Dare i say it, or even think it…

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Dare i say it, or even think it…

This topic contains 35 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 5 days ago.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Uh-oh…I got in trouble with Scott for having dramatic titles in my posts once before.  Well, but this is sorta a drama for me…lol.  Over the last two or three years…I’ve played 99 per cent on the Presonus only…I mean…I go nowhere with instruments (jams far away, expensive, traffic, don’t like the setup or the music they play, etc.), never practice or just play…it’s presonus…or nothing.  A big deal with lots of instruments or nothing.  All or nothing.  Well here recently in the past couple of weeks I’ve scrambled down to neglect my duties and stuff to cram in time, only to put out either sloppy youtubes or mess things up so bad I just work at them, wasting time, then delete them in frustration.  Yesterday and this morning i just wasted a buncha time trying to get Long Black Veil to sound good…ugh, the fiddle part I left open, to put a fiddle break in…I tried it 50 times…not kidding… in various tunings, even on the viola several times…it really sounds BAD!  Another wasted effort, another deletion when I’ve got all kinds of stuff waiting for me to get done, that’s just not getting done.  So…dare i think it?  Is it time for a Presonus break?  Do I need to focus on work in front of me…people…dogs, dirty dishes and muffins…stuff like that…do I need to try to grab an evening here and there and learn, practice, practice, and maybe even practice?  Dare I try?  Because, as I said to Mike when I ran up to fill up my coffee…Presonus is a sickness with me…it’s taking too much of my time…I love it…but I’ve over stretched my time and play stuff i don’t even know how to play on there.  I mean…after trying the fiddle so many times on Long Black Veil, I found myself scrambling to just cover up the ugliness with banjo licks, guitar licks…etc., lol…just way too many licks going in all directions at once to try to cover the horrible fiddling in there.  That’s it…time to back off, cool it, take a break…practice…the question is…CAN I?  Is there a Presonus Anonymous group anywhere around?  LOL…not sure i can resist, but I think it’s time to try.  Let’s see how I do.  Maybe I can learn some new stuff.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I can only do the lessons on here late at night, just two or three nights a week…but there’s so many I need to get back to.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I told this to my family this afternoon…it took a while for the laughter to die down…lol.  I’m serious though…I do need a break…I’ve dogged myself to death…driving myself relentlessly for I have no idea what reason…I need to be more present and get my mind off of Presonus for a while.  Let’s see if I can…maybe I should take up chocolate again!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I figured up a schedule…1st Friday of the month is me and my Presonus…other than that…I’m being present where I am and what I’m doing.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Just go to bed with your fiddle and wake up with it keep it going all day every day , forget about everything else ! Ha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…well that’s been the problem with the Presonus!  I’m thinking to go back to the old BG jam I went to when i was with the BG band…except, the traffic getting there is horrible…then, I didn’t really have much fun playing there…but I think it’d be nice to play music with some other humans, not just the machine with only me in there.  I went to the local dulcimer club once…they said on the internet you can play any insturment with them…well…they gave me a book when I walked in…I told them I’d just play by ear, and they were like…oh no, you go inthe back with a tutor and learn to read this music…we all play the same notes…I turned around and went on back home…that sounded awful to me…lol.  Didn’t sound like fun.  I tried the one and only Old Time jam here before and that got really expensive plus just wasn’t fun either…it’s all too formal, expensive, far away, etc.  I really, really miss the days when old friends just got togther…those of us who played just had fun…we didn’t care how good or bad we sounded, we just had a good time.  I think the BG jam mighta been the best one I found here…although it wasn’t really too much fun for me.  They only meet once a month, anyway, so I’ve got time to think about it.  It’s kinda far away and you go through some pretty bad traffic to get there…not crazy about crowds, traffic, etc.  I’m thinking about it though.  Presonus one day per month…BG jam one day per month…and I need to find a way to schedule in some practice time just for the fiddle.  I never practice, which is a bad thing.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, …I’d like to help you Cricket, but I’m still living in the past century.  Today I wrote the date 1918…I still can’t get used to the 2 at beginning of the century.  I can’t even find time to get around to procrastinating.  I’m not even sure if time is going forward or backward.  And when I practice I don’t know if I’m practicing learning or un-learning!  Otherwords, practicing playing good or learning to play bad…But I can’t get on here and ask for help…they haven’t written the book on me yet, and who knows it might be contagious whatever I’ve got.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…that’s pretty bad.  Well, I guess there was a lot of good and bad both in 1918.  Well anyway, I focus too much on Presonus…I gotta cut back and remember about all the other things I don’t wanna be rushing through or missing out on.  I rush through the Presonus stuff too…because I’m just into rushing through one thing or another to make time to rush through Presonus, etc., etc., etc., until I turn around and see the trail of disasters behind me and in front of me both…lol.  Gotta get my head back on straight.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

What??? No break for you, Cricket! You must keep turning out these great tunes!!!

