E-Books

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

These virtual, cyber books are a very practical way to go.  They come as a PDF file you can keep on your hard drive.  I put the file on a thumb drive and go to a Staples type store that has the photo copier/printers that are much cheaper than using an ink jet printer at home, and if the music has harmony parts, I print two complete copies of the book to start with, so both players can have their own music.  I put each page in a clear plastic sheet protector made for binders, and it’s much easier to use as the pages stay flat in the binder, whereas in a book it’s hard to get the pages to lay flat on the music stand.

But the really great thing about these e-books is that many of them come with a library of mp3’s that cover all the songs so you can learn exactly how it sounds and get it all in your head from the mp3 audio file.

Mel Bay has an amazing collection of these e-books. They have done us a tremendous service in how they have actually initiated the process of contracting out specific projects to professionals that are the highest qualified people in their field to do these books.  It is astounding to me to see what they have accomplished in their perception, quality, and volume of content.  For fiddle & violin music, they have hundreds of books and many, if not most are available both as hard copy or ebooks, and many of the ebooks include these audio mp3 files as a separate download.  In the detailed description of the book it will say if the audio download is available.  The audio is not included for a lot of the books.  (If you search the Fiddle section you will get a lot of different books from the violin music section, but there is a lot of crossover)

Anyway, for cyber Monday…Nov. 27th, they have a 35% off sale on all of these ebooks.  The discount code is CM35

Joe
    Participant

thanks Rodger

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Mel Bay has been a consistent source of great musical instruction for as long as I can remember. Thanks for the information, Rodger!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Well, just an update on all this.  I just ordered a fiddle e-book by following the link from a browser ad.  (dangerous thing to do)  It was a legitimate Craig Duncan publication that is sold on Mel Bay & other sites, but I didn’t realize how by following the link from this ad I wasn’t going to their normal site.  It took me through Google Play and I did receive the e book…BUT… it had a file extension that locked it into an e-reader, which means it is useless because I can’t print it out & have a hard copy to place on the music stand.  It can only be viewed in an e-reader.  So I lost my money on that one.

I phoned the Craig Duncan site, and lo & behold, Craig himself answered the phone & I got to talk to him!  We had a discussion about unfortunate marketing scams and his music & all.  Someone has taken a file of his work and illegally selling it through Google Play.  It was great to actually talk to him.  Craig markets his works through Mel Bay, and if you make sure you’re on the the Mel Bay site then you’re safe.  If you see an ad that gets you on Google Play, (& it’s half price), then someone is selling you something that can be viewed in an e-reader but you won’t have access to the files.  Still living & learning…

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

In my conversation with Craig Duncan today, we talked about the E-Books with the performance audio tracks included and it’s value as a learning tool.  He told me that the expense of doing these high quality studio performance tracks is just too high to get a return for it cost wise.  So he can’t justify doing it with the (low) volume of these speciality books sold.  But he revealed to me that some time back, Mel Bay made a deal with him to produce just such an item as a special incentive, where nobody would make any money on it, (or they would actually loose money).  The conversation was moving fast, & I missed just exactly what the motivation was.  But they produced a Quickguide book of 43 traditional, popular tunes and he did studio recordings for all of them, which is included with the book and it is currently available for only $6.00, because they have a 25% off offer on now!  This is a steal.  I got it today, and can say this book with his recordings is a treasure…everyone here on the site would get a lot of great good out of it.  Since it’s an E-book there’s no shipping costs and available immediately.  I would only get it from Mel Bay or a quality source where you can be sure to get the download and access to the resources tab that allows you to download the audio mp3 files with it.  It’s a great selection of popular tunes you want to learn, and listening to his audio is a great learning aid.

Also I learned what I had already realized, that these E-Books with studio audio provided, by such accomplished players & composers as Ros Stephen, Mary Ann Harbar, and numerous others, are a gift to us.  There’s no way the authors, or anyone is really making much if any profit, over all, on them.  Their value is much greater than what they sell for.  Even if you only actually learn one or two tunes from them.  But the authors love the music and are humbled by the gift they’ve developed to play them and want the world to have it.  At least this is true with most of the one’s I bought in the last couple years.  There are no doubt a few dud’s out there maybe, but if so it’s more because of the genre or arrangements not fitting into our interests or abilities.

