Facial expressions

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nancy Bitter 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

I have noticed (as have others) that when I play, I tend to make some really weird facial expressions.  I record a song on my phone, and MAN !!!  Why do I do this????   Even when I consciously try NOT to I do it.  I have tried chewing gum,  I am getting a little better, but I still have the problem,  Anyone else do this???  Or am I just weird?  Thanks

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

You’re not alone…Quite normal for many.

When I was first learning banjo I used to get made fun of by some because of how I moved my jaw when I was concentrating hard on playing.

A certain, now very famous, bass player used to have total lack of control over her tongue when much younger…band sounded great but the only comments heard from the crowd after the show were about her tongue wagging uncontrollably all over the place while she played.

Elvis didn’t move around like that on purpose when he first started…

You can grow out of it as you need to concentrate less on the simple mechanics of playing and through being conscious of any contortions you may feel you may want to negate.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

It’s an automatic response…even Doc Watson moved his face funny when he played his guitar…best guitarist that ever lived!  One of our old friends from back home that moved away and studied occupational therapy says there’s a name for that and it’s sort of some automatic brain wiring function that is just there.  I try really hard not to do that when I play, but when I’ve made videos I see my face going crazy…some people seem not to do it, but I don’t know if it can be helped.  I have to look like an expressionless zombie when I play banjo ( if you’ll notice, most banjo players look expressionless…maybe that’s the inspiration for all the banjo jokes…lol), and I just look like I’m visiting a foreign planet when I play my guitar.  For a while, I was having some luck holding a crayon in my teeth playing, trying to get control…but I got tired of the taste of crayons…lol.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Welcome to the club.  My wife mentioned it to me and also a few good friends.  I didn’t believe until I looked at some videos I was working on for the Lions Den.  It’s half keeping time with my mouth and serious scrunches when I think I made a mistake or try something new.  Like Dave said, it’s worse when I’m concentrating too much.  It’s much better when I can just relax.  I quit worrying about it and just try to relax more.  The first time our small group played for the public, a senior home, one resident told me “you guys aren’t too bad, but it sure is fun to watch your face”.  Ouch!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…I do think the fiddlers have the worst faces…uh…no, I didn’t mean that the way it came out…but Fiddling produces the worst facial expressions.  Banjo produces that dead-pan absent look, and guitar is just in between.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I was told you gotta hold your mouth right, to get err done , some folks used to call me rubber face when I sang and played , but no one ever left and no one through tomatoes and eggs or other stuff at me , so all’s good , now after all these years they would probably think something was wrong if I quit doing it and besides it helps me to keep their attention , I keep them memorized with the combination of facial expressions hand gestures , foot and leg rhythm , instrumental play and singing the song .  I used to worry about it when I was really young , my grandma asked me if I thought bad of people like Red Skeleton , and the Marks Brothers and so on and I told her no that I liked there ways , and she said, the people will like your ways too ! After that all was OK !

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha I think Joe Walsh has my favorite guitar face.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Now that’s entertaining shameless freedom ,LOL

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

for those in need of instruction…haha

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Angela
    Participant

I’m working on trying to smile. Not easy with a fiddle under your chin. Everybody says I look too serious. And the other thing that happens is my jaw cocks to one side. Haha. Not sure what to do. I’m not good enough to be a studio musician. Lol

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Angela.
    Rock
    Rock
    Participant

I’m a frowner,  maybe because I’m thinking that doesn’t sound right!  🙂  I wish I could smile too!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ve always been amazed that John smiles and plays all at the same time…I’m like…how does he do that????

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I noticed when he does a part he likes he smiles , like oh good one , just guessing through . Or when I am playing along with him and he smiles , I’d like to think , he’s thinking your coming right along there keep it up , good job and Atta boy !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

His smiles on the videos are very supportive, aren’t they?

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

Smilen John!!!  🙂

Rock
    Rock
    Participant

I don’t feel good about that last comment,  I used to know a used car salesman who went by that.  I take it back!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…we know our John’s smiles are for real.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Haha I’m actually like Rock — I frown when I concentrate. So, I sometimes have to remember to smile!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I always have people around me asking…”what’s wrong?”  I’m like…”Nothing at all…this is my happy face!”  lol, I always look sad and upset, but I’m normally a pretty happy person.  When I was a waitress I was always getting reprimanded for going around with a dour look on my face…supposed to just smile like a crocodile…I just can’t do it.  It’s so fake when I try!

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

yep !!! It does seem when I am concentrating real hard that I make the most expressions.  When just playing at a jam for fun, I rarely do it

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

WOW that was uplifting…..thanks!

Nancy Bitter
    Participant

Well now I just dont feel soooo bad after seeing THAT  video !!!!   All the responses were uplifting and some were funny!!  But all the suggestions and comments are spot on.  THANKS SOOOO MUCH

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in