Digital addiction…

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Mike told me as we were rushing through breakfast and coffee we should discuss digital addiction…I was like…”Not now, I’m trying to catch up on my message forums!”  Ooops!🙊

Angela
    Participant

Lol. Hmmm. I have a fiddle addiction. The internet is just an enabler

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Cricket ,Yes its true , its got me , I am one , with digital addiction , ha ,,,,,***&%##>? help ! No,yes,no,yes ,somebody !? hopelessly , mine all mine , no problem , I got it under My control , its the Borg , resistance is futile !? I don’t know ? Maybe , can you tell Me ?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Have Mike contact you on the forum & work it out Cricket…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, Angela…you are so right…I’m addicted to Old Time music in general and especially fiddle, and the Internet is right there with me.  Unfortunately…I have less and less time because unexpected stuff is constantly involving me … so…practicing never happens…I just kinda follow what other people do via internet, these days…and I think it’ll be a while before that improves.  See, in the course of this post I’ve been interrupted two times and can’t even keep my train of thought🤔…but, anyway, yes, Steve, I know the feeling.  Rodger, good idea…I’ll text Mike right away…he’s about two foot away, right now so…yes…text should be a great way to discuss this…lol.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Yes, of course,  electronic transmission is the speed of light…much faster than the speed of sound…& you can always correct your spelling mistakes, which you can’t do when you talk..I always horribly misspell my words when I talk..

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Maybe you’re not speaking English…lol.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I don’t live in England…why should I?

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I admit it. I’m hopelessly addicted to music. Fiddle and banjo are the real culprits right now, but throughout the years it’s been one instrument after another. Just can’t get enough of that Sugar Crisp! lol.

I’m also addicted to the BGD site. lol. I don’t want any therapy for either of these addictions, however and am perfectly content dealing with it on my own. Just keep the tunes and chat coming and I’ll be fine………….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger…you’re probably speaking Canadaian at this point.  I’m pretty happy with my addictions…music, talking about music or whatever else, gardening, coffee…lol…yes, it’s a physical addiction.  I was once addicted to jogging, but, well I wish I was now, but I’m afraid if I jogged now I crash my ankles to smithereens or something.  I was rolller skating with grandson Roro on dollar nights in the fall, but just around the new year the rink closed because of frozen pipes and water damage.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I kinda miss the days that I used to roller blade from one town to the next. I had a helmet, knee pads and wrist protectors on and what a blast that all was. When I had my bypass surgery I never went back to it, yet I probably should have. I never dared roller skate for some reason…guess I felt it was too dangerous.

I wonder if I could play the fiddle while roller blading…? nope! forget that idea before I get addicted to it. lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hear ya on that.  I never rollerbladed, but we always had a skating rink near us and I skated as a kid, skated with my daughter as she was growing up…enjoyed it a lot, then when I thought about go8ng back to it again with my grandson, for some reason, the idea scared me to death.  I was terrified of hurting myself.  I never really relaxed until grandson and I got all tangled up in a bad situation and fell all over eac other and a buncha other skaters…lol…I had a lot of trouble remembering how to get back up, but it helped me finally realize falling down wouldn’t kill me.,.lol.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred, I’d like to see that! Fiddling and roller blading! After telling Cricket to stay off the roller skates, now my own 70 year old Mom is planning to go snowboarding with the grandchildren! I am begging her not to do it.

Rodger, don’t you all still speak the Queen’s English up there? Haha and yes, Cricket should definitely suggest some online counselling. 🙂

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Fiddling & roller skating:

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahaha Nancy, cool scene from an awful movie. OK, I’m going to have to try that!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, I guess digital addiction was in full force today as I just watched a live stream on youtube of the the SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch.  Yes, I cried…in many ways this was, in practical terms, one of the most historic moments of human history, as far as technological advances, and now what can come out of it boggles the imagination.  As an experimental launch, it wasn’t even supposed to actually work, in that it was just the first step in development.  Everything in it’s primary objective seems to have performed to perfection.

The only failure was in the final landing phase of the center core recovery attempt on the drone ship.  The news isn’t out yet as to what happened with that.  But that was an experimental salvage attempt of such difficulty that it would have surprised everyone had it worked.