I consider this information, in regards the numerous high quality E-Books with audio, to be the most profitable, as well as to the most readers, of any post I’ve made on this site.  Here’s a link to Craig Duncans, Famous Fiddlin’ Tunes Quickguide.  It’s not my most valued book of all, but it’s a very good one, and definitely the price is right….$6.00 with the 25% discount on now!

https://www.melbay.com/Products/98431BCDEB/famous-fiddlin-tunes.aspx

Craig is a real jewel of a guy.  I really admire him…

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Rodger, thank you for the warning! And, I think it’s so cool that you got to talk to Craig. From what I hear, he’s a wonderful human being. Thanks also for the link to the real item. In this digital age, it’s so hard to navigate and know who to trust. You really would think that Google Play would have better control of what they allow to be peddaled, but there is a shocking amount of company oversight in that respect. That’s one of the great things about this forum, here you know are real people who are giving real reviews and recommendations. Thanks for taking your time to do just that for us!

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

I have the “Famous Fiddlin’ Tune by Craig Duncan (QuikGuide).

I paid $7.95 about 5 years ago – there’s a CD in the inside back cover and there are over 40 tunes.  It’s a great music book.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

And you remember you paid $7.95…5 years ago!  Wow…after 5 years I wouldn’t remember if my Granny gave it to me…

Nancy…I got the mp3’s with the download, so it’s easy to go through them and listen.  It’s much faster for me to learn it by listening, then just use the sheet music to practice. But the first piece that really jumped out for me is Beaumont Rag in F.  I have to learn that one for sure.

Angela
    Participant

I’m going to look this book up. I took a lesson from Craig a couple of years ago. He is a nice guy and super talented.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

The only reason that I know the price of the book is because $7.95 is on the back cover.😊

It’s not a downloaded ebook; it’s a soft-bound ~ 8″x 5 3/4″  book w/a CD.  I just record a tune from the CD onto my Anytune app and slow it down.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Angela the link is a couple posts above…& here it is again…

https://www.melbay.com/Products/98431BCDEB/famous-fiddlin-tunes.aspx

This link is for E-Book & mp3’s, but you can also get the hard copy book from Mel Bay.  The hard copy has online audio available now instead of CD’s.  It works better to get the E-Book & print it off at Staples type store & put the pages in a binder with plastic sleeves.  The shipping on the hard copy is more than the book.  The pages lay flat that way & you’re not fooling with clamping the book open.  I think a lot of what you’ll want to play is in this book, & it’s easy to learn them with the audio.  They have 25% off until the 25th with the code MB25.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by rodger rodger.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I have an awful time trying to learn a totally unknown (something I never heard before) song from just the music.  I can play the notes, but just can’t seem to make a real tune out of it with the little inflections with the timing.  I also got Craigs Master Fiddle Solo Collection which has 150 tunes, so many are unknown to me.  Today I was trying to play Jesse Polka, but just couldn’t make a tune out it, so I googled it and found out why…so here’s why…   (Be sure to go full screen)

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Angela: Below is the Famous Fiddlin’ Tunes’ List from my QuikGuide Book.  I am guessing the eBook has the same list.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That tune was pretty cool with Johnny and Chet…So, you play that, Rodger…whew!  Looks tough.  I enjoyed the video, but the camera work bugged me…too much of the back of Chet’s fretboard…ain’t where the action is, ya know?  Good video, though, besides that.  Those guys are so good.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Chet and Gimble that’s the advanced / advanced version , there’s a easier version that would be possible ! Maybe we could get John to do a lesson on this It would be the 2nd polka ever on BGD ???

Angela
    Participant

Thanks Nancy and Roger….I ordered the download and have it! yippee.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Did you get the audio files OK Angela?

Listen to #4 Beaumont Rag…I’m thinking you’ll like it..

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Oh wow, great video of Johnny Gimble and Chet Atkins! I didn’t know this existed.

Steve, I actually do have a lesson on Jesse Polka! Here is the link:

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/jessie-polka-jesusita-en-chihuah-fiddle-lesson/

Angela
    Participant

Yes….I got the audio files.  I’ll take a listen to Beaumont Rag.  I’ve been wanting to learn it.

I’m working on John’s lessons for the Bobby Hicks versions of Faded Love and Maiden’s Prayer.  I’m hoping it will give me some insight, so I can pick out what he’s doing with the chords on this break:

As we always say…so many things to learn!!! haha

Angela
    Participant

I put my new book to good use and learned this little ditty. People ask me if I know it, so now I can say, “Yes”

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Wow Angela that was fun !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool, Angela.  That was good…I forgot about the chicken tunes, which every fiddler has gotta know…you sound good!

fiddliferous1950
    fiddliferous1950
    Participant

Nice playing, Angela.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sounding great, Angela. That is exactly the version that I play.

Thanks for the Bobby Hicks link. That break is a perfect clinic of Bobby Hicks licks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in