Devil Comes Back to Georgia

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Devil Comes Back to Georgia

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by fiddlewood fiddlewood 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

fkuhl159
    Participant

I have recently been trying to figure out how to play the fiddle breaks in the Devil Comes Back to Georgia.  If anyone hasn’t hear the sequel to the Original Charlie Daniels classic, it is well worth a listen.    The first couple breaks are easy enough when you break them down and seems like if you focus on basic rhythm techniques they are easier than they sound when he plays it at the speed of lightning.   I can’t for the life of me figure out what he is doing in the last break.   Does anyone know what he is doing with the quick string changes and does anyone know what that type of ornamentation or bowing is called?  I would like to practice it to be able to play the break but I don’t even know where to begin.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

The lesson is here at blue grass daddy !

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/the-devil-went-down-to-georgia-fiddle-lesson/

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

different songs/breaks Steve…

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Sounds to me like the last break is simply “double-time” on the majority of notes.

I do hear a shuffle with one high note and 3 drone notes in it with the high note descending one more note down the scale each time it’s played.

I played a similar lick (shuffle-wise) at about 1:46 on the tune linked below. I’m ascending on each high note though instead of descending.

hope this helps some…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Dave, that is very close to what is going on. It’s sort of a triple-double-shuffle starting on the higher note. Mark is not playing a clear pattern though.

Frank, click on the image of the music I uploaded below the video. It should at least get you started!

fkuhl159
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the help guys.   I’ve been working on this for a while now.  Wow-Sequel 1 looks to be even harder than I initially thought!!

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hope to hear you play it someday!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, put it on the Lion’s Den for us when you’re ready.  Nice playing on your video example, Dave.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Sounding real good, Dave. Thanks for posting.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Thanks, I posted this here last year…just thought it might help with the question as I’m playing quite slow, and it can be slowed down even more on youtube.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in