I spent a week with Guy Martin, who is a young fellow that owns and heads up the company that makes the fairing for the SpaceX rocket.  We were in the violin makers workshop in Southern California.  Guy is just a plain, ordinary, really nice guy.  He was making a fiddle back from an old piece of maple that had some special family significance.  I was supposed to keep in touch with him to find out how it all came out, but lost track of him after he sent me some blanks from a piece of special steel for making small knife blades.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Fred there was a man came through town up here some years ago that had roller bladed all the way up from California.  It was a strange experience to talk to this fellow…he was different. He couldn’t even stand still to talk, but kept doing little circles(?)  But that was a roller blade trip!  I don’t want to get started on long distance marathon journeys.  We’ve had em come through on horseback from Alaska going to South America.  A wagon & team of mules from Texas came through here.  A fiddle friend locally here, road his bike to South America.  And I got to know the two fellows that did a 28,000 (yes, no misprint) mile canoe (actually kayak) trip, back in the 80’s when they came through Old Crow and camped there.  Kruger was the old guys name…only fellow I ever knew that had arms like Popeye.  His son in law, left early to meet his wife at Circle, Alaska, and covered over 400 rivers miles in 2 days (24 hr daylight), and the part from Ft. Yukon to Circle was going ‘up river’ against the strong Yukon River current.  The 300 miles on the Porcupine was all downstream. The Yukon river spreads out in numerous channels, & evidently he was able to avoid the main channel current.  The most unbelievable performance of any kind I ever knew of.  But in the several years of paddling it took to do that entire 28,000 miles, the son in law lost his marriage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/12/20/two-mens-master-stroke-the-28000-mile-canoe-trip/8f8e0bd4-b9ba-4325-82c2-b4d1fdd4b050/?utm_term=.ccb9beb334bc

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, well now I’ve seen everything…lol.  What a great skill t9 be able to fiddle like that, and skate like that, and do ‘em both at the same dang time!  And, yes, Elon Musk (sp???) is one cool engineering dude…if I ever get rich, I will drive a Tesla, but on the ground only.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, growing up, the idea of man ever going to the moon was foolish thinking, & I can still hear people making fun of the idea.  It became a cliche, man will never walk on the moon.  I can still hear Grandpap ranting over how a horse (he pronounced horse different than you hear today, in fact every old person had a few words they spoke totally different than you ever hear anywhere else) could plow deeper than a tractor.  I simply could never adjust to the modern world.  Even though I fly airplanes & use computers etc., I simply am in grief mode when I go out on the highways & see firsthand the incredible changes modern progess has made to the world.  Somehow Mom & Dad were able to pass on to me part of themselves, & their families going back hundreds of years.  There was something permanent about the old home places and ways of life that could be passed on to my heart.  I don’t think that’s true anymore in what people live for.  There’s nothing that can be passed on to the next generation.  So I’m separated from my people and home, which has all changed almost beyond recognition, but my heart, mind, thoughts are all back there & back in time.  I guess that makes me more of a crazy person than normal…but what brought this on is how now with these advances it’s really hard not to face up to the changes and admit it’s all over as far as to what we had…& lost….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger…you hit the nail on the head…yes…you expressed my sentiments exactly.  I kinda feel sorry for the current generations, but at the same time, I keep thinking, it’s their world now.  I do go back and hav3 a certain nostalgic resistance…I think the old time music is a Segway to connect worlds.  One reason why I love wa5ching Black and White Andy Griffith epsisodes too…I 3ven had the Aunt that cooked and ran the farm…but it was Aunt Ret insteada Aunt Bee…still, kinda the same character.  When my Aunt Ret would drink ( she only drank coffee, as far as I ever knew), she would take a small sip, then lay her saucer back down and let out a breathy…”ahhhh,” like it was so refreshingly yummy to her…lol.  Us kids would always say she must be @ thirsty person.  Sometimes if I 3ve4 hear s9 ebony drink that way, or catch myself doing that, I smile for Aunt Ret…even my grandson Roro knows how to drink like A7nt Ret…lol.  Why am I think of this aloud on a message forum?  Lol…it’s weird to have a foot in two worlds.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Dad always poured his hot coffee in his saucer and drank out of it too…we thought that’s how it was done, so we did the same thing when we were little…but it’s a lot of work and makes more sense to wait a minute till it cools a little & just drink out of the cup…I think they did that because the coffee out of those big coffee pots in the fireplace was so hot it would really burn the tongue…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I asked my Grandpa why once and he said its boiling hot , pour a little bit in the saucer it cools it !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, I watched the launch as well, and it was pretty moving. My favorite part was probably the “DON’T PANIC” sign on Starman’s dashboard. 🙂

