Diet Discussion

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 week ago.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi: I would love to lose weight but I don’t seem to have any willpower.

Let the discussion begin………………… :)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…ok.  I lost some weight, finally.  You know how…lol.  There used to be a long topic here with tons of posts…something like “Boot Camp” or something…can’t remember now.  Talking about taking steps to try to take care of themselves, etc.  Fiddlers do need such discussion.  Sorry I did that thing to your FFFFF thread with my constant babbling I tend to do.  It gets me that I used to eat more than anybody I ever saw and stayed pretty thin…but I’m suspecting I always had some degree of celiac and didn’t really digest what I was a-piggin’ out on.  When we went vegan, our diet suddenly added a lot more gluten to it, just by the nature of a plant-based diet…lots of pasta, noodles, breads (I used to always make bread and make the yeast myself too), vegan meat substitutes that were wheat based, etc.  It caught up with me and made me so sick I had a really tough time getting through the work day for a few years.  Then I quit gluten and started gaining weight for the first time ever.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by cricket cricket.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket/Peggy , Please Diet talk away , You know when I feed out steers or pork it’s all Corn /Grain’s ! So what’s up ?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…they are all grain fed I guess.  We used to let our cows pasture and grow hay for the winter.  This last time we had goats, living up here, we have a small yard, you know, so it didn’t take them long to eat the Virginia Creeper off the fence and the Rose of Sharon and bottom layers of box elders and stuff, so we used to get on down the hill by the creek and cut bamboo and other vegetation for them…besides hay in the winter…which we had to buy.  We gave the milk goat a small amount of commercial feed…gave them all some alfalfa cookies and sunflower seeds.  The grains do make the animals fat, so … I’ve lost weight without grains…lol…maybe they make humans too fat too.  I remember reading somewhere that the only animals truly equipped to eat and thrive on grains would be birds.  True or not, I don’t claim to know.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Fred, we can’t get in the mood to talk dieting until you write us a fiddle song about that!!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Rodger, it’ll have to be a “Breakdown” ! lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Starvation Breakdown in A!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe this is a good place for this:  I had to make an emergency batch of pickles today…yeah, it was an emergency.  I know the last time I looked at those cucumbers they weren’t any bigger than a squirrel’s ear, and then went back there to water them today and blam…it was jsut like those viral cat videos where people shock their cats with a cucumber…I mean I jumped like a viral cat video with the shock of seeing how they’ve grown in the past few days.  To me, there is no good use for a cucumber besides persuading it into the pickle inclination…they taste so awful on their own…lol.  Maybe the problem was I normally plant pickling cucmbers only…this year I decided I’d be too busy to mess with pickles and didn’t plant any.  But somehow I ended up with somebody giving me cucumber plants…the kind I never grow…and wow…those things turned into beasts real quick.  More pickle-makin’ is in my immediate future too, I’m afraid.  I always thought cucumbers tasted like unripe watermelon.  They smell exactly like copperheads.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well, there’s already the “Dill Pickle Rag” so I’m at a loss for what to name the diet fiddle tune. Good luck with your cukes.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…true.  I had no dill on hand, though, since I hadn’t planned on pickles this year, didn’t plant any dill, and just don’t keep the stuf around if I ain’t making pickles.  So…well…I think we’re gonna have to come up with another pickle rag, Fred.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Hey, this probably is on topic, Cricket, what peanut butter do you use? You’ve said you use it, and I believe all store bought peanut butter has sugar in it. Do you make your own?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