Actually I wish I could have seen your family’s faces when you told them you were considering cutting back. They know how obsessed you are! I guess you need to decide when a creative outlet becomse and unhealthy obsession, but I don’t think you are there yet!

Rodger, I don’t think we want to go back to 1918! We were busy fighting the Germans and the Spanish Flu that year. On the bright side; Eddie Arnold was born!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…always a bright side!  Well I am cutting down to one day a month on the Presonus…if I can stop thinking about it long enough.  A lot going on around here with holidays coming up and grandson busy earning his paycheck at the theater.  They’re shooting for tv commercials today and the first preview showing is Sunday…we can’t afford tickets to any performance (they run from 60 to over 100 per seat), but I’m gonna be hanging around on preview nights because daughter says if they have open seats some ushers will sometimes let relatives in.  She got us a free ticket for later in the season, so we’ll get to really go one time.  Anyway…you know…holidays, dogs needing a bath, etc., I just need to be more into my surroundings.  Mike thinks it all built up in me from having wanted to be a musician my whole life…got a chance to pretend…then went nuts…lol.  One day a month…see if I can do it…we’ll see.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…I thought about this and Mike reminded me I could go nuts if I don’t play enough…so…Presonus two Fridays a month…not every single time I get a few minutes to myself, which causes me to rush and slop through stuff so I can get to the presonus to rush and slop through that, etc…..no, no, no…changing all that to two scheduled Fridays per month…only…with the exception of any sort of special projects that might involve other people.  As to the Bluegrass Jam…I’m still considering the many pros and cons…one huge factor is that it’s a big, frustrating trip and I don’t enjoy myself as much as I would like…but…well, where else am I gonna find humans with instruments?  lol…still thinking that one through.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Cricket, I agree with Mike — you would go nuts without a musical outlet. And we really enjoy the music you create!

Wow, that is a big-time production that your grandson is in. How exciting!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

He bought this car with his first paycheck…lol.  Just like everybody does…get a job, then get yourself a car!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I might go back to Presonus on Fridays, if time allows…that’s up from once per month to 4 x per month…lol…but no other times allowed…just three or four hours on Fridays, unless too much stuff is going on.  Still not sure about going back to the jam.  The last several trips I just remember one exit ramp, going from one interstate to the other…it’s a long grade and bumper to bumper for about 15 mintues…to where you cannot take your foot off the clutch that whole time or you’ll roll back into the car behind you…and traffic creeps very slowly up that ramp to enter into the next interstate…gives you a leg ache to hold in the clutch for so long…gotta be careful not to slip the clutch too..I mean, you go less than 5 miles per hour all the way along that ramp and until you finally get going on the next interstate…all that hassle to get to somewhere where it’s up for grabs if you’ll have fun with ONE tune or just not enjoy any of them at all…lol.  Not sure about that deal.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

I can understand you trying to get your “Presonus obsession, “ under control, Cricket…

I was obsessed, during my first year of learning to play, with picking up a new tune, every week… This year, I have cut way back, on that…to focus on just trying to play better….better Bowing, better intonation, better left hand fingering…and maybe just one new tune, a month…

I feel like this change, has me playing better…I am really happier, with my Fiddling, now…I still print out the Sheet Music, for any tune, that grabs me…but, now, I just tuck it into my folder of tunes to learn, later…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Ed.  I know you are playing better and better, too.  Back in about 2006 I went out there to see Dwight Diller, the absolute greatest clawhammer old time banjo player, out there in West Virginia, to try to absorb anything musical I could from him after having had email conversations with him for a few years before.  He told me I was “desperate” to be playing music…lol.  I thought he got that one right…it seems an act of desperation.  Wondering if this occurs in people who are late in learning…I mean, I did pick up guitar when I was 10, but old time and specifically old time fiddling is what “resonates” with me (another Dwight Diller word…lol, but can’t think of another way to say it), and I was 55 before I got started with that.  Now, 10 years later…trying to wrangle that desperation and turn it into just easy going fun…practice and improvement need to fit into that mix too, of course.  By the way, Dwight considers himself an inferior fiddler, but I really learned a lot about fiddling from him, not just from his fiddling, but from his banjo playing… oddly enough.  Anyway, yeah, once you get a little bit of fiddling underway, time to back off and go easier!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Good luck, Cricket. I kinda know what you’re going through with the recording addiction. I’ve been there, done that and got a T shirt.