28,000 miles in a canoe… that’s incredible. Real sad about his (ex) son-in-law, though.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

John, if you understand what they did..how difficult the 28,000 mile trip was, how long it took, it just boggles the mind that they would ever even attempt it.  They were the first to go “up” the Colorado river…all the way by canoe…that was impossible.  When Verlin & Steve came through Old Crow, we were living in a wall tent.  He came & visited us, and it was just like we had know each other all our lives.  There’s no one you would want for a better friend than him.  I’ve thought & thought, and I can’t comprehend what it is in a person that inspires them to do such an impossible venture.  But whatever it is, it has something to do with the fact that if a person can find the motivation, the possibilities are far beyond belief.  I would never expect anyone to believe what they did, and I wouldn’t mention it if it wasn’t well documented to prove to others.

In fact here’s another one.  While at Old Crow, Bob Mantell came into the village by dog team, all the way from Anchorage!  He was training/toughening up his dog team for the first unsupported (no resupply) dog team trip to the North Pole.  He was to meet his team leader, Will Steger at Ft. McPherson, who was traveling up all the way from Minnesota training his team.  Bob could never have found his way through the 200 miles of mountain wilderness to Fort McPherson through 5 feet of snow & more.  So he asked me to guide him & break trail for him.  I had a double track Alpine ski-doo that was capable of breaking trail in those conditions.  Well, I can’t tell the story here, but I took Bob part way and got him where he could make it on, and I went back to Old Crow.  Bob ended up getting lost and using up all his dog food and came within a hair’s breath of dying before he retreated back to Old Crow.  We kept him until he got back on his feet and arranged to have him & his team flown over to Ft. McPherson on a twin otter.  Bob told me that if Will made it to the north pole, he already was planning another expedition, unsupported to the South Pole.  Bob made it within a day or so of actually reaching the north pole with Will’s team when he had to be evacuated because of his frozen feet.  I got to know Critter, Bob’s lead dog when they stayed with us.  This story tells more about it.

https://www.minnpost.com/community-voices/2011/05/remembering-north-pole-trek-1986-and-looking-forward-anniversary-celebratio

The only reason I’ve met all these characters is that there are so few people up in the Arctic that if anyone travels anywhere through the northern Yukon I almost had to run into them.  Old Crow (population 250 then) is the only village north of Dawson City in the Yukon Territory.  When I lived there I met everyone coming through and was often asked to fly them on tours or back to civilization and there are endless stories to tell about it.

The last I heard of Bob, he was in the news for having been rescued (again) from some remote island in the arctic ocean with his sled dog team.  The gov. was trying to make him pay for the rescue operation, but he was protesting that he did not need and did not ask to be rescued, that it had been done against his will.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s pretty cool stuff.  I personally am ready for solar powered, self-driving cars priced at under 20,000…is that day coming anytime soon?  I realize that was a badly worded sentence (subject-verb got something in the way that should come either before the two or after th3 two), but, well since we’re slightly off topic, and I’ve had too much coffee, and it’s so cold, and I’ve got hungry Chihuahuas sitting on me begging for my pizza…I mean…oh, yeah, and I DO have pizza…yes, and coffee…did I mention PIZZA…so, seems to me it doesn’t really matter about the grammar.  Just throw out the grammar…eat the pizza.☕️🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I personally think the era of 2 ton personal automobiles for the average person, is going to prove out a short term phenomena.  It’s simply too inefficient & wasteful to sustain.  Possibly even any size, long range personal car.   It seems that technology will eliminate the need for a person to transport themselves over long distances as a daily life style.  It’s possible now for a person to get their education, work a days shift, go shopping, (learn a fiddle tune) and socalize without leaving home.  I don’t exactly want to experience this future lifestyle, but whatever it is, it will be without my say so.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, how is the book coming? I’m serious, WRITE IT. Or at least record your stories with a good quality mic and let someone ghost write it. You have a LOT to tell.

I enjoyed reading about Ironman Bob, but the Verlen Kruger story is just mind-blowing…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in