The Diet Dill Pickle Two Step?  Fred you mentioned ‘will power’.  I’ve heard it explained by Tim Keller, that the Western way of thought,  is to attack a bad habit by the use of ‘Will Power’.  Stare it down and beat it, strangle it…etc.   But the older mentality is to….’replace’ a bad thing with something better, as opposed to fighting it.  So, when I attacked my Pepsi addiction, instead of driving by the 7/11 (on my way home from town)  with a steely grip on the steering wheel & sweat running down my elbows.  I’d go and buy something that I really liked (always expensive) and healthy for me to replace the Pepsi.   I am now a Pepsi Free person, although I will forever be a Pepsiholic.  And about twice a year I drink one as a memorial to my past, and although I love it, I  marvel as to how I poured such sugary mud down my throat for so long.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Rodger, I like the solution you suggest.  I used this when I was young to beat alcohol (haven’t had a drink in 34 years and counting) and cigarettes (32 years and counting). Right now I’d have to say my biggest problem (other than will power itself) is too big a portion and bread and sugar in general. Every time I give up on sugar and bread I hurt my eardrums listening to the fat hit the floor.

I used to think it was the dryer that was shrinking my clothes but I’ve since learned it’s the refrigerator!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gunnar, we are so glad we have a Costco near us now…well, realtively near us, close enough that we can get out there pretty easily every couple of weeks.  The Costco housebrand peanut butter we buy (Kirkland) has only organic peanuts and salt.  I have made my own but it’s so much easier to buy it at Costco, where it’s affordable.  We can get grass-fed beef there cheaper than anywhere else, and lots of other higher quality food items there.  If I didn’t have Costco, I couldn’t afford the peanut butter, probably.  Not sure what I’d do…either go without or back to making my own again…lol.  Rodger…I used to be a Coke-aholic and gave it up when we went vegan, except for a few in the hot days of summer.  But now on this here diet I’ve been following I’ve been scared to have anything sweet or even artificially sweetened (other than the approved/ monosaccharide: honey)…out of fear of messing up my efforts.  So…I’ve still got a half a case of Mexican cane sugar Cokes in the cupboard, bought probably 10 years ago from Costco…wondering if I should just give it to someone?

Fred, my husband smoked 4 packs a day…cigarettes were only 20 cents a pack or so where we lived in this state…he tried to quit so many times and when we moved up here we got a gift of a pass to Kings Island amusement park…we hadn’t really been on such crazy rides and thrilling roller coasters, etc., and our daughter was only 10, so we went almost every night after work.  Anyway, he got on this crazy upsidedown roller coaster every night (he and daughter…I didn’t wanna get on that big thing) and it took away his nicotine cravings…weirdly…I mean it was such a rush for him he said it replaced his nicotine…so that summer he got off cigarettes…1989.  He used to drink moonshine or whatever bootleggers had for him down in the southern part of the state, dry county you know…and when moved up here where they sell beer and liquor everywhere, which just made him worse.  Once my insurance added substance abuse treatment (my job was the first and only source of insurance we could ever get ahold of) , he went into the hospital and got off alcohol…that’s been almost twenty years ago, I think, maybe longer, can’t remember for sure by now.  So now it’s just dealing with sugary stuff and starches, which we’ve recently learned are the same as candy…grains are the same as candy when we eat them…they peak out glucose, insulin, and the high insulin you get from grains causes inflammation and general bad stuff, including extra weight and extra hunger, etc.  Not to mention the intestinal misery it can cause.  I wish I’d have learned all of this earlier, but I went the opposite direction, high starch, low fat vegan, which I believe is what destroyed my gut and kicked up the celiac thing…who knows, though?  I think so anyway.    There is a preacher on youtube, an African missionary…well he’s not African, but he goes there a lot…he tells all of this as to what happened to him.  Interesting stuff.  Gunnar maybe you know of him…Dennis Pollock, I think is how he spells it.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I read the other day that Costco is putting a real pressure on the big clothing stores like Walmart and TJ Maxx, etc. with the sale of clothing. I think that’s great.