I wore myself thin experimenting with all of the songs I’d created over the years. I would try all kinds of different things to each one and it really got to the point where I spent most of my “free” time in the studio while everything else just went flying by.

Moderation must be kinda rough when you’re as creative as you are.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

So great to have you back, Fred.  How are you feeling?  Well, wise words…only I was thinking it must be difficult for someone as musically gifted as yourself!  In my own world, I guess now i’m slopping through every chance I get on the Presonus, never getting it off my mind…I mean…I dream about recording…then slopping through all the things I’m neglecting while slopping through Presonus …etc.  Our new little doggie, Taffy, gazed into my eyes the other day, like…’Why, Mommy?”  I’m not being a focused person these days.  Well I decided to go back to plan 1…which was one day per week, Friday, unless something else is going on.  Everybody is still laughing at my little crisis, especially how it ended up back to square one again…lol.  Oh gosh, it just makes me crazy.  But I’m putting the brakes on…one day, Friday only…if I can’t get to it, stop thinking about it…look my doggies in the eye, be attentive to my family, my chores and other interests…Presonus on Fridays only.  Hopefully the humor from this crisis will soon die down…lol.  But good to know I’m not the only one who has struggled with such things!

I’m so glad you’re back on board and hoping you are getting your health back again stronger than ever.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I’m doing pretty good, Cricket. All things considered. I’ve got to go back to the doctor’s this morning and have a jp drain removed early because it malfunctioned. My fever has gone down and the chills have left so far. I probably should have remained in the hospital for another day or two but I like my home.

Can’t wait ’til I can lift a fiddle and saw out a few tunes. Not long, now.

Plan 1 sounds like the best plan for you and your Presonus for now. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Take care of yourself, Fred.  Hope it’s all much better soon and I’d love seeing the post where you are jamming with your jamming friends again.

Well I orginally started with one day a week on the Presonus…so, it should be pretty straightforward to go back…it’s just like chocolate…you can limit it to a reasonable amount, but stuff just gets outta control before you know it…lol.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I actually played my fiddle today!

Before I left for the hospital I knew I wouldn’t be able to lift anything heavy (more than 10 pounds) so I took my double fiddle case and placed it at waist height on a piece of furniture so that all I had to do was unzip the case, place the shoulder rest on one of the fiddles, pick out a bow, lift the fiddle and play a tune!

I don’t know why, but the first tune I played was “Red-Haired Boy”.

I hard-boiled some eggs and had thirteen minutes with nothing to do. I can’t handle 13 minutes doing nothing, so I played the fiddle while the eggs boiled.

It felt great!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yay!  I betcha that was some of the funnest fiddling you’ve ever done!  Just the happiness of being back to it.  You sound like me…waiting for the eggs to boil…occupy yourself with something…lol. That’s what gets me on the net and forums so much…waiting for these few minutes, those few minutes…etc. Happy to hear it, Fred!  Now you are REALLY back!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by cricket cricket.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, great to have you back. Sorry to hear about the setback with the drain but I hope everything is in working order now!

Cricket, I got a good laugh out of your son’s first car/paycheck. He is a talented young man! Definitely following in your footsteps in that respect!

Ed, I think you were right to change your focus. Your playings is really improving!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well guys it’s a snowy day here…I got some work done around here and found myself with some time later this afternoon.  My first thought…run down to that presonus…but…then I thought…grandson just had one matinee today, then the rest of the evening off…so…they’re coming over and we will make vitumbua today!  Maybe Gunnar knows about that…at least I think it’s East African…you can use the same pan to make something called ableskivars up toward northern Europe, or some other thing in Japan…anyway, I haven’t made them in forever, and it’s a little tricky.  I’ve got the vitumbua pan …but it’s tricky if you don’t make them much.  It should be fun, although it might just be a big mess…lol.  Still fun.  I think we will make Ho Fun rice noodles today too…fun to work in the kitchen making big messes on a cold snowy day.  Am I bragging about not playing music on a music forum?  lol…well, just slowing down with it, I guess.  I will run down there and record something later.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I need to try vitumba sometime! It’s snowy here as well, we got about an inch, temps in the low teens tonight. Great weather for fiddling (and recording), Cricket!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cricket, I haven’t heard of that dish, but I’m not a cook, and I don’t actually know much about exotic food (we always are dreaming of chick-fil-a) I actually have a presonus know that I think about it, but it doesn’t get used cuz it’s a hassle to set up, I haven’t been playing any electric instruments for a while, and we only have solar electricity, which means we use it sparingly. I think maybe the cure for your obsession, Cricket, might be to go off grid 😆 anyway, I’m somewhat envious of y’all’s cold weather, cuz it was 96 degrees yesterday. That is uncommonly hot for where we live. But, I should (LORD willing) be in the states in a few weeks so I’ll be able to freeze there  😀

