Drifting too far from the fiddle

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Drifting too far from the fiddle

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 2 days ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Help! Self-sabotage has reared its ugly head again! There’s only so many slices in a pie. Used to be that my pie slices were divided up about 4 slices fiddle, 4 slices banjo. Oh oh! Now I’ve got to divide it even further to allow a slice or two of Dobro into my daily routine.

I purchased a reso-guitar from a dear friend of mine whose arthritis is really acting up and he feels he can no longer keep playing it, so I ended up with it. I’m having a blast with the thing. I’ve already learned “Jennifer’s Waltz”, “Evalina” and “I’ll Be All Smiles Tonight”!

Cricket, it looks as though I’ve got whatever “bug” you’ve got. lol. Is there any help for our “condition”?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…no, Fred…sorry.  We have drifted from the fiddling shore and we paddle around however we can…just don’t drown…but…DO HAVE FUN!  Congratulations on your new toy!  Hope you have lots of fun and can still paddle your way back to the ol’ fiddling shore here and there.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

And…now we have MORE videos to look forward too!  And, don’t forget to write your Christmas song…maybe a Dobro Christmas Carol.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Playing other instruments is good for perspective…You may find that what you thought was great fiddle backup to a slide guitar is actually very annoying, when your on the resophonic, etc.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Very good point, Dave.  And not an easy lesson to learn.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Music , more music , it’s all good !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fred I can’t wait to hear you on the dobro!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

All I can say is I’m glad music has no calories…that’s a helpful thing.

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Music may not have calories, but dining out after every darned gig sure adds ’em up! I played fiddle tonight with the group “Nina Ketron & Friends” and went out for a steak and a bake and a salad afterwards. Yum, Yum!

I’m just gonna have to slow down on pickin’ and set aside some time to record some of my stuff and post it here. I’m just way too busy picking absolutely every day/night of the week. Sure am having a blast, though. 😉

Great Scott
    Great Scott

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call … The Dobro Zone.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

wow Dobro zone !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

doo-dee-doo-da, doo-dee-doo-da.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hahaha the Dobro zone.

And Fred, you’re right. Late-night gigs with food afterwards can really add the pounds. Being a musician can quickly become detrimental to one’s health! 🙂

Angela
    Participant

I’ve messed around with guitar and mandolin.  But, there’s so much more I want to learn on fiddle, I find myself wanting to spend my time there.  Also, for me, I’ve never been to a jam where there were too many fiddles.  haha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good point, Angela…most do have too many guitars, though.  I always think of a time when the old bluegrass band I was in for two or three years would go to these big, crowded, crazy jams…I was packed like a sardine in a stuffy room, elbow to elbow with many guitars…I was pounding on my string in their frantic lightning speed renditions, and had to look down at my strings to see if I was even playing or not…couldn’t hear myself at all, just had to look down once in a while and see if the strings were buzzing around…lol.  I’m like…gosh it’s hot, and I couldn’t get outta here if i wannted to, and why am I even slamming down on this poor ol guitar when I can[t even hear it?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Angela yes Fiddle players are hardly ever to many at a jam and a lot of times there are none to be found , Another good reason to learn fiddle !

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Cricket, I can hear the music to the “Twilight Zone” in your do-dee-do-dah’s. lol

John, I played at a family reunion in Rogersville, TN today and there must have been 40 different foods to choose from and probably another 15 desserts! I sure hope those womenfolk removed all the calories before they set those foods out. lol

Cricket, I sure can relate to all those guitars in a cramped room. What gets me is those jams where you have that many guitars and each guitarist has a slightly different “beat” and they get out of time with themselves and everyone around them and don’t even realize it! lol! It’s almost impossible to sort it out without a good strong bassist trying to establish order from the chaos.

I really like Great Scott’s definition of the “Dobro Zone”.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The dobros that came to those jams were really good players.  Yeah…guitar is really no fun at a BG jam.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Fiddles are almost always in demand at jams! If you really want attention, take your fiddle to a guitar festival.

Fred, with all this good food and music, you might want to stay in East TN on a more permanent basis!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

I sure would like to move back here permanently, John. We’ll just have to see how things go. I know I’ll be here until the end of October, anyway.

I may “winter” in Arkansas for the months of November and December and finish off the winter here in sunny Tennessee.

I’m still hoping to get to meet you in person one of these days and I will keep trying to get down there. Keep me posted as to your schedule from time to time if you can think of it.

Have a great day.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Will do! I’m usually around in case you’re every over towards Boone.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in