Good for you and Mike with your diets and abstinence. Way to go!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cricket, I haven’t heard of him. I was curious about your peanut butter because another missionary here had started making peanut butter, and teaching locals to do it for cultural upliftment, but then she left and the locals didn’t keep making it (they were colonized by the Portuguese, who successfully killed any entrepreneurial ideology) and we had been only eating her peanut butter, which was just peanuts and a little oil, so when we started eating store bought stuff I couldn’t stand the taste of it; too much chemical flavor, like pesticides. I’ve gotten mostly used to it again, but I really liked that homemade stuff.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s been such a long time since I made homemade peanut butter, I might prefer the taste over the Costco brand if I had it to compare.  Too bad your peanut butter source left the country, Gunnar.  Peanut butter has always been one of my favorite things since I was little bitty.

Fred, yes Costco has lots of clothes.  I’m not crazy about the clothes they have, myself (I just wear jeans mainly…lol…and I don’t care for theirs), but I’ve gotten really great shoes there for cheap.  Our daughter buys grandson’s jammies there because it’s the only affordable place to buy children’s jammies that aren’t treated with chemicals … the anti-fire chemicals they put into all of them.  She think those chemicals aren’t healthy for kids.  You buy that kind anywhere else you’re gonna pay two or three times the price.  Back probably 12 years ago we got us a really heavy duty starionary bike there…I think we looked it up online and saw a Costco savings of around 500 bucks…so…we got it while we could.  We try to get a little bit of exercise with that when we can, over the years…and it just seems to be indestructible.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok, this might be off topic, but Great Scott hasn’t been around and Cricket started the thread anyway…. anyone notice how hard it is to find new jeans that aren’t “factory distressed?” Walking through malls (something I avoid like the plague) you can’t find a single store that sells jeans that aren’t damaged. Bunch of b-stock shops 😂 anyway, I just think if I want ripped jeans I’ll just fall off a motorcycle, lol. Let’s see, oh Cricket said jeans that’s why I’m ranting 🙄🙄 and actually I just realized Fred started this topic, so maybe I should stop talking and go to bed😂😂🙄

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…gosh Great Scott’s gonna go nuts if he comes back when this thread is still active…lol.  Well, yeah, Mike and I both only wear jeans, just about always have just worn jeans, i guess because we belong to the baby boomer hippie generation or something…but we used to find them easy enough, but these days they’re all weird…like you said, either ripped up or all beat up, or even worse, made so that…how can I put this…???  There’s no polite way, they’re made to show the top of your bum…lol.  That’s just so weird…very popular around here…women don’t usually wear that kind, but instead wear hip huggers…we just want normal ordinary jeans and they are getting harder and harder to find.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah, fashion is terribly impractical, usually hideous, and quite frequently immodest. I suspect Hollywood is to blame, at least partially. I mostly wear normal gym shorts, cuz they’re comfortable and convenient, but I occasionally wear jeans and it’s hard to find them. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled broadcast, I’m on a seefood diet; what food I see, that I eat. Unless it’s salad, that’s rabbit food 😂😂 I can’t stand eating lettuce 🤮

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…lettuce is more exciting for rabbits than people.  It’s better if you grow all kinds of your own and then make your own salad dressing.  Strangely enough, to keep the topic sort of consistent, I gotta tell you I make my salad dressing based on………………………peanut butter!  Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, whatever spices-ginger, garlic, pepper, etc.,- honey, and peanut butter…whip it all up until it emulsifies and it’s pretty good on a salad.  When I don’t make it with peanut butter I usually do about the same thing but use mustard…uh-oh…is mustard on or off topic?????

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’m not supposed to have lettuce, nuts or seeds, broccoli and a host of other foodstuffs that might cause trouble in my colon, so a good old fashioned salad with any kind of lettuce is off the list of approved foods.