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ha ha…well I hope you enjoy freezing when you get over here, Gunnar!   It’s probably really gonna feel cold after 96 degrees.  I think the Vitumbua is from way up north in East Africa…you’re probably too far south, I’m guessing.  But we also use the pan to make other things from other places around the world…I’m not sure where-all they use it with spices in veggies, or I think shrimp and veggies in Japan, apples in the Netherlands…etc.  It’s just fun.  I bought one because I developed an allergy to wheat when we were vegans for 12 years…I used to always make sourdough breads, used to grind up our own wheat…make everything from wild yeast, etc.  I always did that…sometimes steamed the bread in old coffee cans on top of our woodstove down in SE KY…but after the wheat thing hit me hard, and I had to quit eating all wheat (plus no rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, etc.), I turned to rice….which makes terrible bread products.  I had known lots of people from various parts of the world from having worked in different educational institutions…and figured a lot of creative and fun things could work out with rice instead of wheat.  So…the vitumbua pan is one of my toys in the kitchen.  I have other pans and gadgets from other countries too…that use rice to make all sorts of cool things…I even tried to grow rice here in our little tiny yard…it actually grew really well…but getting it out of the husk, polishing it, etc., whew…now that’s a lot harder work than wheat.  We grew wheat and oats before and getting rice out is a lot more work!  Anyway, I didn’t record, but just trying to spend a little more time with family.  Like unscheduled, off-the-cuff fun stuff.

I’d love to get off grid with solar, but I’d want it to be pretty consistent, especially with my presonus habit…lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sounds yummy! We have very limited solar potential here, lots of hills, fog, and clouds. However, the wind potential is off the charts! I have friends powered by wind and I would like to put a generator here at some point if I could find a cheap one.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

yeah, we also have a wind mill generator to augment our solar. It helps a lot in keeping our system alive at night. 

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I heard of a town in WV where they got sick of all the pollution and destruction from mountaintop removal, and made their whole town a big wind generating town instead of a coal town.  They employ as many or more people, it’s clean, they still have their hills and clean water, etc.  No more black lung.  That’s the way to go!  I wish the whole country would just switch to something that makes more sense.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Ugly, noisy, bird killers, but still better than burning coal!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I grew up with a coal stove, and they are “Hot”….

John Cockman
    Keymaster

We used to gather coal that fell off the train and threw small amounts into the stove with the wood. It was VERY hot!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, ugliness is subjective, the noise isn’t bad (it sounds like full batteries) and ours hasn’t ever damaged any bird (afaik)  it has killed a few bats, good riddance, and there’s a beehive in it (annoying). They work well, and should be more widespread.

P.S. I apologize if my opinion comes across as insensitive or barbaric, living in Africa can make people rather utilitarian

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah we used coal too…we had to put it on top of green wood to keep from burning out our stove.  Then open the windows…lol.  It’s pretty dirty too…all over the walls, etc.  Not clean…I hate to think of having inhaled all of that.

Anyway, from what I’ve reaad about the windmills…I don’t know about ugliness, but think of the big tangle of posts, wires, all tht garbage all over above us anywhere there’s electricity now.  But besides that, i have read that any migration map or regular feeding and nesting maps will prevent most bird accidents.  I don’t really know for sure.  But, over the river in Cincinnati, they have one of the most sustainable zoos in the world, weird, because Cincinnati is one of the dirtiest cities in the U.S., but the zoo has solar panels over all the parking areas…it’s cloudy most of the winter but they still get power, and they have a wind mill up in one area, but it doesn’t have blades…it has some cylinder that moves around…no blades…maybe it’s a bird friendly model or something.  I don’t know.  We buy passes and support that zoo because they do a lot for education of sustainability and caring for nature, animals, etc.  I wish more of our country would take interst.  Here around us we’ve lost all ash trees to an invasive species, and down where we used to live they’re losing all the scrub pines…now there’s a new invasive species going after other hardwoods.  I don’t know if people stop to realize without trees…biology of the earth will be vastly different.  We might not fit in much longer…lol.  Probably a good thing for the planet, but not for us.  Not for a lot of current inhabitants we share it with.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Like I said, still better than coal! I do like the idea of offshore wind, even though it’s expensive, but I don’t think I’d like to see small wind at everyone’s house. For indivual systems I like solar thermal and PV.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in