Fiddle Camp 2019

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Steve Srader Steve Srader 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, we are having a lot of fun this summer at our “Fiddle Camp” that meets Tuesdays in Blowing Rock Memorial Park. Everyone is fitted with a fiddle and playing so beautifully! We have around 50 students in six different classes, learning fiddle, guitar, and step-dance. These photos may take a moment to load!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow, impressive crowds of kids there!  A bright spot in America’s musical future!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Wow very nice , wish I could be there to see and hear in person , John that’s got to make your heart skip to my Lou , happy stuff !

Eddie
    Participant

Great stuff! I love how music puts smiles on kids faces.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Wow, I so wish I could be there! I’d love to learn to step dance

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Every community should have something like this going on!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

I agree Cricket !

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I suppose…when every community has a John Cockman they will…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I guess that’s the reason they don’t…lol.  Not enough John Cockmans to go around.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Haha my kids think there are plenty of me already lol! Thanks guys. :)  We have been really busy here. I have been teaching some open jam classes in the evenings as well, and various families have been hosting music nights. I’m also really happy (relieved) that my seven-year-old (Morgen) has really made big musical leaps this year, fiddling and singing!

Tomorrow’s camp:
    Beginner 1 and 2: Groundhog
    Intermediate: Angeline the Baker
    Advanced: Bonnie Kate and an advanced break on Shady Grove

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

John , have the camp kids decided not to do the Bonaparte lessons this year just curious ?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

In addition to all the wonderful comments made on this topic, John, I love your fiddling cap! :)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

My son-in-law wears those kinda caps like John wears all the time too.

John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Steve, we are definitely learning Bonaparte’s Retreat this summer! Thanks so much.

This week’s fiddle camp was so difficult. It was a time of coming together to grieve. The Russgrove Family, one of our long-time fiddle camp families, was traveling the day before and their van was struck by an oncoming truck in South Carolina. The father, Thomas, and the two daughters, Esther and Ruthie, were killed. The mother, Leslie, and the son, Ethan, are still in the ICU but are expected to survive. You can see Thomas and Leslie standing on the right-hand side in the fifth photo from the top of this page.

We decided not to cancel camp, but to spend the time comforting each other and singing songs that the Russgroves loved. I will mention more about this in the private prayer request forum.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sending prayers out for all.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Thanks John for the response , also prayers out for all !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.