Daily Practice

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar lukidog 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

First I would like to thank everyone here at BGD for posting your thoughts on the forum.  Many have helped me in the last five months since I joined the site.  All have been encouraging.

Dave, a special thanks to you for starting me on improvising!  I started working on double stops in December, have practiced everyday since and with your help I’m finding endless ways to find fill licks.  You gave me the kick start I needed.

One thing I have learned from Dave is that sometimes you have to find things for yourself.  Someone else can only show you so much then you must go to work yourself.  That was some tough love when Dave would say – You must figure that out by listening, but it was really what I needed.
    Thank you my friend.

Five months ago I couldn’t play a closed double stop ( not a drone)
    Now I can go back and play some of John’s lessons that I couldn’t even start to play then.  John, thank you for BGD. There is so much here no matter what level you are playing on.  There are challenges for all.

My daily practice starts with the scales by playing with John’s video.  I then play Dave’s climbing double stops.  (I have only learned four keys to date)
    Then I mess around with arpeggios, then try some fills remembering to  find a target note.  Then I might work on memorizing a BGD tune.

My targets or goals for myself are to be able to play backup to a singer and to be able to hold my own in a jam.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s great Kenny , I personally have not done what your doing , I have only been learning the lessons , But thanks to You and Dave there’s a wealth of stuff to go to and start learning when I am ready !

I am and have always been a singer / rhythm guitar first and still am So that’s two thirds of my jams ! I do play the fiddle at the jams using Johns lessons and I have tried to learn the tunes people play so I can play a intro or Break but no fills yet !

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Steve,

I too play guitar and sing first.  Whenever I go to a jam and try to play the fiddle someone always hands me a guitar and asks me to sing a song   I guess that’s a polite way to say I can’t play the fiddle.  LOL

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Kenny and Steve…you guys are both doing great.  Fiddle is a harder instrument than guitar, or as my grandson likes to call it, gutter…lol.
    “Granny, which gutter did you play the last time?”  He’s a little comedian…whoops…I’m off topic.  Anyway, I think one thing all of us ol’ guitarists, or gutterists, have learned is that fiddle is in a whole nother universe.  It’s worth the effort, but yeah…it does take some effort…and finding good lessons like what John has and good advice from other experienced players like Dave makes a huge difference.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Steve,

Learning the tunes is a great way to learn how to play.  John has many ways of showing us how. I found I was having trouble with the tunes because I couldn’t do some of the double stops.  Now that I am practicing those, going back to the tunes is easier for me.

Cricket – thanks for your support and  your posts. This is a good site. I just love the sound of the fiddle. It is a unique instrument. I am still working on getting my bow hand/wrist more flexible.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Kenny the first year I tried to play at a gig I mostly failed because I simple was not strong enough to push through it , if other people were in the wrong chord even for a short while or there timing was wrong it would cause me to crash I would loose my place , I started bringing my own backup on CD to show them I really could play the tune

PS I am almost at the end of my 2nd year coming up in June , I am still struggling still working on perfecting my first 25 or so tunes !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I’m also a guitarist first. But I play enough different things that I can’t define myself with any easy to say word (maybe idiot, but I mean musically) I’m not entirely sure what the original topic is about or why I posted… the fiddle is definitely a step up in difficulty from anything that i play well, I messed around with my grandma’s accordion a few months ago, now that’s really hard. Let’s see, Kenny mentioned double stops, I learned cajun fiddle yesterday, that’s got a lot of drones, few double stops, I’d better quit talking before I get way off topic ????

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Steve says: “PS I am almost at the end of my 2nd year coming up in June , I am still struggling still working on perfecting my first 25 or so tunes !”

Steve, I think you’re doing great and I’ve enjoyed watching and listening to your continuing improvement. It’s a real treat when you post.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Kenny…I agree, the fiddle is absolutely the coolest thing.  I mean…if it all ever starts coming together (which mine sometimes gets close to, but no bananas…I get it in my imagination and then it teases me by coming slightly close to what I wanted, but running away), what a cool thing.  There’s just stuff you can do on the fiddle that can’t be done on other instruments…for instance, in my view at least, you don’t have to commit to a tone…I mean…it takes forever to learn to play the doggone thing in tune, but you can slip and slide around a tone sometimes on purpose (or it automatically happens by accident…lol) and just be kinda noncommittal on the tone.  I love that about the fiddle…you can of course bend notes on fixed fret instruments, but that’s cool in its own way, but it’s nothing like what the fiddle can do.  Also, to me…the bow breathes life into the fiddle…with a guitar (I’ve gotten so used to calling it gutter because of my comical grandson…lol_but I’ll stick with guitar as best as I can), you strike…it resonates…that’s cool…but with the fiddle, with your bow…you can approach it in numerous ways, but as your bow glides across the strings, spit-second by split-second, your bow is breathing that sound, that tone, while your fingers are shaping the exact tone, not a fixed tone…and the two together can just make that fiddle come alive.  That’s why I just love to practice extremely slowly on certain types of tunes…mainly old time (I tried to practice slow on Gardenia Waltz and Golden Fiddle Waltz and found there is a slow wall you will smack into and fall apart…you just, or I just can’t do it on those kinds), and just explore each note/tone and explore what that bow can do…I don’t practice that way hardly at all anymore because as I’ve bemoaned so much, I have no time for practice these days…and whenever I get time to play I go down and play a tune on my Presonus…so that’s my only practice or playing on any instrument at the moment, for the past couple of years anyway.  But if we can get stuff caught up enough and get everybody happy enough with stuff at some point without killing ourselves over-working, I hope to get back to practice and jamming time and get back into it all again.  Fiddle is awesome.  I love playing any instrunent I know how to play, but fiddle is by far the most complicated, hardest, yet the greatest of them all.

lukidog
    Participant

Kenny, I read your practice routine with interest and I’m wondering what video you meant when you said you practiced scales with John’s video. Also where would I find Dave’s climbing double stops?

My playing began several years ago (in my 60’s), never played any music but always loved the sound of a fiddle. Figured it would be a good retirement project. Took a few lessons when I still lived in NH, but soon moved to TN and haven’t been able to find a “fiddle” teacher. Can find violin but tried that and it didn’t seem to move me along any. So I’m pretty much self-taught with online resources.  I joined BGD as a lifetime member a few months back. Still poking around the site.  Thanks for your help.

Mary

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Hi Mary,

you can find the double stop exercises in the General Help forum in the arpeggios thread.

For the scales I think you go to Jam Tracks, then Scales (Modal)

Dave

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Kenny,

I’m happy I could be of some small help in your fiddle journey.

I enjoy attempting to communicate ideas that will assist someone in their goals. It’s quite a challenge for someone with my limited knowledge of both music and education practices.

Dave

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Mary,

I also go to the scales by clicking under the blue fiddle icon  at the top of the page.

1. Start for Free
    2. Then go to Step Two :Learn to read Fiddle Tablature .
    3.  Scroll down till you find the Seven Major Scales lessons.

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/forums/topic/arpeggios/page/4/#post-72182

You may have to go back a page or two the double stops.

Kenny
    Kenny
    Participant

Dave,

You have great musical knowledge.  Thanks for sharing.  You triggered a starting point around chords, arpeggios, and slides that I was missing.  Time will tell if I put this information to good use.

lukidog
    Participant

thanks, Kenny. I found it – lots of info I didn’t know was there!

Mary

lukidog
    Participant

Thanks for the help, Dave. I’ve got to get started on Arpeggios, this will help!

Mary

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.