I’ve always found it easier to lose weight when I could include lettuce but now after all my surgeries it’s out of the question. So my diet has to be different nowadays. Just have to be more selective and still need the willpower. lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah that’s hard.  I remember you saying that a while back.  I’ve never been big on salad, preferring cooked veggies to raw, but we are eating them these days for the diet we’re now on.  One good thing about salads is you can grow all kinds of lettuce pretty quick…now mine are going to seed, which always makes me happy because I grow heirlooms and can use the seed for a long time to come.   But I’d rather have a big ol’ plate of cooked greens, green beans…cornbread (that one’s off our list now)…can you eat cornbread, Fred?  One way I have come to makin’ it living up here is to buy popcorn, grind it into meal…sift it because you can’t get it all ground up and have little nubs left, then proceed with the cornbread-making…the popcorn makes it taste just like freshly milled corn meal/grist…tastes really good in cornbread.  But I’m not eating any grains, so…that one’s off the list.  That was hard to get used to…lol.  I love beans and cornbread and collard greens…great meal.  These days the collard greens are still on the table, but not really the beans and cornbread…more like meat and whatever veggies…squashes, etc.  I can’t eat tomatoes because it seems I got to be allergic to them…so…that’s lousy since I grow several types of heirloom tomatoes…lol.  I got pickles, though…so there ya go. Pickles…lol…for whatever they’re worth.

Angela
    Participant

Well my BP became my willpower last year. I’ve had success with this diet: https://www.pritikin.com/healthiest-diet/pritikin-eating-plan

‘I’ve done a pretty good job of cutting out a lot of fat, sugar, and sodium.

‘This diet is working because I can concentrate and buy the allowable foods and I don’t focus on the unallowed.

I buy the no sugar/no salt added peanut butter. It’s more expensive than regular pb. But it’s cheaper than a heart attack (my new mantra).

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ooh, cornbread and beans is a good meal. I would probably die if I had food allergies

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…it ain’t much fun.  Feeling good is better than eating good, though, I always say.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Beans and cornbread are tolerated and I have them once in a while. I absolutely love them. I crumple up the cornbread in with the beans.

Angela, Ill have a look at the diet you posted.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Pritikin was the inspiration for the low fat vegans i used to follow…they took it a step further and deleted out the low fat dairy and low fat meats.  Seems lots of people with blood pressure said it helped them, and not really that hard to follow.  Now we’re opposite…lol …high fat, moderate meat, etc….it’s weird how there’s this see-saw of diet…crazy, ain’t it.  Glad it’s helping you, Angela.  I read that book a long time ago…The Man who Healed America’s Heart, i believe it was called…all about Nathan Pritikin…he was a smart dude.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Been thinking about this, plus the Wampler Sausage song that another thread got me thinking about…lol.  But, here’s my understanding of these diets by this point…it seems the issue is that if a person has both glucose and fat running around in their digestive tract, they run into various situations.  So…the low fat vegans are fueling their bodies with glucose.  The opposite side, the keto, other extreme, are fueling their bodies with fat.  Most people’s diets fall somewhere in between.  Glucose plus fat will usually make people overweight, sooner or later, and will also increase a person’s background insulin, made by their own pancreas, which will increase hunger, weight gain, inflammation, and all sorts of problems…according to my cricket understanding.  So…pick your poison, or throw away the poison of your choice: fat or glucose.  When we were low fat vegans for 12 years, I didn’t know the keto side of this, just the vegan side.  It made sense and we liked eating that way.  But when the celiac thing made itself known, I saw that my regular low fat vegan diet wasn’t gonna be much fun anymore…so i dropped gluten and just ate regular food, feeling very deprived since we about lived on gluten stuff, breads, pastas, stuff like that was our major source of foods.  About that time I ran across a very interesting book, written about food, but by a physicist…Gary Taubes…the vegans didn’t like him and really didn’t wanna hear his name mentioned…lol.  But I read it anyway…wow…I never saw a book with so many references…usually I read the reference material in any book I read, but this got to be a very big job to keep up with…having worked in an academic library, I had free access to databases and stuff and checking refernces was pretty easy, but Taubes just had too many.  But I then got the idea, or learned if I’m correct, that you want either fat or glucose running through your body, but not both.  The glucose, of course, would be grains and starchy stuff like taters.  Fat is fat, of course, whether it’s olive oil or lard…so …anyhow that’s my understanding of the big dietary see-saw.  You choose yer poison…we aren’t glucose -free…not by any means, but we are consuming the fat…grain free, but I’m eating honey because I just want something sweet.  Yet, even this amount of glucose seems to be allowing us weight loss…so…I try to keep the honey and dates and fruits and stuff in check,  but I’ll admit I do have a sweet tooth.  Being a low fat vegan was easy for me because of that, but got too hard on the gluten free level.  I should add that Taubes and the low fat vegans are both controversial ideas…nobody seems to really know for sure.  That’s why some people call nutrition a pseudo science…no real answers there.  We’re all on our own, I guess.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks Angela and Cricket. Very informative.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

