who have family in the town that got hit the hardest, but we don’t personally know anyone down there. thanks for your collective concern though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.