And Great Scott IS back!

Go for it guys!  This is after all the “WEIOYM” thread where you talk about whatever you want; and a topic on health is always a good topic.  If I could I would merge this thread with the ones in the “Boot Camp / Health ” forum but I fear if I try that I may lose this thread.

The only forums where it is asked that you try to stay on topic are the Educational forums, like Strings and Things, General Help, The Lion’s Den (as a general courtesy to the performer who makes the post), and Composer’s Corner.  The “WEIOYM” forum is a free-for all to let your hair down.

Hope y’all have been keeping well.  :)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hello, Scott!  I remember the long, long Boot Camp thread!  Good to see you back again.  Fortunately, I’m staying on topic.  I still miss Rock…lol…hope he’s ok too, although I wouldn’t expect him to stay on topic much.  Thanks for explaining the idea so that I can try to grasp it clearly, which I obviously have not done before.

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Fred, will power is the key.  Replacing a bad thing with a good thing is a great start.  A lot of people’s addictions are actually caused by association.  A particular time of day; a particular location or activity; all these things that we have done and where food or substance has been used while doing them or being in a particular situation.  The trick is to BREAK that association.  Once done, we can then begin looking at eating healthy.  I loathe the word “Diet”.  I prefer to use the term “eating healthy”.  I must also mention here that eating healthy should be accompanied with a healthy lifestyle and lots of exercise to tone and strengthen muscles, (low-impact exercise for older people), and plenty of aerobic exercise to help heart and lungs and general blood flow.

I am a total vegan and live on under $2 per day for food.  Small bowl of raw oats with raisins and topped with fruit juice for breakfast; sometimes no lunch but sometimes beans.  Mostly Asian style food for supper — lots of fresh vegetables and rice.  Our temple often gives rice for free.  No meat or dairy.  30 or 31 inch waist.

I saw my Doctor yesterday; and he was very impressed.  He said I had lived past the 2 weeks that he gave me to live one month ago.  Said I should die either tomorrow or the few days after.  :)

Great Scott
    Great Scott

That’s fine, Cricket.

Keeping on track in those other forums helps streamline them to make them easy to navigate for people who are searching for a particular topic and answer to a question they may have, without having to rifle through a lot of no-related posts.  Thanks for understanding.

Eddie
    Participant

Fred, thanks for starting and sorry for posting questions about it on your thread.

Cricket, it’s a fascinating topic that I definitely need to be focused on. I am in the struggling to get through the day stage currently and in desperate need of a change in diet.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Eddie, sorry to hear of your struggles…been there…not fun.  I don’t know what kinds of struggles you’re dealing with, but sometimes changing our diets, if we can find the right one, really helps a lot.  Let me know if you have any questions about the scd…I might have an answer…not sure but I could.  Good luck getting your health under control and empowering yourself with dietary information that’s helpful.

Scott…I get it.  Mike tells me I write way too much for message forums…I know I do…one thing just reminds me of another, then another…and well, being the hermit I am…lol…it just cascades…but I’m trying to learn to just stop writing everything I think…lol.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.